Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

env sketch WIP

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

After the high quality feedback Ive been getting on my new work, I decided to try and rework some of my sketches.

This was somewhat inspired by the dorm that Corbin Dallas lives in from 5th element, only darker and more imprisoning. Like the living quarters on a ship or something. I dunno.

The original of this was pretty weak, so I'm trying to breathe some new life into it via pshop. Also wanted to try some lighting practice.

Not my strong point, but still fun.

This is about 2 hrs of work:

room.jpg

Replies

• jdevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdevin polycounter lvl 18
    There should be some bounce light coming from where light is hitting the floor. It would define the nearest corner/side of the bed a bit more and make it pop. Another thing that jumps out at me is the black line around the window, kill it now! The glow should be obscuring the window slightly so the line seems out of place. And last get some color in there. Otherwise, good start! I like the canted angle of the shot, makes it much more interesting.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the tips, I faded the outline down a little, didn't like it completely gone, it made the door look completely flat without it, but I suppose it needs more tweaking.

added some more light and redid the door texture.

room2.jpg
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Check your perspective. It seems that the vanishing points on the matress and desk don't line up. Otherwise you captured a good mood

Scott
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    It looks like you added light to the wrong end of the bed (re jdevin), it would light the foot end, possibly bouncing up from the strong patch on the floor. The walls have almost the same value throughout, I feel that the bed wall would lighten as it comes toward us. You'd probably see some glancing specular lights from the surface, especially if it were like a painted granite material. Also, the bed sheet still looks a bit flat. I would lighten the topside even more. Do you have a ref for this lighting setup?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Hi, I am pretty interested about learning to draw correctly in perspective, so I made a paintover as much to learn as to crit. If I've made any errors someone please give me a slap tongue.gif

As far as I can see it's one point perspective, with everything vanashing into one point and all other lines horizontal. The camera angle is pretty cool but means it can be tricky getting all the horizontal lines right (for me anyway.) So please excuse any slightly wonky lines in my paintover.

here's your painting with some perspective lines overlayed. The lines from the cieling, bed and desk should all line up I think.
    http://www.rooster13.plus.com/persp1.jpg

I used the perspective lines from the cieling and drew lines from the bed and desk that met at the same vanishing point, then painted over using the new lines as guides.
    http://www.rooster13.plus.com/persp3.jpg
    http://www.rooster13.plus.com/persp2.jpg

As I mentioned, sorry bout the wonky horizontal lines. Again if anyone notices something wrong with mine please mention it!
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    not bad dabu, rooster.
    to get an accurate direct highlight on the floor, run a perspective line from the roof line to the VP, then put a lightsource point anywhere you like on that and project from the lightsource through the door's window frame onto the floor. Drop some lines vertically from the window frame to the ground plane. Then drop a line from the light source to the ground plane and use the lightsource ground plane VP through the points you made at the bottom of the door to project the shape the light is going to make inside on the floor. Did a quick sample, it's sloppy but hopefully it makes sense. You could move the light to the left a little for dramatic effect on the bed.

Take a look at Andrew Loomis' Successful Drawing book, pages 85-88 for reference.. second row, here. p88 for an artificial source is what I'm referring to.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    My god, I love this forum, thanks for the paint overs, boy was my persp wonky. I will tweak more and hopefully get it better!

Scott, I really love your cyberpunk sketches.