Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WW2 German Infantry update

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
I finally finished extending this guy from bust to full model. That is unless anyone see's anything glaringly worthy of improvement. He's part of my big high res demo reel push, and will post some shader/materials render tests later.

gerry1.jpg

gerry2.jpg

gerry3.jpg

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great to me. I always like the smooth clean restraint of your hi poly work.

EDIT - After looking back over the shots, I thought it might be worth detailing out the eagle insignia on the breast pocket and the collar patches rather than just having a raised up section to represent the 3d shape.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Dang man, thats amazing. Nothing I can see to improve on. Looks great. Would you grace us with some control mesh viewport shots? smile.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    very adorable. the folds are yumme i like those alot.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ror, Im using spec and bump maps for the detail insignia stuff right now. I dont think Im gonna be rendering this thing out at colossal resolutions. I *think* I'll get away with it. Waddya reckon?

rendertest.jpg

Will throw up some control cage shots in a bit Sean
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    F*cking awesome.
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    Damn you for being so good! You make me want to cry!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice daz, cant wait for the care wire shots.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK, materials just about done apart from the arms. Gotta rig this bastard thing now. Hell knows how with all his kit.

Textured cages:

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

and a cheeky ambient occlusion pass using the awesome dirtmap shader ( it's so fast! ) for mental ray

dirtmap.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YUMMY! laugh.gif Thanks for those controll meshes, I'll be studying them and trying my own high poly stuff soon i'm sure. Very inspirational. ::saves to his inspiration folder::
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Daz. Looks beautiful.
    So thats a SubD model then? How do you apply that ambient occlusion map in Maya? Is it worthwhile to apply it to a low poly model? Like say in the 3 - 3.5 k range?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well yeah it's subdivided polygons ( as opposed to true subD's which are a little different ). Workflow is the same though. AO pass is just the Dirtmap shader slotted into the ambient colour channel of the material. I use it for rendering game rez models sometimes yeah.
    Its not a shader that ships with Maya. I'll try to find the link.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, oh, Daz...
    Oh.
    I love the glasses on that last ambient occlusion render. Perfect. The trousers, boots and jacket sleeve folds are just excellent.
    You are indeed "tha man".
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sexy Daz sexy!
    Id love it if you rendered out finished versions of him in front back and side profiles at a good res to show the details. That way he could be used as a good refrence for making more nazi's.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, it looks awesome. Glad to see you finishing this one. Those boots are just drop deap hot man.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    Wow!!...fantastic work Daz...such attention to detail is making my eyes water, very inspirational indeed...your modelling rocks...and very realistic aswell..please by all means post updates..I'd really like to see this finished, possibly animated to do it even more justice..
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Daz: Yeah , go with the spec map route; I'm just too used to people round here modelling everything out.

Looking sexy as hell.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, Daz. I tried to find something to say about it, with my still limited knowledge of the german uniforms.

Where did you find that mess kit at? I haven't seen one that looked like that before. It's a very interesting set of shapes. ^_^

>> Doh! I meant canteen. Still looked cool. blush.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AHAH, Thats very cool, I love the amount of accessories around the belt and all, Nice touch.

You will have an awsome "big high rez demo reel" there.!
    Win!

b1ll
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Heh thanks guys. Thegodzero: I'll be posting pics of progress of the shader stuff and by the end I'll hopefully have a decent full render.
    KMman, he doesn't have the mess kit actually. You might be looking at either the gasmask container or the canteen Im not sure. I left out the messkit, and the bread bag. But he has pretty much everything else they would have carried most of the time. I did *alot* of detailed research here and have good pics of every single piece of kit. AFAIK it's pretty bang on for about '43 or '44 ( cue post from Scott smile.gif ) even taking into account the changes in style and pattern of helmet, uniform and other bits of kit. The only thing he really is missing right now is any indication of rank.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye daz.. good as usual

check out his hands, i think it could use more work
    they look kinda flat to me but i cant quite point it out
    if the watch sits on the lowest place on the arm, just on the wrist, then the back of the hand is a little flat or long..
    may be the bone structure of the thumb that is a little off?
    i think its both, its picky either way
    ur work and understanding of anatomy is good enuf tho to mind those little details tho, i suppose, but i may be wrong

ye i also think the folds r very well done and actually work as folds
    good job!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No, you're right man for sure. Theres something about the hands that's been bugging me but I've been ignoring it. Will take a closer look at the weekends thanks man!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Great work.

Things I don't like:

1. The mesh of the lower arm doesn't represent the "twist of skin" it should have in the position you modeled it in (sorry can explain it better... just think about how the bones turn around each other and how the skin is twisted by that).

2. the shirt has very little detail below the arms.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the place where his thumb connects to his hand looks funny, it looks like the thumb was glued over the muscle rather than connecting to it.
    his face, especially with the glasses, looks more like an officer than a grunt, maybe make him look more tired and gaunt and possibly make his glasses crooked
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    looking awesome! (as expected)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Man, that looks fantastic.

The only thing that stands out to me as a bit peculiar is the belt. It's hard to tell without an ortho view, but the belt looks to be cinched almost perfectly around his waist. With all that junk he has hanging from it, particularly on the rear left that's supporting both the knife and shovel, I'd think it out to pull down more. The only way to keep a belt with that much gear from sagging would be to cinch it quite tightly, in which case the grenade up front ought to have a more significant impression on the coat.

Regarding the hands, and I only have mine to compare with, I think the issue is with the thumbs. In that position, the tip of my thumb extends just a bit passed the first knuckle of my index finger; on your soldier, his thumb looks to come nearly to the second knuckle, though that might be a perspective trick. It also looks like the thumb might be too 'flat', meaning that it needs to be rotated a bit so the thumbnail is a bit closer to perpendicular with the finger nails rather than parallel. Again, though, it may be perspective.

Totally nitpicky, this guy is awesome and we're all looking forward to the 38-page tutorial wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Really awesome crits guys thanks. The consensus seems to be that the hands really need re-visiting, the forearms too perhaps. So having a long hard look at them tonight and I am finding some funkiness. I doubt I'll revisit the face though Marine. Reasonably happy with his look and dont have as much time as Id like ( Im not terminally ill or anything, just have a lot of other stuff to finish for this reel and trying to pick my fights )
    Tom: That's actually a really interesting crit and the weight on the belt is not even something I'd considered. However, looking back over my ref ( of which I have stacks ) of this kit being warn, both originally and with more modern high res shots of re-enactors, and surprisingly, the belt does seem to conform around the waste quite nicely without any sagging from the weight of the kit. I can only assume that the shoulder harness takes alot of the weight perhaps? Plus the grenade is obviously gonna tighten the belt but yes, you're absolutely right in that that would cause a bit more bunching up of the fabric than currently shown.
    Thanks again all. A bit more modeling work left on him after all smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, most of it looks great, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news. You aren't done. First, the two lower images are redlines on the provided shots. The lower two pockets need to be adhjusted slightly. They are tapered in such a way that they are slightly belled and bellowed, also the taper is such that the edges of the pocket appear vertical when the edge is facing you. The bottom edge is just above the bottom edge of the tunic., also the pockets are slightly wider than you have them, but check the photos for correct proportions.

The tragestelle or "Y-straps", are missing some detail, like the two "supplimental straps that attatch to the tornister or Assault frame. When a pack is not worn the ends are usually tucked under the waistbelt. The MP-40 pouches usually come in pairs, and the left one has an extra small pouch for a magazine reloading tool. The one you have does not have any loops in the back for the belt. The "D-ring", you have the canteen attatched to would be good for the left side of the front "Y-strap" if you only want one MP-40 Mag pouch. Speaking of the belt. the equipmment you have is good, but it's not all there. The Cas Mask Canister is missing some of the details, and there is no "Breadbag", on which the Canteen (feldflasch) is usually attatched.

gerry1C.jpg

gerry2C.jpg

So in regards to the belt, I went into my closet and pulled out my German infantry equipment and took really bad digital photos of it for you, in hopes that this will aid you in getting a better idea of the belt layout.

4DAZ0000_th.jpg

Here's the veiw of the reverse of the layout.
    4DAZ0012_th.jpg

Now I am a big guy, and most of these folks at the time weren't, so "real estate" on the belt was limited, so they tended to carry the bayonet over the Spade, so that the belt loop of the frog was between the spade carrier's belt loops.
    4DAZ0008_th.jpg

This is how the Canteen attatches to the Breadbag. The Canteen clips to the leather re-enforced D-rings at the front base of the belt loop, and then the strap that secures toe cup to the canteen, slips through a leather loops stitched into the front flap of the breadbag.
    4DAZ0013_th.jpg

The bag usually carries small essential items, like the days rations, utensils and small personal items, and is fairly roomy.
    4DAZ0016_th.jpg

Here it is, opened. up.
    4DAZ0015_th.jpg

For comparison's sake, here is an Afrika Korps Set. Showing the plastic coated Feldflasch, and Mess tin. (The strap on the mess tin is looped through a D-ring and leather loop on the opposite belt loop from the one on the Canteen.)
    4DAZ0014_th.jpg

Thenext item is the Gas Mask Cannister, It attatches to the belt like so, Note the small hook. that is clipped to the bottom of the cannister. while the shoulder loop goes up over the right shoulder.
    4DAZ0011_th.jpg

Heres the Cannister away from the belt
    4DAZ0001_th.jpg

Heres Detail of the lid, it's latch and the two wie loops for the shoulder strap
    4DAZ0002_th.jpg

Finally we get to the tragestelle or "Y=straps" Here is my set out on the table, showing the supplimental straps.
    4DAZ0003_th.jpg

Another view of the Y straps.
    4DAZ0005_th.jpg

Details of the hardware and fasteners at the ends of the straps.
    4DAZ0004_th.jpg

Detail of the D-rings, and the large metal ring where they all meet in the middle, Note the fold over and the color change. The leather is shaved on the outer surface, so that the smooth side of the leather is against the uniform.
    4DAZ0006_th.jpg

Here are the standard Infantry pouches for the 7.92x54mm Mauser ammunition for the Kar98 rifle front and back views.
    4DAZ0007_th.jpg

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of what the average combat load for the wehrmacht and Waffen S.S. combat infantryman was like. Hope this helps.

Scott
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Well now, no more "throwing down" ww2 info for me. Scott is liable to kick my ass with knowledge smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Bloodyhell! smile.gif This absolutely rules Scott thanks so much for taking the time. And here was me thinking I had good ref! Gimme some time to digest all of this and I'll post some thoughts. Thanks again man!
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Scott is sure a nazi about acurate looking nazis...heh

Lookin' good regardless!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang scott, I think thats the best crit i've ever seen. O.o ;D And this is why i love polycount.

btw that last image has an extra G in it.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom The reason the belt doesn't sag is not just because of the Y straps, but because there are small aluminum (aluminium for those in the U.K.) hooks that emerge from one of three vertically spaced small holes in line with the center pleats of the front pockets. Originally the soldier was not issued "Y-Straps". and it was assumed that the cotton web straps inside the tunic would hold up the equipment, but that didn't work so the Y-straps usually only issued with a cow hide flapped back pack , or assault pack, became general issue after the polish campaign. but the belt hooks were retained and supplimented the Y straps, until the M-1944 uniform.

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well now, no more "throwing down" ww2 info for me. Scott is liable to kick my ass with knowledge smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What, and you ever thought you had a chance against the legendary Mr. Ruggels?! smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More than Welcome, Daz. It's what I do, on the side. Research and Military rentals for movies and some re-enacting. If you need another shot or angle on any of these pieces let me know. I have a similar project with an Imperial Japanese Soldier in progress, though it's not as far along as I don't hae yet the High poly skills. But I'm working on it.

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK:

Pocket tweaks: Sweet, no problem there.

Supplemental straps for the Y straps: OK I fess up. I saw them late in the day in the ref, and decided I couldn’t be bothered. Lame of me! You’ve noticed it, so Im putting ‘em in. I see theres a lot of extra detail in their construction that I missed too.

MP40 ammo pouches. OK, to be honest, about 90% of the ref I found of a German soldier carrying an MP40, they were indeed on both sides as designed like you say. However, a very small percentage of them weren’t. I actually had them both in there, but quite simply, I much preferred the asymmetry of only one. I dunno, visually I just found it more interesting.

Gas mask canister *might* have all the detail you think is missing, you just cant see it I don’t think. Pic ( and close up of canteen attachment arrangement ) :

gas.jpg

Bread bag: I simply didn’t like the look of it, so left it out. But I think you’ve tempted me to put it back in. And therefore also re-arrange how the canteen is attached.

Mess kit: I really left it out ‘cos things were starting to get so cluttered, and I had plenty of ref of them not carrying it. I might throw this back in. Not sure.

Shovel/Knife: Now, I noticed that often the K98 bayonet was often strapped to the shovel for real estate reasons like you say. The main reason I didn’t do this ( and I did find some ref whereby the bayonet was attached separately ) was ‘readability’. I think it just felt a little harder to read visually with that arrangement. If it’s not a heinous crime, I think Im sticking to plan A with that.

I have one remaining question and that’s really about the helmet. I can’t quite find the right insignia for the time. He’s not SS, just regular infantry. So from what I can find, there wouldn’t be any insignia on the helmet. Is that true or no?

Oh and btw, is that original kit or replica that you have there?

Again, can’t thank you enough Scott. Let me know if you need any high poly modeling tips with the Japanese soldier.

This is indeed why PC rawks!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Scott for the second time you need to start a uniform reference site.
  • da_milkman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    da_milkman polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking great Daz, really fine work.

Scott, thanks for the equipment pics, I have been playing around with a high poly Waffen SS trooper in fall camo and this will help immensely on the equipment.

One thing Scott, the link to the 7.92x54mm Mauser ammunition pic doesn't work (goes to a 404).

Great thread!
  • Teddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teddy polycounter lvl 18
    fantastic model! especially the head smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tom The reason the belt doesn't sag is not just because of the Y straps, but because there are small aluminum (aluminium for those in the U.K.) hooks that emerge from one of three vertically spaced small holes in line with the center pleats of the front pockets. Originally the soldier was not issued "Y-Straps". and it was assumed that the cotton web straps inside the tunic would hold up the equipment, but that didn't work so the Y-straps usually only issued with a cow hide flapped back pack , or assault pack, became general issue after the polish campaign. but the belt hooks were retained and supplimented the Y straps, until the M-1944 uniform.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'll be damned. Since there weren't any visible belt loops, I assumed those Y-straps had to distribute all the weight and seemed likely to sag near the hips, but this makes more sense. Pretty clever design. I'd guess I had better keep my mouth shut before I give Darren any more bad advice. You're an amazing resource, Scott - excellent crit for me too laugh.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i think that if daz makes this guy's outfit perfectly gridded from the reference shots and all
    scott ruggles will have an orgasm
    im logging the f*** out of here
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hush Shotgun, I'll just smile quietly, because when people get it wrong we hoot and holler, and feel all annoyed and mock it, but when they to it right, it's a beautiful thing.

Anywah, back to Daz. On one of the shots I have photoshopped on and marked where the belt loops would go. Also I figured ouw that the main problem of the pockets are, in that the inside edges of the pockets should line up.

Another thing that comes up, in regards to the Helmet. It's an M-42 Helmet (flared, rather than rolled and beaded edge), what "year" is this guy supposed to be? as it has bearing on his equipment and color. One of the big things was that on tunics issued after 1940, that weren't officer wear, it was common for the buttons to be enameled the same "feldgrau" color as the tunic (though they darlened slightly due to finger oils and often scratched or wore, showing the aluminum underneath.) And because he hs carrying an MP-40, I am assuming he is an NCO? (Early on NCO's would have tracers in their MP-40's so as to use it like a "pointer" to direct their troops shooting. They abandoned this practice, when they figured out tracers worked both ways). If he is an NCO, he has no "Combat Award" on his left breast pocket. These are usually given out as X-Number of days doing such and such, or X-number of successful assaults. They are achievement, rather than Campaign awards. And he would at least have the "Rifleman", or "Assault" badges. I can provide reference if needed, but the Tunics I have are all in Oregon.
    gerry3C.jpg

Okay, on specific details here and there. The canteen cup you have is one of the early war "Bakelite" models (Real ones from the time ring like bells almost, fake plastic repros just "thunk" like plastic.) This was usually replaced later by the Aluminum cup variety, which siurvived into the 1970's with the Bundesgrenschutz. But the bottom of the bakelite cup, has a groove, for the leather or web (Afrika and Ersatz) strap to pass through and retain the cup. The crescent shaped "feet" on the cup on either side of the groove are hollow and countersunk equal to the flat portion ofthe groove.
    4DAZ0020_th.jpg

On the canteen itself the hook you have looks a bit more "East German" rather than Third Reich. Here's a shot of the back of the canteen (Aluminum Cup) with the hook pushed up to show it's shape and working
    4DAZ0021_th.jpg

The Gas Mask Cannister, the ends are a little off. The Lid has a rolled edge, and comes up to a very shallow conic section, and THEN has a flat top.
    4DAZ0017_th.jpg

The bottom is not flat, either, and is sunken in, and has a circular stiffening rib on the botto. These cans are tough, and are double walled steel and as close to air and water tight that manufacture allowed at the time. (don't fall back on one, it does horrors to your back)
    4DAZ0018_th.jpg

Speaking of backs, Here what the end of the "Y-Strap" looks like. If your man is of average for the time height, then the steel hook sewn into the strap would hook under the belt. If he's a little tall, then he may have a leather loop with a "D-Ring" hooked to the back, and the belt passed through the loop. Also not the rather complicated adjustment araingement.
    4DAZ0026_th.jpg

As to the Helmet Insignia, it was ordered that the helmet Decals be painted over. however, rear line units, or units that had Helmet covers, tended to ignore the order. (S.S. Units especially). However most m-42 helments were never had the decal applied. (S.S. Units being the exception). Decals were applied at the point of issue, anyway, not the manufacturer. So it would be likely that he would not have a decal,but just in case you need reference, here'sa closeup on one of my helmets.
    4DAZ0025_th.jpg

As to the issue of clutter. Well to me, nothing says to me "Combat Infantryman" more than a profusion of "crap" on his belt and person, modified by the desire to maintain a low weight, and noise discipline. As to the Asymetry, well, he needs "something" on the other side of his buckle. May I make a couple of Suggestions?
    1.) a Standard Mauser "Tri-Pouch". So he has some Rifle ammo as well?

2.) a Tool Kit for an MG-34, or 42.

This might be useful if the subject might be an assistant gunner for an MG team. Having a tool kit, though it would be worn on the "wrong" side as per Doctrine.
    af_1_b.JPG
    6c_1_b.JPG
    26_1_b.JPG

It may be that you would have to model an MG-42 then.
    mg%20partsSML.jpg
    Incidentally, heres a link on how to fieldstrip and clean an MG-42 http://198.144.2.125/MG42/FULL/Disassembly.wmv

3.) You could give the guy a Luger holster. This re-enactor photo shows a not uncommon wear for the pistol. Tha advantage is that it has the same ammo as the MP40.
    mg-42%20soldat%20SML.jpg

The white square on his tool pouch is an Asbestos pad, for removing the barrel and replacing it. Note also the subdued buttons. Also note that the shoulder strap leading to the holster is attatched to his belt with a leather loop with a D-Ring. Also note the "subdued" steel belt buckle (also lacking the pigskin pebbling pattern on it, being smooth). It may be to your advantage to model a low "dome" on the buckle so that is shades and reflects properly.

A note on the leather equipment. For the "Y-Straps", and the belt, they were made of Horse Hide, sothey didn't stretch at all, twist? a little but no stretching and little rumpling. Pistol Holsters were cow hide, so they dis stratch and conform to the pistol's shape over time. Shovel Carrier and rifle pouches were made of Pigskin, and were pebbled like the outisde of An American Football, and tended not to stretch much either.

As to the stuff being repro? some of mine is, but most isn't, which is a testament to German workmanship and wise choice of marterials. Of the WW2 stuff, it tends that British, U.S. and German stuff lasts. Italian doesn't, and the Japanese had a hell of a time adapting to the jungle environments so the leather gear rotted, so was not brought back as souverniers, much, and the Rubberized cloth disitegrated over the years due to the fact that natural rubbers and latexes dry out and turn to dust. So when protraying the geear, the wear may not be what you would expect, if your experience with leather is cow hide.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Great. The bakelite cup I built does actually have the groove built in, you just can't see it in that shot. I'll do the changes to the gasmask container. I'm going for later in the war yes, hence the M42 helmet pattern. ( hadn't picked out a specific year. I was thinking perhaps '44 ) From what I found I didn't think the insignia is common and now you've explained why thanks. But I like the look of the decal so I might add it so thanks for that shot.

Much that the MG42 is a formidable and awesome looking weapon, I don't have time to build it. The MP40 is there so I'll go with that. But I like the suggestion of the Mauser ammo pack. I actually have that built allready.

I'm on a really limited time budget here ( for reasons I can't really go into ) so at some point my initial strive for accuracy will become a compromise. But I can't thank you enough for the advice and the ref.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, no problem. He has boots, so it's likely he's a vet. If not He would probably have the lace yups, and the gaiters (similar, but not the same to WW2 British foot arraingements.). Time? what? is it the dreaded EA "CRUNCH TIME?!?!?!" :-) As to the ref, not a problem, Hope it all works out, but the guy looks late '42, or early '43 (and sumer, probably in Russia), rather than '44. but so fat it looks good. the most glaring things to prioritize would be to put a pouch over the end of the strap over the belt, fix the gas mask Cannister, and add the supplimental straps. Breadbag if you can swing it. If you want something on his belt, duplicate the canteen, and put it on a loop with a D-ring.

So after the Demo Reel, you putting the mesh up for sale on Turbosquid? :-)

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Heh no not crunch time. I just meant I dont have much time to get this done for the people that want to see it. Im necessarily having to be a bit cryptic sorry smile.gif I'll definitely be doing all these updates though yeah.

I dunno, hadn't thought about it. Do you really think that I could make any money there? Whats your experience with Turbo squid? This thing had been a labour of love and I'd loathe to just throw it out there unless it was of any real benefit to me. ( exposure is not a bad thing though I guess ) If anything, Id prefer to sell the fully smoothed model without history, since I'd be giving away so much more by giving away the control cage If that makes sense?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No History, smoothed mesh, Maps and materials, with the MP40m, and basic materials, you could probably offer this at around $200-400 range (serious customers only). You may not get a lot of hit, but Turbosquid is cost free to the sellers, they just take a cut of each sale. You could also sell Movie star heads there. it's not a steady income by any means, but surprise cash is always a good thing.

Scott
  • artgoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artgoon polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really trust Turbo Squid. They would retain some rights for it and it would limit Daz's options for selling it further in future.

You know, you could just outdo Turbo Squid and just sell it through your own personal site. 100% profit without useless overhead. They take a sizeable cut just for hosting it. Then just advertise on cgtalk or heck even TurboSquid.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great Daz, I really dig the look, even without any shaders. You've really outdone yourself.

Oh and Scott? you scare me... badly.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop B-b-but. Doesn't San Francisco mean anything to you?!?! *sob*

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Big update.
    Restructured hands and forearms, Added 'breadbag', Mauser ammo packs, previously missing harness straps, fixed gasmask cannister, lots of other little details. Still lots to fix ( I have obvious penetration issues here and there and no arm texture )
    Im SO done with modeling bits and bobs! I'm getting a nasty moire in the tunic in my test animation. Anyone got any good insights here? I guess knock back the contrast in the thread pattern? And whats the best kind of filtering to combat it? I seem to have mip map, Box, Quadratic, Quartic and Gaussian at my disposal

gerrynew1.jpg

gerrynew2.jpg

gerry200.jpg

gerry240.jpg

gerry320.jpg
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Enjoy weighting all those points!

Looks good.