Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

More forsaken stuff...

Sean McBride
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
Latest update from the mod team i'm on at our webpage.

Here's my latest stuff for them.

content_070.jpg
content_071.jpg
content_069.jpg

We're working towards alpha testing so i've got alot on my hands right now, I know the vest sucks... I'll probobly be going back later on during beta and reskinning the whole vest.

[edit] Oh yeah, were in the february issues of PCGamer US(special mega shoot edition or something)and PCGamer UK. Look for us if you're subscribed. smile.gif

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool. Your texturing has improved a lot!
    The lines between his fingers look way too black, makes his fingers look cartoony.
    You're right about the vest, it looks pretty boring right now... although it also looks like it's solid, and basic enough to be good armour - not everything has to have little clips and glowing bits everywhere to be practical in a war zone smile.gif
    I'd maybe throw a little more colour variation into the metal/plastic on his helmet. Is it gonna have environment maps to better indicate which materials are which? A good spec map would go a long way to making this look really "real" ... good work.

MoP
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mop smile.gif

Yep, the helmet has a spec map on it, and it does reflect what is around it. I'll get some ingame shots of it soon.

You're right though... i think sometimes when you (generalized you) are working on a character like this and its a warzone character... you really don't need hundreds of little bits and bobs. It looks great as a show piece but alot of the time its lost in the action of the game anyway. I do however want to improve this later, just concentrating on getting it out there you know? smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The only comment I have to offer is that his chest armour looks very boring. Besides that the rest of the model rocks my socks.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really great Sean. The only thing Im not sure about anatomically is his neck in the 3/4 view. Theres something a little strange about it. I dunno, wouldn't it angle the other way no matter how thick it was? Hard to explain...lemme think smile.gif He looks really well done though.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK I figured out what I meant smile.gif necks kinda grow outta the head at angle like so below right is I guess what Im trying to say!

sean.jpg

Ridiculously minor anatomical crit though. Really nice work.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH! Thanks daz smile.gif I hadn't even noticed that. :O I guess its that stare at something so long you stop seeing things.

I'll definantly tweek that.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    Hey,

Tight model/texture. I agree with Daz about the neck thing. I might even pull that edge back further than what he illustrated but that's probably just a stylistic preference.

I personally like the vest. Has a nice dull metalic feel to it. My only crit would be that that upper strap on his lower torso seems off compared to the lower strap. Other than that, maybe just some minor scraping and erosion would look cool.

Overall, a nicely detailed texture map. Like the boots too.

Good luck with the game

-Demon
  • HotHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HotHead polycounter lvl 18
    I like the vest the way it is. I think it draws a nice contrast between the other more detailed areas. You dont want the model to look to busy everywhere.

I'm liking the way it is overall. Texture work is really nice, but head area over all is too dark. The highlights help but the actual color of the head is too black. Maybe make the helmet a little lighter, similar to the vest. That way not only does the real "armor" parts of his clothing match but it'll be easier to sparate the gas mask from the helmet.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    I like the helmet - the model has a overall good highlight/shadow look but if you going to add something to the helmet i would add a circle of "earholes" (like they are inside headphones), you could add white squadname letters (alpha, beta etc.) or other (white) stickers to go along with the filtercaps. smile.gif
    But on the other hand the envShader alone will add the same effect i guess (colorvariation).
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thats a good idea flachdrache, i like smile.gif

thanks.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good N30. I would say the first thing that comes to mind is that you have a whole ton of empty flat spaces. Think of some details to fill that empty space with. Right now he seems a bit plain.

Keep up the good work buddy.