Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

donate excess talent here...

Ctrl+Awesome
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
...cause lord knows i need some.

Hey guys, im new here. commence the throwing of stale popcorn and empty beer bottles now.

I'm glad to be here. I hope the community accepts me. There is some real talent here. I need to push myself to get better and it's nice to think that i can get some pro feedback from here.

alright, here are a few pics i drew recently.
tear the hell out of 'em. Don't sugar coat anything, if it flat out sucks, pin it down and tell me why. I want to learn as much as possible.

Environment:
environment_render.jpg

Vehicle:
concept-vehicle-render.jpg

Character:
concept-character.jpg

Character Render:
character_render.jpg

Yup, if it's an obvious issue, i probablly know about it. Doesn't matter, tear into it anyway. What may be obvious to you may not strike me the same.

Thanks again. I hope to stick around.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool stuff, I like your ideas.
    Here's some technical stuff I noticed that you should pay more attention to next time you're drawing:
    1st image - the perspective seems a little off across the whole image, slightly bendy. there's no obvious light source, the shadows are all very blurry and unrefined, with no real "direction"... for outdoor scenes, pick a single strong light source and work out where all the shadows would lie from that, then brighten up areas which are affected by artificial lights, etc. Your material rendering needs some work too, at the moment everything seems to be made of the same or similar material - try giving things a lighter or darker tone to separate them out a little more, and work on highlight sizes to give the illusion of different specular levels.

Second image, the bike is pretty cool, I like the design, but again you need to work on materials... every tone is in the midtone range, there is no defined light source, which would make the bike cast shadows on itself, and would require highlights placed on the metal parts to give them better feeling of depth and form. also if you're leaving in all the black outlines, try playing around with line weights - darker, thicker outlines in shadowed areas and around "major" shapes, thinner (or even broken or nonexistant) outlines where the highlight would touch the edge of a shape, or on smaller more delicate shapes. This would definitely help give it a better sense of weight, depth and lighting.

Third image - the same thing about line weights applies here - this guy looks really "flat" because there's no sense of depth from the lines - the thickness of the lines you have here has no bearing on the strength of the form or any implied lighting. This makes it seem rather messy and flat, and hard for the eye to separate out which parts are which, giving it a very "busy" look which is not too easy to understand. The design and ideas are pretty cool, again, but the execution needs more finesse.

Fourth image - most of the comments on tone and materials from my crit of the first image apply here too - there's not enough separation in tone between the foreground and background materials, the main and secondary forms - hence everything is looking very flat again. Definitely study more about how light interacts with objects to show shape, depth and form, because that seems to be your weak point at the moment.

You could also try painting this character digitally, without the outlines, which would be more of a challenge of using different colours and values to define separate materials, rather than rely on the outlines as you are doing at the moment.

MoP
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    ideas are good, it just needs a bit more styling, and better perspective feel. reccomendation: draw every day, everything, draw what you see, and what you don't see.
    that's where all talent boils from. lots of practice,
    and patience with what you do.
    if you like to draw, then there's no problem.
    i'm sure youre tons better than you were when you were 3.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    The bike is a cool idea, although from a mechanical point of view I don't think it would work very well. I don't see how it steers, even if the tracks had some sideward flex in them it still wouldn't be enough. Also the framework seems brittle.

You could still keep your idea of tracks but separate them front and rear if you know what I mean. Also I think it would look cooler if the engine was more detailed and had fatter exhaust pipes imo.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Watch your ellipses in the wheels of the bike. All the art center kids carry ellipse sets, and it takes a super deft hand (see fang zhu) to strike an accurate ellipse with a single stroke. Don't be afraid to use guides, especially with vehicle sketches. It will only make your work stronger.
  • Ctrl+Awesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, thanks a lot guys. I'll be sure to keep many of these crits in mind on my future works.

I'll try and post more stuff soon.