Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xavis reel, now edited and shorter and cooler =P

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Xavi polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys, been a while! Here's the reel that has kept me pretty damn busy for the past few months. Most of these characters I have posted separately here before but I still think its worth showing the whole presentation plus I finally managed to get my website finished so in order to start looking for jobs I suppose doing a couple of rounds in the forums wont hurt anything except my bandwith.

Quicktime version, 15 megs (click)

Windows Media version, 16 megs(click)

and if both of those mess up or dont work or whatever, heres a link to the gallery on my site where you can make sure they work properly and whatnot.

Crits and comments are welcome and appreciated, many props to Calvin Barreto and Rahul Choudhury for their help

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa. That felt way too long. I'm thinking you should probably drop to cat model and environment by the other people cause they don't really have a point and they aren't that great looking. Also, put your contact info before the props to your peeps, cause really, the employers probably don't care.

I guess the last thing is that I can't help but feel the quality of your concepts and drawings overshadows your 3d art. I dunno. Sorry if that sounds mean.

Also, you have some severe drops in framerate. Those aren't going to go over well with the TRC. wink.gif

i hope at least someone got that....
  • LtEthe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LtEthe polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, drop the environments. Drop the comic art pages as well. Display your comic art in a flat portfolio, or as pictures on a website. Still pictures on a demo tape is a waste IMO. Video is the worst medium to display those skills. Also, by refining your tape so it just shows your models, concept to animation, you show you have focus, the mark of a professional.

A general reel, which displays all kinds of stuff, has the smell of art college graduate.

Keep the stills on your website or in your flat art portfolio.
  • Xavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xavi polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, yeah I was afraid that it was going to be an unnecesary long reel, its good to have some affirmation that in fact it is.
    Ill try to do some editing sometime this month (hard for me to get around the equipment to do it)
    thanks!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Xavi, I can't really offer you any pointers cause I don't know what I am tlkaing about, but I know that you create quality work, and deserve a job, so all I can say is "Go get em tiger" (I had to say it dude)

Good luck buddy smile.gif
  • Xavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xavi polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, sorry to bump this up but I took the suggestions to heart and changed the length of the reel (over a minute shorter) and changed the music as well.
    The old links on the top should take you to the new versions, please take a look and let me know if its any better this time around.
    Thanks a bunch!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool man, good stuff. As an FYI, a 2 minute reel is considered long, so 2:34 is still pretty long I think. You could concentrate it more still. Also, hair: the secondary motion on the blonde chicks hair looks really bizarre. Like the hair has a life of its own. Plus it ( and the peasent dudes hair ) could sure use some alpha. Generally, unless youre a highly skilled animator too, I would not tend to animate models If youre advertisinng yourself as a modeler. non animating turntables are usually the done thing. Good luck!