Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reel Pieces.... Need help...

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi I was considering posting this in the general section do to the nature of my post. I'm sorry for bringing up this annoying situation. My tough times are getting worse so I'm getting to the point where I need to have a full time job in the industry or join the the military. Advice from people in the industry really needed... Thanks.

My question is if the quality of the work in this post is good enough to get me a job, as in make an art team want to hire me if they like me after the an interview... The page layout is how I plan to present them when the viewer clicks on the thumbnail of each model. Thank you for your time.

Alex

adat.jpg

m1.jpg

gboat.jpg

cte.jpg

cp40.jpg

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think the layout is absolutely fine Sage. But you are going to show wires somehow yes? Youre talking about page layout on a webpage right? It's pretty important to add wires, and the stats of the model. Polycount etc.
    Btw, I think the quality here is definitely professional enough to get you a job. My immediate thought was that they looked really well done, but the textures have a washed out look. Like they're printed in an old book or something. The one that I least like is the tank second from top. I think youve gone overboard with the hi-lights. Particularly around the gun. There are too many and they get too bleached. Dial some of the diffuse colour back in. I think one hi-light would suffice to simulate outdoor lighting. Two or more hi-lights around the gun like that suggest indoor with spotlighting. It also looks a little flat, and could use some more shading. Note how the underneath of the back of the turret is the same tone as the top. You might want to even even experiment with adding a subtle ambient occlusion lighting pass to the textures. Or its not too hard to fake that by hand. Go to the tutorial page of this site and look at this tank to see what Im driving at: http://www.lightengine3d.com ( I know its a much higher res model but even so ) That would really save it from feeling flat. Or simply render them like that but leave textures as is. Either way, some more realism and a less illustrative look could help you here I think. Nice work, good luck!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Daz. That tank almost got me my first real full time job at least two years ago so I sort of have a little love for it. The art lead of the team really loved it, but he felt my work was inconsistent. All the models are made to fit in RTS games except the Cute Tank. I do hate the very hard highlights on the M1 tank and have been working on getting natural looking lighting into my textures.I wanted to see what you guys thought of the work before I tweeked anything. I'll probably fix that texture since now it seems to be bringing me down. By layout I meant website presentation layout. Do you think those images are too big?
    the stats I have limited myself to
    Missle tank 600 polys one 512 x 512 tga texture with alpha
    M1 595 polys 1 512x512 tga texture with alpha
    Greek ship 343 polys 1 512 x 512 tga texture with alpha
    Cute tank 950 polys 1 512 x 512 tga texture no alphas
    Curtiss P 40 539 polys 1 512 x 512 tga texture no alpha

I will be showing the wires and texture layout on the site and in my reel. My plan is to have 10 finished models for my reel. Show some buildings, landscapes and a human. I hope to animate the human as well just to show I can do it well. If I show a human model will that make me seem like I just want a character artist position? I like modeling everything so I'm trying to avoid falling into any kind of category. Let me know what you think. Later.

Alex
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No, they're not too big I dont think.

As for including animation, well at most places now ( but depending on their size ) as a modeler ( especially a predominantly world/prop modeler ) it's pretty unlikely that you will get to do any animation. If the character model is good, no harm in including it, but it's definitely time to think about specialization, since that's where the industry is headed. Im in the middle of doing a reel for the first time in years. In it I have character models, and nothing else. Oh apart from some traditional 2D Art.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Daz.

Alex
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey Alex

Nice work man...I gotta agree with Daz on the second tank hilights but apart from thats some really sweet looking stuff.

Btw soemthing i wnated tyo say on MSN the other night was where do you want to go in the industry? are you going for props and such or enviroments or what?

Goodluck job hunting.

John