Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need tips for UV mapping :\

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
Yea...I just need some tips on how to layout a UV map. This is
the model and map i just modeled and maped tongue.gif.

buzadone9vh.jpg

And here are the maps:

bodyraw2tc.th.jpg

rawhead2ln.th.jpg

I need some tips mainly on how to map the shoes. I still dont love this model..I think I could do better if I just wasn't so impatient. Anyway, I just wanna get this model out of my hair so please help tongue.gif.

Replies

• dynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dynamic polycounter lvl 18
    try keeping the size of the peices proportional so the same amount of deatil is spread over each part of the skin
    hmmmm i dont think the head map needs to be a 512 and can be a 256
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks fine to me
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Here are some general tips I try to follow when UV mapping something:

1) Try to split UVs along natural seams. This would be areas that you'd normally have seams in the clothing. If possible, put your seams in areas that aren't normally as visable, such as the inside of the arms or legs.

2) Try to minimize warping by keeping your UV triangles proportional to your geometry. It's not possible to do prevent this 100% other than splitting your UVs into thousands of individual clusters. Using a placeholder texture with a checkerboard pattern is really good for this, you can see where the UVs are skewing or non-uniform much easier.

3) I generally try to keep the pixel density pretty even across the whole model but it's often a good idea to make some areas (such as faces)larger and other areas (such as the soles of the feet) smaller.

4) Share texture space if you can, but be careful about mirroring the body, especially with clothing. You may not notices that the hands and arms are mirrored, but you will notice when the shirt and pants are. Also, faces look more natural when they're slightly asymetrical...so if you can afford to not mirror faces, they'll generally look better.

5) Use fewer large textures over many smaller textures. For characters, I'd reccomend mapping any flesh (arms, heads, etc) to a seperate texture purely for the flexibility it gives you in generating variations very easily and economically.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The mapping seems fine. Feet are difficult. Usual course of action for me would be to map them from the sides (and just let the texture mirror over).
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Mkay, thanks guys. I think I got it. Im doing another anime
    model next...so I will post that here whenever I start.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    also, try to minimize the distance between the parts of the model. try spacing as much as possible 2 pixels apart,
    and 1 pixel along the edges.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]

5) Use fewer large textures over many smaller textures.

[/ QUOTE ]
    this is something i've been unsure about. would 3 256 maps not be better than 1 512? or does the amount of maps affect performance more than their total kb?

edit; ah I think you were referring to within the map splitting up the uv pieces. Still I'd be interested to know the answer if anyone has it?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, texture switching takes time. Not sure how much but you'll want to avoid it where possible.
  • Renardin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renardin polycounter lvl 18
    I have an important question, I am a texturer but I have basic skills @ gmax. How can I make UVmap/unwrap of the models of my team ? any tutorials ?
  • dynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dynamic polycounter lvl 18
    does gmax even have uv tools in it?
    if not youll need to use max
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, gmax shares many of the UV tools that max has.

UVW Map
    Unwrap UVW
    UVW XForm

They aren't as feature rich, but the basics are there. Most Max tutorials can be applied to Gmax.