Anyone thats interested can check out my website at www.DarkerGreen.com
Comments and crits are definatly welcome, encouraged even wink.gif

James Ball

Replies

• rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool man, I like it, I like the design on the back of the turtle looking guy, and the highpoly stuff is really nice as well, all I can say is just keep doing it and adding more stuff, variety is always good, try maybe doing something realistic, since alot of studios are going for that these days. smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I'd add some detail to frame the text box on the front page. If anything, add some cellspacing to it.
    In your 3d gallery, I see you organized your models and textures horizontally with each other, which is cool, but I'd also add some subtle divider between those too (like a short, light green, dotted line).
    Oh, and the menu looks like you justified left, but the contact button looks justified center. I'd also add atleast a home button to all the subpages. Pesonally, I don't like to rely on people using the back button to return to the home page wink.gif

On the positives, the colors are good, it's clean, and it moves fast. I like it smile.gif

Edit: Demo reel seems jittery to me for some reason. Maybe it's my computer though :/ (otherwise it looked good)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    You definitly have got some good stuff, I agree with rockstar, get some realistic stuff going, and more stuff in general. I like the site, nice clean design, BUT I like to have pictures open in a separate window, i makes looking at stuff faster imo.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks to everyone who replyed...

Mr_Rockstar: Do you mean more realistic models? Like some regular human stuff?

notman: Yeah I was thinking of putting some divider lines or something like that in, thanks.

ghost_rider: Once again I'm kinda curious by what kind of realistic stuff you mean. Models/textures or drawings? I guess now that I look at it alittle more objetively most of the work I put on there is more on the fantastic side.

thanks all
    James Ball
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think what they mean is to try to make your textures look photorealistic or show that you can do it. I like the work but you should also show that you can model low poly models without all those quads. In other words just put polys only where they are needed. Keep it up! Later.

Alex
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty nice, I'd suggest putting a HOME button on the subpages, or add the navigation bar to them...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    either that, or if u want to try for an environment artist position try making some realistic scenery and props.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Okay this is some stuff that was told to me when I designed my site.

Don't put up personal information that bots that scan the code can grab. Stuff like address, phone # and e-mails. Create graphics that do that for you, or put an e-mail box that gets spammed a lot and on the site tell them upon request. My suggestion is to use graphic representations on your Contact page.

Get your Resume to reflect the career you want. Your work Experience should state Games or Mods you have worked on if your going for a job in the Game industry. Also if possible get some letters of Recommendations or references. It’s okay if your Recommendations or references are another page as long as they are important in the industry you’re going for.

It looks like you’re on track with everything else and is looking clean and professional. One design element that bothers me is no copyright, and by whom at the bottom or somewhere’s on the page. If you do this you can get your name all over in none suspicious way. This way those who look at it won’t wonder what your name was again. As they look at probably 20 sites a day.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Right on...thanks for pointing that out about bots scanning for contact info. Also the copyright thing is a good point, and something I've been meaning to throw up there.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good site, I love how it's clean, and too the point. The paragraphs on the resume page could show more enthusiasm for (game) art. smile.gif

2d work is nice, surreal, freakish monsters are in abundance. Vizier and CharacterCon_Profile are cool, and HappyFamily and RockDwellings seem like the most developed game art concepts. As stated before, more realistic pieces would be an outstanding benefit to this and your 3d selection.

Ur-Thul's Weapon and Beetleman look great! Creating high poly details is one of your strengths. This is fantastic because the future of gaming is calling for an army of artist to pound out heavy amounts of content for high detail games.

Demo reel is very well put together. Personally, I've love to see a high poly, fantasy game environment based on some of those crazy ideas in your 2d gallery. :P