Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blue Villager Guy - w.i.p

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
hey all, this is the next character for my final year animation, the last being the Ugly Midget;
( http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=17526&an=0&page=2#17526 )

This one is the base for the blue villagers the midget tries to get friendly with, but I'm having a bit of difficulty. The proportions of the model seem a bit off somehow, but they match the concept in ortho views (and to me the concept looks ok). Any suggestions on proportions (or anything else that springs to mind) are much appreciated!

here's the concept;

villager%20concept.jpg
(a bad habit of mine is drawing the front in perspective then doing the side orthographic. that doesnt help.)

and the model: (head is obviously placeholder)

villager%20wip.jpg
please excuse the unsightly mix of quads and tris i'll fix that up soon

cheers!

Replies

• thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I love the front nude concept, but for some reason I don't like any other views (and clothed).

I think its the forearms.. in the front they look like they could be huge, then on the side they don't do it - and big forearms are always teh win.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Why is he so high poly? I like the concept, but the model just seems ridiculously wasteful. either define more stuff with those polys, or optimize them out. I dig the concept painting of the nude version, but the clothes are kind of garish.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    seems the hands are much smaller in the side views of the concept, i like them better bigger with the larger forarm.

the forarms you've modeled lack the nice flow that you painted, see if you can't move some verts and capture that nice curve.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    been making slow progress on this one but an update will be soon

poop; since it's for an animation I decided to go easy on the polycount in favour of smoothness, but I can see where you're coming from. Also its my second attempt at strip modelling which may or may not have something to do with it smile.gif. Ill look into optimising it some. As for the clothes, its part of the story that these guys are kinda forced-happy and the garishness is definately intended. I think when they're in their environment it will look right

Sectaurs & thnom; i think youre dead right about the hands needing to be bigger and the forearm shape, ill work on that