Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fountain environment

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Very early but have comeplete 1 texture so far, first time doinga game enviroment so bear with me hehe

render0te.jpg

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    render24ub.jpg

close of of main column which servers as the source of the water.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That's a really high texture res for something so simple as a level prop. Trying limitting yourself to something like 1 128x128 and use limited colours...

Looks good though smile.gif

Also: This board isn't like some you may frequent where multiple posts are required for showing images. You can post multiple images per post by using the {img}{/img} tags.

The {}'s would need to be changed to []'s...
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i don't see much problem with the texture size, it could be smaller, but 512 won't kill anything nowdays in most game engines, unless you are working with special space budgets, looking good tho, finish it
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Err, so blantant texture usage is acceptable? I don't think so. For a prop as small as this, the texture should be at least 1/2 the size, at 256x256. Anything larger than that, and it's going to be using it's mip-maps the whole time.

Other than that, its looking good.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, my point being was that the 512x512 seems very large for a simple prop. The entire fountain could probably be done on a single 512x512 rather than individual 512's for each piece.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    JO, try not to get so detailed all at once. Work all your textures up at the same time, for consistancy sake. Or if you want to do each thing one at a time, only take it about 50-70% of the way there, and finish after everything is done. Looking neat, and pay attention to these enviro guys giving you advice.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    render0fv.jpg

fyi i did make those texture 512x512 to make them scaleable and will likely scale them once finished.

PooP: thanx for the advice,with the walls i kept a more even consistancy by laying out all the colors and and selections at once, im gonna have to snap myself out of old work methods but in time i think i will.

this is what i have so far,over the weekend im gonna add little detials likes lamps,litter etc and if i have time ill bone my world war 2 low poly soldier i made and place him in the scene.

thanx for all the feedback,like i said this is first eniro piece ive made smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the lamp base, the hitler poster, floor textuer and inset area with the alpha(?) fence in front of it. The rest is very blurry and puffy. I'm not sure I understand the column/lamp, what is that supposed to be exactly? Also, the wall, it's just there? I apologize as I'm a bit confused by your scene. Maybe if the Fountain was huge and integrated into the wall somehow?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    its a section from the inside of s building, cloumn is there to spit out water, building is an italian office building
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    I like this little scene...at first it reminded me a bit of Prince of Persia, until you finished the texture smile.gif

Maybe you could paint in some more water damage to the fountain basin?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Where does the water come out from? You might want to put a hole on there somewhere.