Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

static mesh: Saloon Table

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
I'm learning unrealed at my school, and am just getting into importing and creating static meshes, here's my first one that will be for my western themed level.
rendersheet.jpg

C&C welcome smile.gif

Replies

• qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    u are wasting a lots of polys there. plz check your mesh again and think about what poly u have is really forming the shape of your model and which not. and then get rid of them,
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I like the textures, but the model really has a lot of polys that serve no purpose.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    what they said. or, in other words, get rid of all the verts on the table-top. the center one and that extra ring serve no purpose. lot of other wasted polys, but start with that.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Are the legs of the table supposed to be a lighter brown than the top of the table? I think it would look better if they were the same color. And a minor nitpik, but I think it'd help the realism of the texture along the side of the table matched up with the top.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The wasted polys are defineatly an issue. You can save quite a bit by having the mesh NOT be continguous, as well.

As far as the texture goes, the only thing that bothers me is that you have the beer mug the same pixel area as the entire table top. All the texture for the mug should be about the size of the "handle" in the texture. Also, use the clone brush a bit on photoshop. The texture repeats a lot.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I would make the cards on the table separate polys. That way you only need the texture for table top/bottom once and you can use more texture space for the cards so tey cna have more detail.
    Maybe make the cards a separate static mesh all together so you can use them in other places in the level.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    optomization hadn't really crossed my mind, which is funny cause it does when i make characters, i guess i'm just excited about putting my work into UT! i'm gunna make a brand new table from scratch for the final level, and ill be sure to optomize it, thanks for the feedback guys!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps you could add some shadows caused by the top on the foot.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Now now, there's no call to completely recreate what you have there. You already have a very solid base to work with. It just needs some tweaking and optimization here and there. It might take longer if you just start over from scratch again.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rendersheet2.jpg

2nd pass, a bit more optomized, resized some texture stuff....
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    much better. could take it further, though. if you're in editpoly (max) select that center vert on the tabletop and backspace it. the beer mug also has a lot of verts that aren't adding anything to its shape or sillouette. i'm guess there's cards on the bottom of the table as well? I'd go with Ikraan and make them a seperate plane, that way you could increas their number easily for variety if you had more than one table.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    one major thing that bugs me that no one else has mentioned(if i missed it i'm sorry) the planks don't line up from the top of the table to the sides, also as others have mentioned, if a vert is not helping shape, then its only helping waste! any vert that does not change the models contour should be removed (unless its there for a reason, like animation, or spliting up the mesh for texturing.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Much better 2nd time around, but I echo what mojo said about the plank seams not lining up. Keep chugging man.