Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tanya

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
I was asked to model this girl for a character for C&C Reborn. I think I will also use the model as a base for other characters. (Since my last one was not that good). I am really trying to keep a moderate polycount. I need some C&C. unfortunatly I do not have a profile of this chick, so I can only work with a semiprofile picture.
picofface6ha.jpg
picofface23yv.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The upper lip and the tip of the nose seem borked, match them to your refs.
    EDIT: Well, okay, the entire head is borked because your front ref isn't straight from the front but you're using it as if. She's looking downwards on that pic.

Besides, wasn't C&C reborn in the standard C&C timeline and Tanya from Red Alert?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    The chin has quite a number of edges that dont seem to fill out the silhouette at all. Use them wisely and add suddle form or just optimize them out.

I can't stress this enough: get better references. I'd encourage you to make a generic face from proper front/side references and then work it from there to make this character if those are your only references. There are too many anatomical problems from the side that could easily be remedied by using proper reference material. =/
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    or you can try to draw your front/side refrences from the pictures you gathered,
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
    if this might help ya out, tanya was acted by kari wuhrer ( she looks alot like ashley judd, if you can find pics of kari)in red alert 2
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Look up her filmography on imdb.com
    Quite a few movies there so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting ref. As KDR has pointed out, your front ortho isn't much use, since the head is substantially pointing down.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the crits, please continue to send more. I am still working with it.
    midway0kj.jpgconfused.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    You've got some edge flow problems but i think its comming along alright. Do you have a side referance? it appears as if you dont. Especialy for the face. 45's are great for just over all referance to get the angles right, but while modeling you'll be working with front/side/(possibly)back. Front/side shots are a MUST to get a good likeness.

Keep going. smile.gif
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok it took me a while but I found a cuple of decent references. unfortunatly this is the only profile I could find of this chick. this chick will not stop facing the camera! It is not exact but real close...this profile was hard to match with the front view. I also added the legs and thined her out some.
    glamorall3rw.jpg
    here are the references
    reference7tj.jpg
  • Daz
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    head shape is a bit cro magnon.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok hands(by seyiji), feet, smaller boobs, I gave the butt more shape, fixed the face...thats it. Crits and Comments please.
    This is going to be my "basic female" model I will use for other projects. I am going to start working on the tanya part of this model. she will be wearing camo pants, a tanktop, combat boots, and maybe dogtags. I need some ideas on how the hair should look. up or down, and how.
    glamorall21zf.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    spider, sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind, so please dont take my bluntness badly. Im usually a very forgiving critiquer. My intent is actually to help you out:

You're not getting any further responses and probably wont from this thread. Wanna know why? You've done that classic thing that bugs the hell out of me: Ask for help, help comes, ignore it, then continue to ask for help!

Seriously, you cant do a likeness with those broken orthos. Hence your head geo is funky. Read back through all the responses carefully. Get some better ref for the body too. Try 3d.sk. Keep at it!
  • HotHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HotHead polycounter lvl 18
    Just a little tip but dont model characters with their arm out at a 90 degree angle. It makes for bad deformation at the shoulders and arm pits. Instead model them at an average middle pose angle of around 45 degrees. Second just to make it easier for us to crit you work, make the wire frame a differen color than the model so we can see it easier. And change the backgroud color to something other than black cause in most cases, the default lighting usually renders the outer edges as a dark color.

Ok so a s far as the model is concered, I say your heading in the correct direction. Proportions are decent but could be more accentuated to emphasise a female form more. Cheeks could use a little tweeking to show more facial detail, but dont over do and make her look like a man. Feet are also a little narrow. But its a good start. Keep at it.
    BTW- I never played any of the older C&C games. Is that Ali Landry the infamous Doritos hottie?
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well daz, I thought that is what this thread is about, to get crits and comments to make your model better. I know that is part of it. I am sorry if it bothers you. It is ultimatly your perogative to even read each post.

hothead, thanx for the crits, I will make not of that.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I have added hair and textured the face. still workin...still modeling...C&C welcome.
    elglamorall2cf.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking kinda cartoonish, especially the hair. Try not to use the anime style hair segments with sharp corners and cut down on the black outline around the eyes. Also add some subtle colour variation to the skin. The skull shape looks a bit too flat to me as well, perhaps the hairline is too low.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    My perogative to read? You've totally misunderstood me to come back at me with attitude. I am trying to help. You seem like you're not taking in the advice given is the point I was trying to make. I get the sense that you're not really reading what people are writing. Hothead asked you a question about Ali Landry that you didn't answer. That's a sign there that you're not really reading everything. Just scanning perhaps. I'll repeat. Without a proper front and side ortho ( i.e front should be perpendicular to camera ) , you're not going to be able to achieve a good likeness here. The texture work on the hair and stuff here is looking really good, but like I said, your model will never look like your subject unless you heed the advice on how to set up your reference. Take or leave the help. Up to you.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I think the proportions are wrong on the head , the eyes are too high up as if her skull ends at her hairline ... its definatly a start tho ... and the advise about reference should be taken note of ...

eyeline1.jpg
    The Blue line shows roughly where the skull should be ending ... as you can see the eyeline is more or less in the vertical center on the head.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I finished. I went back and tried to use some more of the tips that were posted.
    for the texture I took pictures of my BDU pants, and my combat steel toe boots. I drew the texture for the shirt, dogtag, face, arms, hands, and hair.

glamorcompletetotal2wr.jpg
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    definately looking better , lets see some wires of the new head?
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok here you go
    wiresall3hp.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Those boots and pants photosource is glaring against the hand painted bits. Hand paint it all, or photosource it all. Right now the elements are meshing well. I would say to avoid that greyscale look in the shirt. The shadow under her boobs is too strong, and the highlight on the top is too white. Her skin tone is very white and could use some toning down. And her hair should not be going quite so razor straight backwards, try to get some curve to it.

New head looks alot better, keep at it man.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Poop, you should consider drawing the entire texture.

Also, her feet look real funky to me. Ankles look like they are way too thin, and feet too large. She kinda looks a little clownish in that area.

Getting better tho...
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok...I darkened the skin and addes some waves in the hair
    glamornew32vx.jpg
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, definitely an improvement! Right now the thing that bothers me the most is the shadow between her breasts, it's too dark. I don't know if you're planning it, but you might want to consider giving her skin some variation in colour where applicable of course, not randomly placed grin.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, her arms look a bit FUBAR to me, little definition and the hands are way too long.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know the definition of FUBAR
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fucked up beyond all recognition. Probably a little harsh in this case smile.gif