Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fire Extinguisher

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lore polycounter lvl 18
I want to see what everyone here thinks of this and what I can do to improve it. Important note is I was to keep this under 500 polygons.

Polycount: 492 tri
Texture 512x512

extinguisher_noshaded.jpg

extinguisher_wireframe.jpg

extinguisher_texture.jpg

Replies

• lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount Lore smile.gif
    I think the model is good.
    The texture can use some work I think. For the size that you are using I would make the labels a little bit more clear.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    You have used that paint chip overlay on top of the paper label and i dont think it reads right. Perhaps erase out the overlay there and think of a more appropriate way to distress the paper. Pretty sure paper doesnt chip that way=)
    It seems it could maybe use a bit more of the saturated red... this poor extinguisher has clearly been through some shit. Perhaps have a few spots where it chips to grey? Very damaged...heh. Also on the top metal bits use some really tight highlights to harden the edges a bit? not much of course since this thing looks like its lived through a hurricane.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Paper tends to turn yellow and get loose at the edges, not "scratch off". Though I'm not sure the labels on fire extinguishers are really paper.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the input Ikaan, Stoofoo, and KDR_11k. I appreciate the help.

The 'sticker' background pattern was per accident as I painted in purples, dark blues and greens to make it. And I used a selection surface kit to strip the paper away. I'm hoping the yellow and the change of pattern around the sticker will help separate the pattern. I'll post up the source, but I'll spare the research I did on Soda-Acid extinguishers.

extinguisher_noshaded02.jpg

extinguisher_texture02.jpg
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    You should consider giving your texture baked shadows from a skylight.

Sorry for the short answer, but I am at work right now and don't really have time... wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The dark spots on the metal aren't in your ref, try blending them in more. If you look at the ref the paint is nowhere as dark as under the chipped away labels.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Neolith and KDR_11K again, for your input. Since I overlapped most of the faces I can't get a good baking on there, but I'll darken the areas I can at the bottom of the container and some of the metals.

KDR_11K, the reason why I used the darker spots on the container was to break up the fire extinguisher from looking to perfect. It was a artistic liberty, I'll blend the top out to see how that looks

extinguisher_unwrap.jpg
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Changes that Neolith and KDR_11K suggested. Plus the seam on the top was bugging the hell out of me. Now back to my Colt 41.

extinguisher_texture03.jpg