Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

recent portfolio fodder (NWS)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
as anyone who has been in #model_design for the past week knows, i've been sharpening up my portfolio to send it off rather shortly to apply for the concept artist position at Bethesda... some new stuff, some old stuff that's been colored up and revamped. Bethesda says they're looking for examples of quick sketches as well as rendered pieces, so i'm trying to represent the whole range.
i'm not looking for any specific crits per se, but it would be good if there's any glaring issue that should be fixed on any of these or if there's some pressing reason that one should not be included, lemme know. it's been a very productive week, hope you like em smile.gif

also, if you're wondering about the NWS tag, there's a possibly disturbing piece lower down involving nudity. you've got fair warning now smile.gif

alienconcept6.jpg
old piece fine tuned and colored

battledress_color.jpg
a sketchbook piece that i rendered up.

fembot.jpg
a robot i designed for a friend of NaruSol's that i always liked.

soldier6.jpg
another rendered up sketchbook drawing

toiletc2.jpg
another older piece colored up
scythegirl.jpg
a sketch from a few months ago i cleaned up

screwdriverattack.jpg
scary android attack... heavily influenced by GitS:I smile.gif

swordguy.jpg
a uh... guy with a sword. and yes, i know that is not a normal place to sheath a sword, that's part of the the concept (COUGHCRICKETCOUGH)

bigtruck_wip5.jpg
probably my favorite from this crop, it's a vehicle design i had kicking around for UT2k4 almost a year ago that i decided to give a proper go. it's not finished yet, but its pretty close.

update: some older images that i've also polished up:
tanktest.jpg

tank2_5.jpg

Replies

• Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I say the modified toilet should be made into a real household accessory grin.gif
    G/L with applying at Bethesda
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    these are really great gauss, kick ass
    good luck buddy, i hope you get the gig, bethesda is like 20minutes away from me!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great man. I really dig your coloring. If you did all these in one weak, man you sure have been lazy in the past, cause you should have been pimping more stuff to us! 8-)

G/l on the job buddy.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    dude, that vehicle is dope! you got the feng zhu dvd's?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    @vehicle design: damn. can i get one of those in onyx black with naked lady mudflaps? does the factory installed concept toilet cost extra?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome gauss, i can totally see the GITS inspiration there.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    I think if you want to show the best of yourself you should remove the one with the girl with glasses, that is definitely at a lower level than all the others. I especially like the red-eyed soldier, looking like these old comics with reduced coulour palette. The 'girl' with the syringe would also look much better if you precise a bit more her(it) right hand - because it's looking great overall, but hand catch my attention at first sight.
    I don't have driving license, so I'll take the toilet :P

I hope to see more like the soldier, I think It's an interesting way to explore.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Gauss the "a uh... guy with a sword. and yes, i know that is not a normal place to sheath a sword, that's part of the the concept (COUGHCRICKETCOUGH)" face is absolutely brillant. Coloring on it is just perfect. I think these coupled with a few pages of pencils would be really good to do. Best of luck with the job.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    wow - really, really nice work here man. I love your colouring on some of these - the soldier with the red eyes and the girl with the orange dress really leap off the screen.

Good range of work here - and good look with the job smile.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    needs more steampipes
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I like the girl with the glasses. She has attitude smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That vehicle still rocks my god damn socks.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work. I really dig that vehicle.. Good luck on that job man! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive stuff Gauss. If I was Bethesda, you'd have the job in a jiffy!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    The vehicle seems light years ahead of the rest in terms of how solid it is. If I were you I'd put some more vehicle/environment/architecture stuff in the folio. Nice work and good luck with the job smile.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    yeah you know I'm a huge fan of you old vs. new vehicle designs! very kick ass!

-BoBo
  • LtEthe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LtEthe polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that car is pimp. Definitely put that first in your folio, and any other architectural/automotive design work, put that up front and stress your skills in that area, it is much stonger then your other work.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the comments, guys. i think i will stress my mechanical design work more prominently in my portfolio as it probably is my strongest work. i've got a whole lot more vehicle concepts from last year that i'm not able to show because they're under NDA.

slipstream: thanks, the walking toilet concept was something i drew during class in college nearly 3 years ago. it's remained a favorite, though, so that's why i colored it up.

steady: yeah let's hope smile.gif

poop: there may have been times previously where i have been lazy, but i have been working you know, you just don't get to see most of what i draw smile.gif

ghost: i do in fact have a feng zhu dvd or two, but i can't really say it informs my work all that much, i haven't really given those dvds enough time yet smile.gif

elysium: a pair of enormous fuzzy dice also comes standard laugh.gif

EQ: thanks, GitS:I is definitely one of my new all time favorites.

Brice: i think that's a good point. i like the goggles girl concept, but i should either bring it up to a higher quality or leave it out. i will also touch up the hand as you mentioned in the other drawing, i see what you mean. i'm glad you like the soldier coloring, if i have time i have a couple more sketches that i think i will render in a similar flat-color style.

jeffro: thanks a lot, man. this was rendered off of a favorite quick sketch and i worked much harder than i usually do on the coloring, particularly the face.

fat cap: thanks, i really wanted to push very vibrant colors on the girl in the dress, glad it comes off like that.

doc: i sadly do not have much enviro stuff, which i really should have been attending to, but i do have a whole lot more vehicle work that i can't show here that i will include. thanks for the comments.

bobo: thanks man, i'm hoping it will be a selling point smile.gif

LtEthe: thanks, i think the truck will make it first in my portfolio and i will probably stress my mechanical design work first and foremost.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Very nice, I like them all!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    top notch effort man, and im going to repeat a lot of folks here.. coolest truck evar!
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    let us know after you have the job
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    the soldier is my fave, but the vehicle is also very strong.

I am surprised you havent got more medieval fantasy based characters here, since Bethesda's flagship games are Elder scrolls.
    Btw if/when you go for an interview check out the landscape generator for their new Elder scrolls game, its pretty amazing stuff. They also have a mad Ai system setup so each npc in game lives out there life in a fairly realistic fashion. ie working in the day - going to the pub in the evening etc
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    spacemonkey: thanks... and i am aware that the elder scrolls is their flagship series, so i've got the fantasy medieval represented (i've got several more images that i can't show because of NDA) ...but the position they're offering is also for Fallout 3, which is where my heart's at. not that it wouldn't be incredible to work on Oblivion, but what really got me going to apply is the chance to work on a Fallout game. i worked on the truck design with that in mind smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    ah yes, I had forgetton about them snatching the rights from the Interplay demise. Hah!
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man.. flantastic stuff. Cheers to the toilet contraption! that thing kicks ass. I also really like the render quality on crazy freak girl with screwdriver.

I've never seen a car from you.. that one is great. Very old and classic but modern.

sweet stuff.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...some lovely concepts you got there...I reeally dig the female "Android" the one where you said was influenced by Ghost in the Shell...fantastic stuff....
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Just damn awesome concepts there. I would have to agree with you that my favorite is the Vehicle. I'm also really digging the alien 1st pic and the Trooper w/ chaingun.

Check it out, my friend Squared has a very similar toilet design: http://www.squaredconcepts.com/4-5.html
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    omg WIN
    I want to model the first girl or maybe that soldier dude with mad armor and that big gun
    Yus

b1ll
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    swampbug: thanks. i don't draw many, but i think they turn out okay when i really work on 'em smile.gif

johnwoo: thanks, it's an incredible movie in several ways

rage: funny how that works out sometimes smile.gif

b1ll: thanks mate, any concepts you feel like taking a crack at, you're more than welcome. though you've always got more than enough projects going, you're like one of those classical painters from yesteryear who would work on many canvases incrementally smile.gif

i added a couple of images i've worked on since posting this thread up top. enjoy
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
    man gauss, your work is of the HOOK man, if bethesda doesnt hire you they're either stupid or........ stupid
    those vehicles are just amazing really, and the soldier looks so solid, i like that unusuall sheating of a sword, gonna try that position soon crazy.gif
    i would really like to c how you would draw a mecha robo thingie ( gundam deathscyte hell kai maybe smirk.gif or impulse gundam ( from seed destiny ) :P)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks darkshadow, and everyone else for the encouragment... after much slaving away and refining, i have FINALLY sent off the application to Bethesda. now i can finally relax a little and play RE4, which i haven't touched in the week or so i've owned it... but my brothers have been playing the heck out of it. now it's my turn smile.gif
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Totally inspiring work, as expected;)

I may have a crack at that rolls.