Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SIG P226 DAX (highpoly)

HotHead
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HotHead polycounter lvl 18
This is a pistol that im working on at the moment that will eventually be used to generate a normal map for a lower poly version. Its a SIG P226 DAX. I choise a simpler object first cause I've never attempted to normal map something before. I figured why not practice on a prop for the character I was to eventually going to make anyways. As of right now I only have the lower portion finished. I still need to model a clip and slide with barrel and hammer. When modeling for harder edges I found it easier to simply chamfer edges on the lower poly end than to tinker with weighting vertices and edges in the high poly end. Let me know what you guys think and any sudgestions you might have for when it comes time to normal map it. I'll eventually post the low poly form once I get it finished.

LeftRender226.jpg

RightRender226.jpg

And the two main reference pics I'm using.

LeftRef.jpg

RightRef.jpg

Replies

• e_x
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    Those screws in the grip are actually "in" the grip, not on top like they are now.

Besides that, not much else to say at this point since its pretty early. Get it finished and repost it.
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny you mentioned that about the screws, because just after I posted, that was the first thing I went and fixed.
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update with the final form of high poly model. I took a while dou to some snags I had with getting the geometry right. Once I tried incorperating the slide, I had alot of problems getting it to match together and still keep the form of the real gun. There was alot of tweeking to get it to fit, not having it look right and going back to the reference images and making more tweeks from there. I didn't think it would be this troublesome. But I think I got it right now. I didn't do to much detail inside the action cuase it's not an area you see alot of and when you do it's so breif I didn't feel it required the time. Plus I didn't have any reference images of the inside when the action is open wink.gif Right now the gun is actually in 4 seperate objects. There's the main grip (with barrels attached), slide, clip and hammer. I should have the low polt version done tomorrow so exspect a post asking questions about normal mapping when I run into problems.

HiRendClosedR.jpg

and here's some other views

Open action
    Left
    Back

Let me know what you think.
  • EarthQuake
    Thats damned nice, are you gonna normal map it or something?
  • Foehammer
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    theres no firing pin when its open , and no cartrage ejection arm on the slide, dont get me wrong , it looks really nice smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    also, it looks like youve modeled it with the clip in, and then a spare clip, you should model it with the clip out, then position the spare inside, as when it animates with the clip coming out, it would look weird if it was still full...no?
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    theres no firing pin when its open , and no cartrage ejection arm on the slide, dont get me wrong , it looks really nice smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The firing pin is an internal component of the pistol that you wouldn't be able to see unless you disassembled the firearm. Are you referring to the 'hammer' (the part that cocks back and strikes the firing pin)? That part of the gun is attached to the frame, and doesn't move with the slide when you pull it back. You're right about the ejector, though.

[ QUOTE ]
    you should model it with the clip out, then position the spare inside, as when it animates with the clip coming out, it would look weird if it was still full...no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he did model the magazine seperately, and he put that second one in there so you could actually see it unobstructed by the pistol.

My only criticisms, besides the ejector that Thermidor has already pointed out, is that some of the edges look too soft (which kind of make the gun look like it's made of clay... but that might also be due to there not being any materials applied to the model yet) and the mag release button doesn't look quite right. First of all, the button should only protrude on one side (left side), and the edges shouldn't be soft. I think it would look better if it was just a simple cylinder without the edge chamfered at all.

Otherwise, it's a pretty accurate looking model smile.gif.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job man. I think you need a few sharper edges. it looks like you used the same chamfer value for almost all the edges, and some of them look a bit soft. One thing I do to sharpen edges, is after doing a chamfer, I grab one of those new thin edges it made, hit "ring" and then connect. it keeps all quads, but sharpens up the edge alot.
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, thanks for the replys guys. It means alot to me when I get feedback, compliment or "constructive crit". :P

Just to let everyone know, this model is meant to be used for normal mapping. I left out the firing pin inside the action simply because adding the detail to a part of the gun you'll almost never see is a lack or time management. I figured I'd just leave that to the texture to supply that detail.

gir: the clip is seperate. I took the extra time to make sure they fit together right. Looks like it was worth it if I made someone think it was all one peice. confused.gif

Thermidor: There is a magazine release right next to the trigger, if thats what you mean by cartridge release. The only thing I think you might be getting it confused with is the hammer docking level. This part lets you return the hammer to its default postion without having to supress the trigger. Most pistols of this kind are single and double actioned. Single action meaning after having been fired once, the slide automatically leaves the hammer in a "cocked" or pulled back position so that the next suppression of the trigger is easier and will result in less movement of the hand and a more accurate shot. Double action is where the hammer is in the default postion (forward) and in order to fire weapon you can manually pull back the hammer till its cocked and then squeeze the trigger releasing the hammer or pull the trigger fully to get the hammer to move back and then release. Most however perfer a single action option cause using the trigger to both pull the hammer back and release it requires more strength and results in a jerking of the hand once the hammer gets to its firing postion. Think of a tug of war contest where you're using alot of strength to pull but the other team just lets go of the rope. The sudden lack of required strength would cause you to fall over or in the case of pulling a trigger in a double action mode would cause your hand to jerk or flinch, which is not wanted when trying to be accurate. This model of the 226 is a DAK model or aka "DAO" which stands for Double Action Only. With this the hammer is never left in a "cocked" postion when the slde is forced back so there is no need for a hammer release level. They developed this for police and military origionally to prevent against accidental firing. Like this the only way to fire a round is to pull the trigger. I guess people were forgetting to uncock their hammers after use and having the gun go off without pulling the trigger. Here's some pics I put up to show the different parts. Is the lever im talking about the lever your thinking of?

SIGP226Info.jpg

SIGP226DAKInfo.jpg
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I believe Thermidor is referring to the "extractor" (which I mistakenly called the "ejector" earlier in the thread blush.gif). It's a small part that extracts and deflects spent shell casings. I circled it in red below. I'm not sure if the DAK version has an exposed extractor, but the model in the image below has an exposed extractor.

extractor.jpg
  • Hunter
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Nice likeness.. thats the weapon I carry on duty.. mines the older model (the one in the first , labled pic that Hothead posted)

It's a sweet firearm.. The newer version (which all the rookies have) is the blued version with nickel trim on certain parts, like the magazine release, slide release, barrel and grip screws..

Nice work so far man.. keep it going..
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze: Thanks for pointing out what he was talking about. I had a feeling that might be it but though that he was trying to point out something a little more obvious. As far as that not being modeled, from most of the reference images I have gathered that object has such little protrusion and is somewhat completely flush with the surfaces where it lies that any modeling I did wouldn't be able to show up on a normal map unless the N-map's resolution was really high. I should have pointed it out earlier that it was something I was going to leave to texture. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Hunter: I've always been an avid rifleman myself and enjoyed using them. If it wasn't such a pain in the arse and costly to get a pistol permit here in NYS, this is defiantly the pistol I'd get. I was also looking at the Walter P99 and the new Baretta PX4 Storm looks pretty mean if you ask me.

Here's some pics of the low poly version to be normal mapped. As of right now the gun and clip is at 1536 tri's.
    Not sure if that's high or low, but I'm guessing that for any engine that supports normal mapping (like HL2), that that isn't too bad for a fully functioning and animate-able weapon.

SIGLowL.jpg

SIGLowR.jpg
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys....I've run into some problems, like I knew I would. Heres a few images of just the clip to help you visualize my problems. The normal map show was from ATI's renderer, but I've also used Nvidia's melody and Max 7's built in normal mapper. ATI's and Nvidia's both produced very similar results (as seen below), while Max's produced the best results so far but had a "pinching" of the RGB colors in the normal map for certain areas of the model. From what I've heard, this is a common problem of max7's renderer.

NormProblem.jpg

NormProblem2.jpg

Thing to know about the models are this:
    -High Poly model is result of edit poly with 2 mesh smooth iterations.
    -Low poly model was formed from welding verts and simplifying the high poly model(before meshsmooth was applied).
    -Both models' faces are all in one smoothing group
    -Both models' X-formes were reset after completion and the center point of both models are the same when models are overlayed.
    -Both models were exported with Max's default gray material at its default settings.

Ok now in the first image there's a render of the hi and low poly versions of the clip and the normal map that was generated using the ATI renderer. The second image is of the settings I have for the ATI renderer (which are pretty much default). As you can see, the area inside the red box of the normal map should be one color and not an even gradient of multiple colors due to the hi poly's underlying normals all facing the same direction (this from what I understand of normal maps anyway). Does anyone know and use any of the normal map generators for Max7 and can help me fix or input the correct settings that will produce a correct normal map? I've tried breaking up the model into different files for the differnt parts and gotten similar results. I've even tried moving the different elements (clip, grip, slide etc) away from eachother to prevent interference from one another. As of right now I'm stuck and am getting very fustraited. Help me out please if you know anything on this subject.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    thats very odd , so what you are saying is the clip looks rounded when the map is applied? have you got a mixture of smoothing groups on your low and high poly models? it dosnt look like you have , but thats somthing to check ...
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well I messed with it some more and I think I've figured it out. I selected all the faces on the low poly model and removed the smoothing group. So basically no face belongs to a smoothing group and the it looks some what like if you had facets and highlights turned on instead of smooth and hightlights in your viewport. I re-exported the models and the normal map is rendering correctly. Now I only have to tweek the settings so that it renders a smooth, clean map with unpixelated egdes, cause as of right now places where I have seems or hard cornered edges like on the bottom curved part of the clip are getting weird blockly lighting from the pixelated areas of the map. I'll post tomorrow when I have a full rendering and I'll show my problem areas in hopes that someone might be able to help me clean it up. :P
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    "smooth" smoothing groups should work , although i have never done NMs in max ... maybe the high poly model needs to be smooth shading groups ... and the low no shading groups , or both the same?
  • EarthQuake
    Unless the engine you're putting it in supports smoothing groups you dont want any on the low poly(everything smoothed), so how the normal map looked first was right.
  • Hunter
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Hothead , where in NY are you ?
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Well men (and women), I'm proud to report that I've finally figured out the smoothing groups problem. I tinkered with them a little and found that if you give the low poly model a couple sets of smoothing groups, it comes out really clean. The trick is to give faces what come together at hard angles different smoothing groups. This way it doesn't think that a set surfaces with a hard edge is supposed to be smooth but actually have the hard edge. If anyone is confused by what I'm trying to explain let me know and I'll post some images to demonstrate. I always explain better with pictures. Here's some renderings of the low poly model with the normal map applied. Right now the map is a 2048x2048 .tga but I still have some cleaning up to do with the edges that have seams. So I'll drop it down to a smaller size later when I actually make the diffuse color texture for it.

NormalRend1.jpg

NormalRend2.jpg

NormalRend3.jpg

Just to note, this normal map was created with Max 7's normal generator. I am going to try out this solution with both Nvidia's and ATI's apps and I'll let everyone know how it came out.
  • EarthQuake
    Melody dosent like smoothing groups at all, i dont know about ati's program. Like i said your "solution" will only work if you can export the model WITH smoothing groups, if not it will look wrong in game. That being said its looking really nice, what size is the normal map?
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking pretty swish , very clean and tidy , i really like it ...
    Its true , ATIs normal mapping tool dosnt like smoothing groups to be different on the model.
  • HotHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well here's my first post of it with a diffuse texture applied. Its taken awhile because I've been distracted by RE4 (god it's a good game). I was about to check myself into rehab but realized that playing games hasn't yet been considered harmful enough to warrent counceling.

As far as the coloring process, I had to stop and think a little about what I wanted to paint because I'm use to faking volume by painting highlights. I kept looking at the texture and thinking that it was very bland and that something wasn't right. confused.gif Anyway here's some renders. Let me know what you think.

TextureRend.jpg

TextureRend2.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah that is looking very dull, from my experience with guns and normal maps a little bit of shadows/specular will go a long way to give you better results. Im also really not liking the think edging you have going on there, it takes away from the detail in the normal map.