polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Toomas polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    But but but... She could have been an Al-Qaeda operative out to kill our children! May God bless the government for stopping their evil plans!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Police officers decided the girl hadn't committed a crime and let her go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must have been a tough decision.

[ QUOTE ]
    However, school officials suspended her for five days. Administrators will decide at a hearing whether she may return to class, or be expelled to a special disciplinary school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy shit. ooo.gif I took a pocket knife to school when I was young, and showed it to all my friends on the playground. No big deal then. They probably would have CALLED MY PARENTS and paddled me.

[ QUOTE ]
    The scissors were discovered while students' belongings were being searched for property missing from a teacher's desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they have a search warrant? smirk.gif Every child is a potential threat to society, proceed with caution.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    OMG don't forget the pencils and pens! You need special non-pointy everything while at school! So many potential weapons!!!!11

Pllllease in my first grade class when I was 7 we were allowed to use big sharp knives to cut Jack o laterns, no one was stabbed. Our society has hit a new level of squeamish....
  • Artreth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artreth polycounter lvl 18
    ... this is some sick shit...
    If they send her off to special disciplinary school, because of this slight violation of school regulations, they'll be damaging her young psyche more than anything else.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    What a brilliant system. Let's basically just tell all kids that scissors should be used as weapons. I'm sure sending them to disciplinary school for wanting to cut paper is the perfect way to make them more peaceful people.

Or maybe she's going to grow up really paranoid and pissed off, flip out and actually kill someone with scissors now?
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    lol...almost reminds me of a story here in the UK this week.

Some 10 year old boy slashed another 10year old with the razor in a pencil sharpner,so naturally everyone is like "look how dangerous these things are lets ban them"....so guess what,they are trying to ban your bog standard pencil sharpner in schools....still i never used pencil sharpners,just grabbed a craftknife from the art block shelf and used that.

Jjohn
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    at my school you're allowed to carry a knife with up to a 5.5" blade (and I do)

rock on texas
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I can't imagine why you'd need a knife that big in school, Sonic. I have a kitchen knife in my room that big, and I don't think I've ever used it for anything other than cutting vegetables. Do you do a cookery class? ¬_¬

Whenever anything bad happens anywhere, there are always the ultra-paranoid who try to ban everything just in case a freak incident which will never happen again in a hundred years is repeated.

Acc: Exactly, it's not really common sense thinking on the disciplinary body's part, it's more of a cheap way out that will make it look like they're making an effort, I think.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    at my school you're allowed to carry a knife with up to a 5.5" blade (and I do)

[/ QUOTE ]

What for?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    BECAUSE HE CAN
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    at my school, while it's illegal to even OWN one, there have been prople that have brought in ninja swords and shurikens, and i'm not making this up.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    for stabbing people of course

well usually when i do manual work when im not at school, i have one because they come in handy, and i wear the same jeans for a while (im a bastard), and you never know when you need it, so i might as well have it i suppose

5.5" is the texas legal limit, so thats where they got it form
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So sad; how 'tight' things are now in schools. They seem to get worse and worse.....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    no more arts and crafts!

"class, and today we will be learning how to cut out snowflakes with a spoon!"

fucking hell. im all for safety, but arresting the poor girl is a bit much.

next step mechanical pencils, and pencils will be banned, as pencil sharpeners - they make deadly stabbing weapons! (was jabbed a couple times growing up, often drawing blood). Children will only be allowed to use dull crayons for writing.

Then, hard bound BOOKS! burn them! BURN THEM ALL! God forbid some kids smack one another with one, it could knock them out - or potentially KILL THEM! all books should be paper back, or with fluffy covers; or burned.

and no more computers with wires either, someone could get strangled surfing the internet.

I understand there are crazy people out there - and that safety is a concern, but are schools *really* that more dangerous now from 5, 10, or 15 years ago? Or is it that schools are safer, but everything else is the same, if not crazier?

[ QUOTE ]
    "... between 1992 and 2000, students between 5 and 19 were 70 times more likely to be murdered away from school than on campus." MSN

[/ QUOTE ]

The statistic is a little broad, and a bit old, should find a better one. smile.gif

I remember getting jumped in high school while walking home to meet a girlfriend. Theres a drawn out story, but its not important (didnt do anything against them, they were assholes) - I just wonder if that had happened today, if i would have been shot instead of roundhoused by some hick-ninjas.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    at my school, while it's illegal to even OWN one, there have been prople that have brought in ninja swords and shurikens, and i'm not making this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt be surprised, one day when i was 10 or 11, i found a katana blade in my neighborhood trashbin along with a crossbow. the crossbow was broken but the katana was almost good as new. being a little kid at the time with not many friends, i pretended myself being a samurai wondering around my neighborhood forrest slashing up branches and stuff that got in my way. people see me walk around wearing the sword in its sheath but i havnt got in trouble or anything. hell i still have it in my closet to this day, if anyone were unfortunate enough to break into my home, ill be waiting by the front door in gattotsu like stance ready to launch my attack grin.gif
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if these kind of tactics are necessary for prepuberts.......but puberts, I wouldn't give them any slack.

If a teenager did this, then I would call the police and suspend them....simple because I remember what assholes they were.

Hey, kid stole the teachers scissors, give'm the chair.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18

I wonder why you're allowed to wear a gun but not a sword?
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Then, hard bound BOOKS! burn them! BURN THEM ALL! God forbid some kids smack one another with one, it could knock them out - or potentially KILL THEM! all books should be paper back, or with fluffy covers; or burned.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only book allowed will be the required copy of the King James Bible.

Frank the Avenger
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I wonder why you're allowed to wear a gun but not a sword?

[/ QUOTE ]

5.5" is the legal limit for a foldable knife that can be carried concealed.

In Texas you can get a permit to carry a concealed firearm, but that does not mean you can walk around like a gunfighter with it strapped to your leg.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Come on you guys, it's like the regulations at the stadium or the movie theater... NO OUTSIDE WEAPONS ALLOWED. When you want to do violence, you're supposed to get lethal objects like scissors from your teacher like everyone else.

This is right up there with the story Bill Maher told on his show, where an elderly, blind African-American man was thoroughly searched at an airport security station as part of their randon selection process, sometime in late 2002. They wanted to make sure he wasn't a terrorist threat, of course. Punchline? The man was Ray Charles.

Blind adherence to arbitrary rules makes dumb crap happen. We know this.

/jzero
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Some kid in this one school was expelled for bringing a water gun to school..... i think school is trying to turn the world into happy fun no pointy world.....happy happy...scissors are crappy....use your little teeth....hehheheh
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    No scissors in schools, but let's arm the toothless redneck to the ...errr, his...former teeth. I bet the lil' girl has more common sense than most of the nutcases that end up making headline news right alongside when they pick off people from a texas clock tower or run into a nightclub and murder the band members.

ugg, i shouldnt read polycount threads like this...I'm starting to get dizzy again.

-R
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    calm down ross. have some poutine.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    well usually when i do manual work when im not at school, i have one because they come in handy, and i wear the same jeans for a while (im a bastard), and you never know when you need it, so i might as well have it i suppose

[/ QUOTE ]

Then get a leatherman. Alot more handy than a large knife. Or does that knife represent something. wink.gif (You can bash me back)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are a few years late but 1984 here we come!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Bringing Scissors to school will get you a free ride in a cop car, and possibly expelled to a special disiplinary school.

But, bringing a gun will only get you suspended for 10 days.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    our world sickens me. I should work on slowly blowing it all up, DOWN WITH SCHOOL!
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    well i can see the 2nd graders not geting any mnore punishment obviously they were too young to know that was wrong.. the kids fucking parents should be answering some serious questions and posibly facing jail time tho..