Home General Discussion

Monitors!

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Frankie polycounter lvl 19
Hey, I was wondering if someone can recommend a big widescreen CRT. At work I have two 19inch monitors however the second one is usually empty while the primary one is full of my 3d app. I would like to make the move to a bigger primary screen and a smaller secondary one, probably a 15inch TFT.
However I have no idea which monitors are good and haven't been able to find any reviews of them!

Replies

• Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Viewsonic 220fb. The best thing ever. 22 inches. You'll see colors that you didn't even know existed, and subltleties in lights to darks that I've never seen another monitor come close to touching. I bought one for home for about $650 at Fry's, and have never regretted it. I come home from work, and am like "Damn, why don't we have these at work!" I used to work on one of the 21" Sony 520 professional models. Not nearly the same color accuracy, and subtle contrast controls.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    yah viewsonic 220f, like Ryno said, it owns. I actually bought mine from dell acople months ago for about 500.

Weighs a fucking ton though!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    i picked up two Dell 20.1 lcd's...
    each has Picture in Picture (location and size scalable), and inputs for Svid, dvi, rga, and vga. Native resolution is 1600x1200...
    got 'em for ~680 each...
    computer.jpg
    20.1 lcd's they're normally $750-800, got 'em while there was a sale going on
    and right now, the wide screen versions are on sale for $640
    20.1 wide screens
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Watch out for LCDs if you're going to be any color work, as they are not nearly as accurate as a good CRT. Seriously, if your colors need to be spot-on, avoid LCDs at all costs, as colors will come out really whacked. If you're just doing modeling and animation, and need to save some desk space, then by all means consider them.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    From what I heard the bad colors of LCDs are on purpose because "fuller" colors look better on the shelf and noone bothered with giving the things the ability to be set to actually useful values.
  • Fabool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabool polycounter lvl 18
    From what I've heard and read, Eizo (www.eizo.com) has some really really good LCDs colorwise. One of their new models is said to actually support the AdobeRGB standard which displays about ~50.6% of the colors a human eye can perceive, while a sRGB standard monitor can only display about 35%.
    Of course they come with a very heavy price tag as well as a bad response time (the ColorEdge series of monitors have something near 50ms if I remember correctly - they do have a few cheaper 16ms/20ms FlexScan models though with great colors).
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    1: Sony, 2: Viewsonic and the toughest is NEC multisync, watched my Boss actually drop them on a cement floor and they still work!
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    We got a bunch of those 20.1 inch Dells here at work, they seem popular...I didnt get one, and im still grumpy about that. Oh well, guess i'll get my tan from the four 19" CRTs around me...HEHEHEH
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    my apple cinema 23" display finally came in... one of the new ones, brushed aluminum. and as i expected, worth every penny of the hefty price tag. it's such a beautiful unit, but the screen realestate alone is worth it....

oh, and playing HL2/CS:S in widescreen is a real treat, too laugh.gif
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    gauss nice. my dream right now is probaly dual apple cinema 30" display's just cause well big ass screens and 2 of them smile.gif