Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SDK: StarGate-ish Soldier

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
Howdy,
Some of you might remember the skin I did a while ago [here].
Well, I promised an SDK and have finally gotten around to it :|! I have gotten permission from the models creater 'Rastus' and hope that the leet skins (if anyone actually does skin this D: ) motivate him to get back into 3d. He's lazier than I am.. which isn't good.

And so with out further hesitation:
SDK !!!1

The file contains:
1 max file
1 3ds file
1 wavefront obj
and 1 uvw map!

heres my sad attempt:
sss2.jpg

Anyways, have fun!

Replies

• qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    biggest issue is the fuzzyness errr how can i say that
    the layout of the different materials or colors or
    brightness/darkness makes the whole very clustered. harder
    to read for the viewer.
    there need to be big "groups" visually to let the eye be
    catched by certian things. imagin that u want the viewer to
    see where what food is on the plate. if u mix it all
    together the tomato the potato the cucumber etc (im running
    out of examples here hehe). itll be a mess on the plate
    total diffuse and unclear. if u put each in a corner its in
    order and easy to read. u should think of that when painting
    your skin.

the texture might look good but that doesnt make a good
    skin. imo the ornaments could get kicked out or be redone.
    also the flesh needs to get another color it doesnt seem to
    work well with the others. it needs some contrast or
    whatever just try out what u can do

keep it up and its going to be a great skin
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Did a quick start on this, since the model is good... UV maps could be better but they're not that bad. There's a fair bit of wasted space and unnecessary rotation of UVW segments.
    The legs of the model in the default pose here are a little weird, they come in at the knee then go out towards the feet, kinda looks like he's desperate for the toilet or something, heh.
    Oops, just read that it's not your model - well I hope Rastus is reading this thread then! smirk.gif

horus1.jpg

Just doing a 256x256 map working at true res, don't wanna spend too long on it. Experimenting with lighting bakes from Max, it turned out pretty well ... I've only started painting the head really, about 20 mins work so far.

MoP
  • Arco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    Cool model. if I had a copy of max still I would be tempted to have a bash at skinning it.

mr Smo: Your skin is pretty cool. I lacks a certain contrasted look that i think makes metal look more um like metal and the highlighte seem a little dull. Good work tho.

Mop: lookin nice. erum. I like the colours in the metal... is that all with the bake?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Damn this model still rocks my socks. Maybe I'll take a go at it and do some damage to his armour. make it look nice and dirty. Nice start MoP...

BTW, your image you posted seems really fuzzy? That just from the compression of the jpeg?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Arco: Most of it yeah, I've touched a bit up, but everything below the head is just baked materials with a 3-point lighting setup in max.

Adam: It's a 256x256 skinmap i'm working on, and i just slapped a quick texture overlay over the whole thing before doing a render, so it makes the "flat colour" parts look splotchy. The compression quality is set to 90%.
  • cspgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cspgames polycounter lvl 18
    Please excuse my silly question, if I am gonna make a skin for this model, what is the copyright state of the model? Could I use the model in my game or is it only thought to show some skills here? (tho I doubt I could impress anyone here :/ )
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think you'd have to ask permission of the original model creator (Rastus, I don't know his contact details), and make sure it was clear whether your game was a free product or commercial venture, and give adequate credit or suitable payment respectively in the final release.
    I'm sure you wouldn't, but NEVER assume that it's ok to use models without the author's permission. You never know what other projects the model might already be in use for.
    I think this is a question for Mr. Smo, since he seems to know the model author, perhaps he can hook you up with contact details to see if you can arrange something.

MoP
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Anybody want to wager how many posts it'll take before Tubboy (aka: Whatever) will post to this thread?
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wager my cheese cake :O!

MoP: omg, 20 mins and u out did my skin, nuff said! more more more!

cspgames: I'll get Rastus 2 post in here this evening when hes home from work!
  • Rastus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rastus polycounter lvl 18
    um about putting it in your own game thats ok for personal use or if some1 wants to put it in ut or something thats just dandy laugh.gif

tho if it is for a project mod or what eva would like to know a little about it and this was from a stargate concept by feng so yeah..
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    What game is this for? I could do some nice armopur effects if this was UT2K4.

Scott
  • Rastus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rastus polycounter lvl 18
    oh mop about the uv's smo got an older model file and e had some props on the uv's but smo prob aint put them in but meh dont matter..

so sorry about the older uv's (to lazy to go dig up the model and find the right verson sorry)
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    I was playing with a 3d paint program and my 4 yr old want to have a go at this. I asked him if he wanted me to show you guys and he said yes. Here goes guys.
    chrisart.jpg

He didn't use the wacom on this one.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    :O ur kid has skillz!....better than my texturing ability >_<
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that skin makes me hungry :O
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    TS that is awesome. I think your youngster has a great Easter skin going on here. Give him a go with the tablet. Nice to see kids shown this stuff at an early age.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful model mr. Smo and immaculately done.
    That is looking gorgeous MoP. Nice colour scheme too. Hah nice one Dave. Get 'em started early eh?! My mate has his 8 yr old doing some fairly serious stuff in Maya. Scary.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thanx Daz, but this isnt my model - tis Rastus', i just posted the SDK (with permission) to get him motivated and back into 3d - but hes 2 lazy >_<!

The skin is mine though... my attempt at it :<
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Arrr... matey !! Me children shall one day rule the 3D world!!

Seriously all 3 want tablets now.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    nice skins everyone, i decided to give this model a try, didnt do much so far, just baked some parts and slapped on a texture on it, only part i really worked on was the arms, dont know else iam going with it, i probabaly wont finish

egyptwipcopy.jpg
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    here is my start....
    ra.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool stuff keep em coming =D