Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer: Dawn of War - new map

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Conor polycounter lvl 18
Who says you have to pimp characters? Here's my new map for Warhammer: Dawn of War.

sandstorm01.jpg

My first (working) map! This map uses lots of new desert themed textures (2 detail maps and 9 decals). To install the map just unzip it directly into your Dawn of War directory. It contains all the correct sub-directories within the zip file so you don't have to worry about making any new directories yourself.

Download Sand Storm from Dawn of War Files

Click on the images below to see ingame shots...

sandstorm03_t.jpg sandstorm04_t.jpg sandstorm05_t.jpg sandstorm06_t.jpg sandstorm07_t.jpg sandstorm08_t.jpg

Here's an overhead shot of the entire map:

sandstorm02.jpg

Thanks to Relic and everyone on the Relicnews forum who's helped me out!

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Nice looking map, Conor. I'll have to give it a try.

I've been thinking about doing a DoW map myself.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome, conor. i suck at RTS but we do have DoW here at home so maybe i'll point my brothers at this map smile.gif
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    I thoroughly approve of all DOW-related pimps. smile.gif

It looks flat and boring in some shots (although I can't really expect a desert to be interesting) but the fossil in the cliff is awesome.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Got a chance to play it this morning, Conor. The new textures are great. Are any of the decos new as well? I really thought the destroyed Leman Russ(sp?) tank surrounded by the bodies of the IG soldiers was a nice touch. A bit sparse in areas as SjetvsKerrigan pointed out but, yea, it is a desert after all.

Do you have to do any of the AI scripting yourself? The reason I ask is because I slaughtered the Chaos Marines as Space Marines on the Hard setting and I usually don't do that well. Even against the computer AI poly103.gif

You really have me wanting to do one now if I can manage to find the time. Nice work.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss - Dawn of War is a pretty easy RTS (against the AI anyway), you should give it a try.

SjetvsKerrigan - I thought you'd approve ;-)

Astro - there's two new detail maps (the base sand and the pebbles on the clifftop) and 9 new decals (all the cliff edges, the oasis textures, the dinosaur and various 'spot effects' under the base, relic, critical and strategic points. The only old textures I used were the craters, some dust and some rocks around the oasis. The mission editor is very easy to work with - one of the better game dev tools I've seen. There's no specific AI scripting in this map, for multiplayer maps the only thin you can do is place AI chokepoints to encourage the AI to reinforce an area, however if there's already CPs there they don't behave any differently I find. This is an easy map to beat the AI on, as you will basically meet in the middle and out-micro it, but it's much more subtle against a human opponent since there are 3 CPs and you only need 2 to win and there's only 1 relic between the 2 of you. I find that whoever holds the clifftop usually wins in the end.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    oh don't worry conor, i played a fair number of rounds during the beta... and usually got pretty soundly spanked smile.gif

comp stomps i can usually handle, though. so maybe we'll load it up and have some fun on this map smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, cool map. Like the watering-hole feel of it. I've only had the chance to play the demo of WarHammer but from what I saw the game models would fit in OK with this map. Especially if the map was made to take pull from the games engine... which from what I could tell had some ragdoll physics...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the physics of the game are quite limited. its more RTS based gameplay than action. but you can rotate and zoom the camera to ground level, and as close as you like...

some of the monsters like the bloodthirster and the avatar of khain have kickass instakill moves (the bloodthirster gets people stuck on his axe and bats them accross the map, and the avatar lets people slowly slide down his sword...) being that they are nearly 3 times human size its not surprising tho..

excellent map, ill play it later smile.gif
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    AdamBrome - if you're talking about deforming the sand when the models hit it then no, that doesn't work, but it does place pretty convincing crater effects on the sand when artillery strikes it.

Almight_gir - play it online! There's not enough people hosting new maps online.