Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Soldier Head WIP

Frost
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Frost polycounter lvl 18
Hello there, I'm working on this player model for Action UT right now, just finished the head and I'm not 100% sure if the edgeloops and the topology are all fine, even tho I'm pretty confident that it's among my best work so far. (That might not say much, eh)

I'd appreciate a few hints and crits smile.gif As for what the hell he's supposed to be, think a well aged hulking Commando with a monocle and big sideburns, a scotsman maybe.

commando2.jpg
commando.jpg

I thought about adding the sideburns to the model in the manner of the soul patch, for use with alpha mapping later, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Crit away! laugh.gif

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm no crits yet? Lets see:

1) Top of his head is a little short. Eyes go in the middle of the head. smile.gif
    2) You might want to give him a little more brow definition. It seems a little flat right now.
    3) The eyes need the most work i think, Try getting some good referance pictures and really work on them. smile.gif
    4) With the polycount you have you probobly could drop a few polys into the ears and give them a little more definition.
    5) I like the soul patch, good stuff. I wouldn't go with alpha's for the sideburns unless they are really long sideburns. (as in hair length)
    6) I love the thick neck thats some good stuff. Makes him feel really beefy. laugh.gif

It looks good so far man, keep it up. I'm not completely sure about a monocle. Seems a bit out of place when talking about the war scene, but if you can pull off something new without making it look odd, go for it. wink.gif
  • Frost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frost polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the crits, I'll work on it as soon as I get home!

You might be right about a monocle being very offbeat, even tho I have to mention that Action UT is more of an Action movie mod than a military mod, the characters are supposed to be a little whacky. We will see how it works out. If it doesn't, it's not much work to remove it. smile.gif

Thanks for taking the time to crit!

EDIT: Could you please elaborate on what's wrong with the eyes? Thanks smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    First thing I noticed about him was how flat his face is. Bring the lower portion of the face from the cheekbones out a bit. Pulling out the brow ridge would help too.

Ear is a bit on the small side. The bottom should be in line with the bottom of the nose, or thereabouts. Its a tad too far forward too.

If you're going for a really buff muscular typed guy, it helps to really define the jawline.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Heh, first thing I noticed were his teensy-tiny ears. I like the model, and the direction you're running in with the character, there's just some proportional errors that are easy to fix up.

The eyes usually go in the middle of the face (where the distance from the eyes to the chin is the same from the eyes to the top of the head). I *think* his eyes are too small but its hard to tell with that, I could be being picky on that one.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fine to me. I understand what a few are saying about the eyes, jaw, etc, but the fact of the matter is, in real life, people's heads are not perfectly shaped like a mannequin. That goes for a number of body parts.