Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Been working on this, tell me what cha think

War_Destroyer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
I started with a pencil sketch, scanned it into photoshop and went to town with the paintbrush.
I'm interested in hearing what you talented individuals have to say.

_wip_02_thumbnail.gif

Replies

• Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    I think you could up the contrast a little, it just looks flat with the black boarder and the red background.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx Voodoo.
    http://www.editmesh.net/artists/abrown/media/images/_wip_contrast.jpg
    I turned up the contrast just a bit and it does seem to pop the character out a bit more although I may go with a completely different background color.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    looks better I'd try going with a lower saturated background. The background is so rich it makes your character (the crown of the head in particular) look kinda of muted in relation.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    this looks very carlos huante-inflected as far as the colors and shading--which is definitely not a bad thing smile.gif an initial crit i'd say from a quick once-over would be that the guy's left foot looks a little lumpy/not as well resolved as the right foot. it only sticks out because the rest of the character is so well rendered. and if you aren't familiar with huante's work, you should check him out smile.gif
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx Gauss! I've been a big fan of Huante's work ever since I saw Crusifiction in Spectrum 8 (I think it was 8, could have been spectrum 9). I struggled with the foot a bit in the initial drawing. I'll resolve it as soon as I get some free time. Here's anothe simple update took some of the saturation out of the Background.
    http://www.editmesh.net/artists/abrown/media/images/_wip_newback.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i definately am not feeling the pinkish background - it doesn't match the character's feeling. should darken or saturate it more. i played around with you image real fast, hope you don't mind - it was in hopes you might like something i did.

http://members.cox.net/wisdim2/Forum/crit/killnewback.jpg

i brought your colors closer to a monotoned pallet so they jived better, i would add some nice dashes of color here and there to make it stand out more.

i burned with a large soft-edge brush in shadow mode at a low setting (10). it really helps me push the contrast where it needs it. i really think you should push the vieny areas that have very few values - over using it will result in a bad look.

i composited a pic of stained cement over it for a quick grunge finished look. even a solid color overlayed at a light opacity will help harmonize your colors better. it isn't always a sure thing, it is good to have complimentive contrast in your colors.

i threw a sharpen filter on there.

i really like the way you rendered the form in this piece. the character looks cool.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hey, i really like this piece, but one thing really draws my attention and is bugging me. you've got a tattoo on his hand going right over a rather prominant vein with no specular highlights on it at all. looks like you put flat black right over his hand instead of it being part of his skin.

something about the shading on his chin and neck makes it appear flat, but i'm not sure what.

Killing.People, really liking your treatment on it.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    looking like a really fun character, and good crits killing and gauss
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow!!! Thanx guys for all the crits. They've been very helpful. Killing peeps I like what you did I'll, have to try using what you've suggested. Hopefully if time permits maybe tonight I'll get a chance to do so.