Home General Discussion

Iran war?

Ryno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ryno polycounter lvl 18
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=260984

Well, let's summarize and draw parallels. First the US. cries, "They've got weapons of mass destruction!" (nuclear). So far, there's no hard evidence of this, and this cannot be confirmed by international investigators. Of course, they are part of the "Axis of Evil" as president Bush stated, so this is enough to get the average American worried. Next, Colin Powell (poor sap) makes some administrative statement that "We really know they've got them." Then...

Now, this situation seems strangely familiar to me.

But are the Iranians really arming up because they are justifiedly scared shitless due to the Bush administration's aggressive use of force instead of diplomacy? Or is it all a smoke screen, as it was last time? Or something else altogether? Hmmmm....

Keep your eyes out folks.

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Subscription log-in Scott. What's the summary?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I hope nothing nasty happens. My guitar teacher was Iranian, and a very cool guy. Nearly all his family live in Iran, I don't wanna have to hear anything about "civilian casualties" again...
  • That Darn Satan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Darn Satan! polycounter lvl 18
    My mentor through most of my theatre years is living in Iran now, as is a friend who almost single-handedly taught me stage carpentry. I feel the same way ... civilian casualties in an attack on Iran wouldn't just piss me off from an ethical standpoint this time.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    President George W. Bush Feb. 11 offered a strong endorsement of U.S. programs to safeguard or destroy the arsenal of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and materials formerly possessed by the Soviet Union. However, in his fiscal year 2005 budget request to Congress, released just a week earlier, Bush did not substantially increase funding for these programs and actually proposed cuts to the Department of Defense component as well as suggested spending shifts in programs in the Departments of Energy and State.

[/ QUOTE ]

-http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2004_03/NunnLugarFunding.asp

[ QUOTE ]
    The Tehran government has a developed a plan to begin competing with New York's NYMEX and London's IPE with respect to international oil trades – using a euro-based international oil-trading mechanism. This means that without some form of US intervention, the euro is going to establish a firm foothold in the international oil trade. Given U.S. debt levels and the neoconservative project for U.S. global domination, Tehran's objective constitutes an obvious encroachment on US interests in the oil market.

[/ QUOTE ]

-http://www.altpr.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=355

scary stuff.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Group Says Iran Has Secret Nuclear Arms Program
    By DOUGLAS JEHL

WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 - An Iranian opposition group says it has new evidence that Iran is producing enriched uranium at a covert Defense Ministry facility in Tehran that has not been disclosed to United Nations inspectors.

The group, the National Council for Resistance in Iran, is planning to announce its finding in Paris on Wednesday. The group says that inspection of the site would demonstrate that Iran is secretly trying to produce nuclear weapons even while promising to freeze a critical part of its declared nuclear program, which it maintains is intended purely for civilian purposes.

A senior official of the group, Muhammad Mohaddessin, said in a telephone interview late on Tuesday that the group had shared the new information "very recently'' with the International Atomic Energy Agency. But he and other officials of the group said it had not discussed the matter with the United States government, and its claims could not be verified.

Iran's mission to the United Nations did not return messages seeking comment on the assertion.

The group, based in Paris, is the political arm of the People's Mujahedeen, which is listed by the United States government as a terrorist organization because of its involvement in attacks on Americans in the 1970's. But the group also has a successful track record in gathering intelligence on Iran, and was the first, in 2002, to disclose the existence of what was then the secret Iranian nuclear site at Natanz.

United Nations inspectors "should not be fooled or deceived by the Iranian regime,'' Mr. Mohaddessin said.

A spokesman in Washington for the National Council for Resistance in Iran provided a seven-page summary of the assertion to The New York Times.

It says that the previously undisclosed site, in northeastern Tehran, covers 60 acres and houses biological and chemical warfare projects as well as nuclear activity. It says that the site, known as the Modern Defensive Readiness and Technology Center, now houses operations previously carried out at another Defense Ministry site in Tehran that was destroyed by the Iranian government this year before international inspectors could visit it.

The assertion by the opposition group is surfacing in a week in which France, Britain and Germany announced a formal agreement with Iran committing the country to freeze a critical part of its nuclear program in exchange for an array of possible rewards.

As part of the pact with the Europeans, the International Atomic Energy Agency said Iran had promised to suspend its uranium enrichment program starting a week from now. But the agency said it could not rule out the possibility that Iran was conducting covert activities.

"All the declared nuclear material in Iran has been accounted for, and therefore such material is not diverted to prohibited activities," the agency said in a report, referring to possible Iran nuclear weapons activity. "The agency is, however, not in a position to conclude that there are no undeclared nuclear materials or activities in Iran."

The United States and European countries have argued that Iran's nuclear program is intended to produce weapons. Iran's leadership has insisted that is not engaged in a nuclear weapons program but has the sovereign right to enrich uranium.

Officials of the opposition group said they believed that the Iranian Defense Ministry and Revolutionary Guards Corps were pursuing their program in secret and had not told Iran's atomic energy agency of the existence of the facility in Tehran.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I pointed out this very real. possibility on the old site's long-running war thread. What nation is west of Iran? Iraq. What nation is east of Iran? Afghanistan. Knowing that, the rest is paint by numbers...
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    FOUR MORE WARS! FOUR MORE WARS!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe this is happening. It was only days ago I was reading an article explaining how Iran was temporarily stopping all Unranium Enrichment programs in order to have talks with European nations. The result could lead to help for Iran in using non-weapon related methods of producing energy for the country.

AND NOW... the American government is pulling out more scare techniques to frighten the bible humping rednecks that put W back in the saddle. And all for oil. What ever happened to the statements Bush made about alternate fuel sources during the debates? I think he spit up some fairy tale about a method of burning coal without pollution. I have the 1st and 3rd debates downloaded on CD waiting to be used against him. So much for America being innovative in technology. But hey, atleast Bush isn't making whores and faggots out of our little girls, right?
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    But hey, at least Bush isn't making whores and faggots out of our little girls, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, where was that in the Republican platform? I would have voted for that... A world full of whores and faggots would be much more safe and peaceful than a world full of sexually repressed religious zealots. Not sure if I'm talking about Shiites or Southern Baptists? Neither am I.

That's a strange turn of phrase, Elysium, does that refer to anything specific? All I can think of is, the Bush girls are sorority partiers, and Dick Cheney's daughter is gay.. Hmmmmm.

/jzero
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero - it was a quote from a Bushlamic Fundamentalist that called in to a show on Cspan. Ranted about how she was voting for Bush because Kerry attended the "Black Mass" and wanted to turn all of our little girls into whores and our little boys into faggots.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I remember that AZ. But even the other wacky right wingers were like "WTF is this loon talking about?!"
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are amazing.... and Predictable...

Scott
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's a strange turn of phrase, Elysium, does that refer to anything specific?
    /jzero

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I would throw that in to see if some remember the phone segment from Cspan. It's unlike me to use the "F" word, because I have no stance on the same sex marriage issue. The purpose of my phrase was to show how revolting it is that we (Americans) have elected an administration on such a trivial domestic issue, while "Operation Oil Pipeline Security", rages on killing hundreds of innocent victims in the Middle East.

I'm getting exhausted from all these political threads. frown.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You guys are amazing.... and Predictable...

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you were gonna say that.

tongue.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, that's the typical condescending and righteous tone we've come to know and expect from the right tongue.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    You know you guys are slamming the bloody shite out of the “right” without considering you have applied the same BIGOT filter & stereotyping that you claim we have.

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Face it, you guys lost, get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Sounds like what the North has been saying to the South since the Civil war. But man, I'll tell you what, we sure are gonna kick some ass over there in Afganustan, err...I mean Irak, uhm....I mean that one in between 'em. *spit*

[ QUOTE ]
    Excuse me now, I have to go phuct my cousin/wife, drink beer, listen to a sermon against gays on my old 8 track player in my mobile home & then go hunting for prairie dogs….

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHA! laugh.gif

Ok, let's hear more about Iran. What do you Republicans think about the issue? More WMD's? Kill the ragheads? TERRORISTS!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I'd like to know what people who voted Bush think about the Iran issue. Is there any solid evidence that they Iranian government are manufacturing weapons of mass destruction? Did they let weapons inspectors into the country quite happily? When was the last Iranian terrorist attack on western civilisation?
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ely for bringing this back to the focus of what was posted.

The scary thing to me is almost everyone I work with here is past military or has kids in the service, really, and they seem like they need little evidence to go ahead and invade Iran.

Mop – Some the older people about me, myself included are not too young and still recall the Iranian hostage crisis in 1978. Basically the Iranian revolution took over and they over powered the American embassy and held hostages for like 478 or more days while Jimmy Carter acted like a little pussy cat. Finally after Ron Reagan got elected the Iranians released the hostages 23 days later. Bascially people around me see Iran as a religiously ruled Islamic state and feel it is less dangerous than Iraq, but they still recall vividly in their memories about the hostage crisis.

Contrary to the standard redneck process, I know about a dozen Iranians in the US and most are work associates who are cool Guys. One of my best Pals in school was an Iranian student from Tehran & also a few local vendors. I hope nothing weird happens in their homeland. I can only visualize the chaos since the other two countries we invaded are still unsettled.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't think a 26-year old event is a basis for a war now... Has anything like that happened more recently?
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree Mop, 26 year old issue is very old.

I don't have much more opinion on it but that I hope no invasion happens. I need to read up on it. But I am overwhelmed by a home remodel/moving, gba games, ebay, gba rom flash cards, my fantasy fighting card game, random names, ut2003, burning books on tape to cd's. Sheesh my head hurts........
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really don't think a 26-year old event is a basis for a war now... Has anything like that happened more recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rumsfield and Cheney were in the government at the time, they remember.

Saddam seemed more feasible to topple over because he invaded neighboring countries, Iran/Qwait. Iran? I don't know.

It's like convicting Scott Peterson because he's an asshole. No direct evidence of wrong doing, we just feel he coulda done it.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like if the US does anything in Iran it will be a lot different (sorry, I meant ALOT different Rick) because all of our troops will probably still be tied up in Iraq for the next four years. So there might be some bombing of targets or something but no "Operation Iranian Freedom".
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    "The North Koreans are closely watching Iran's nuclear negotiations"
    "The main reason why Iran's nuclear issue hasn't reached a final solution is because the United States has adopted the policy of antagonizing Iran"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the American way. Don't forget we also antagonize France. Those French bastards and their French Fries* and their French Toast*!

*total American ignorance.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=47235

[ QUOTE ]
    "A major new alliance is emerging between Iran and China that threatens to undermine U.S"

[/ QUOTE ]

It begins.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002094049_iranchina18.html

[ QUOTE ]
    Russian President Vladimir Putin today signalled his country was in the process of developing a new missile, unlike any other, which could evade the American missile defence shield.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh shit. Now would be a good time NOT to piss off Russia or China.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1246395.htm
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seems like if the US does anything in Iran it will be a lot different (sorry, I meant ALOT different Rick) because all of our troops will probably still be tied up in Iraq for the next four years. So there might be some bombing of targets or something but no "Operation Iranian Freedom".

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless Bush orders the other kind of draft...
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's "a lot". smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, see RickS's sig smile.gif

AZ - I don't see why anyone thinks Bush would institute the draft. He doesn't have those powers alone, congress has to okay it. And that is the last thing the republicans would want to do - the draft is political suicide. Any congress person voting for the draft is writing their own pink slip. I think the only people talking about the draft have been democrats trying to use it as a scare tactic that the rep's will enact one... kinda far fetched imo.

Actually the only politicians _seriously_ backing a draft recently have been a handful of democrats, who think that if we had one we wouldn't get into wars so lightly because the rich and powerful people's kids would be enlisted. Yeah that worked great with Vietnam, see GW for an example - rich and powerful people can always get their kids out of stuff if they really want to.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'd just like to see a third-world-engineered nuclear weapon poorly constructed, launched, botched, and crashing undetonated to the ground... (see Sterlings's 'Islands in the Net')

I would, if the other possibility weren't so tragic...

/jzero
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iran was the seat of the New Islamist Fundamentalism. This new Maadism. No Fundamental Islamist Nation or Organization should be permitted the possession of Nuclear Weapons. Read Winston Churchill's "The River War[/b}".

In the mean time:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson200411190830.asp

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/start.asp?P_Article=12903

Scott
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    Do you know what the rules are if a draft is in place? I actually talked to recruiters about joining a branch. My grandfather's fought in WWII and I would have joined the military to do a duty to the US and to help pay for college. Unfortunetly I have asthma and the government didn't trust me with a multi-million dollar jet even though I've been an athlete since I was 6.

Do they drop medical restrictions when the draft is in place? Anybody have any info?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They do not drop the medical requirements during a draft. but Please, do not worry about a draft. It's not going to happen.

Scott
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selective Service classifications are only determined at the time of a draft - there is no permanent criteria for who is too disabled to be drafted. This info is on the SS website.

Insofar as who practically is excused from a draft, I think you'd almost certainly be let off the hook in anything short of a World War scale national mobilization. My dad was drafted for Vietnam but did not have to serve due to hereditary high blood pressure (has to take one pill every day) despite the fact that he was otherwise perfectly healthy. Even though he was capable of performing any non-combat task, he was dismissed outright. He's 56 now and never had any actual cardiovascular complications, so hbp has been rather a pluss for him to this point.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting thing about the Selective Service department this past week - they contacted the board of education for a list of high school grads so they could check and make sure they had all enlisted with Selective Service. Not sure how common this practice is but sounds to me like they're making their list and checking it twice wink.gif

There already is a back-door draft in place. People are being called up from IRR and troops who have fulfilled their active duty requirement are not being discharged (aka "Stop-loss"). In one incident they are trying to recall a man who has been out for 13 years. The military is stretched thin and desperate for troops. Some units are on their 3rd deployment to Iraq. If we get into it with Iran I really don't see what choice the government is going to have. IRR recall is the first step. Don't be so confident that we won't see a draft in the next 4 years.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I dont mind serving but I'd rather be prepared for it then get a letter out of the blue one day saying "hey come to the recruitment office for your orders".
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who's confident? If the CIC decides he wants to roll the dice on Iran or North Korea (the remaining Axis of Evil, both of which are coincidentally in the news today), he's going to need more bodies on the ground than the army can provide right now. I don't think it will happen, but I'm certainly not willing to lay any money on that.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does this remind anybody of the fall of the roman empire?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, not really. The Romans had largely slipped into a cultural decadence and malaise. They inevitably became lax in their own defense, and that's why a horde of relative barbarians were able to bring the western Empire down (the eastern half of the Roman Empire lasted until 1472 (I may be off a few years) when the Turks took Constantinople.) The 5th century Romans weren't uptight conservatives looking to spread their influence and control throughout the rest of the world - they had pretty much taken care of that three centuries prior. If Rome is to prove the precedent, we still have a few hundred years before the wheels fall off. Heck, we're still a republic! Also, geography works in America's favor, as the only regions presently capable of mounting an invasion are Canada and Mexico. One of the Roman Empire's problems was that they had to defend all the land they conquered directly, or at least via military proxy. Modern America is sort of taking a page from the latter days of the British Empire, using a cultural sphere of influence as the primary method of control and only using military force on an as-needed basis. At the very least, I figure we've got a few centuries before we need to start panicking.

This is likely a more serious reply than the post warranted, but I've heard the analogy a couple of times in recent years and have actually given the matter some thought, so you all have to look at it as a result tongue.gif
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it was way more serious =) you're taking a very literal viewpoint and I was kind of seeing it as similar but taking into consideration advances. First of all the Romans only had to fear enemies who could reach them, presently and recently it's been proven that america is not invulnerable to attack from countries half way around the world. With talk of nuclear devices the threat becomes more real and the scale of a single nuclear devices destruction in a single use is much greater then that of a roman legion in a single battle. Secondly the biggest problem with the Roman Empire was that it was over extended. It couldn't move troops from one place to another or else it would leave places undefended. We're facing the same problem now. We're trapped in Iraq for the time being. If the need for force is neccessary who will we send AND god help us if we have to stage an iran and korean offensive at the same time. I conceed your point that Rome had to defend it's conquered terriorty but pose the question "Hasn't president bush invaded Iraq in the name of America's defense?"

There is also the potential threat of the American dollar losing value. If this happens we're going to be in a lot of economic trouble especially with the raising gas prices (the control of oil is in my opinion part of the secret agenda of the bush administration).

So taking our near over extension, plus the threat of an economic regression, plus the civil anger that will araise if bush has to reinstate the draft, I think you can at least make a comparison to what happend to the Romans and other great societies which caused their downfall. I'm not saying it will happen I'm just saying I think in the times ahead we have to be very careful about the moves we make. I think we're treading on very thin ice and we need to adopt a new image besides that of the giant, invulnerable super power or else we're going to go crashing right through.

Iran I think we can strong arm, but what's to stop Korea from saying "screw you". They've already got two known weapons and probably more. We cant invade them, they have one of the largest armies in the world and we're no where near being able to pull out of iraq. I honestly dont think their dictator can be intimidated either.

We're just in a very nervous time and I think the severity of our situation needs to be fully expressed. It's better to be a little paranoid and safe then over confident and in danger.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the odds on an Iran invasion are 50-50. It's pretty easy to do at this point, and there's no one who really gives enough of a fuck to stop America from doing it. North Korea, that's something else. I give that <5% chance of happening. First, the US needs to wrap the mid-East up completely and redeploy a few hundred thousand people to South Korea. Second, while the world grumbles and shuffles it's collective feet over the happenings in Iraq or Iran, China would take a much keener interest in the Unites States invading North Korea. The DPRK is actually a handy buffer zone for the Chinese, as it keeps capitalist and democratically free South Korea at arm's length. A reunified and 'liberated' Korea would go over like a lead balloon with the Chinese government, meaning they're much likelier to forcibly step in before the bombs start falling.

I also imagine that the likelihood of a nuclear debacle in North Korea is infinitely higher than anywhere else, and there's just no point in gambling on that with no apparent gain. I suspect that the Russians and Japanese would be equally opposed to The Korean War Pt. 2, just because of the atomic potential. If Seoul or Tokyo gets vaporized, America is gonna have some esplainin' to do.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    They are removing Dictator pictures in NK all over the place...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read about that, Duke. Wonder what's going on over there...
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McCain said last night in the news he is concerned why Iran is so adament on using nuclear energy since they have so much oil.

I also talked to 3 pissed off customers who want us to sell and support pc products since they had problems and when they called support all they got was Indian accented personal and could not understand them at all. This was Dell, HP and another mfg. Maybe our President should concentrate more on out sourceing to India than invading of Iran, but of course we can always invade India and takeover right?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    "Why are the powerful countries allowed nuclear energy and not us?"

This is what some of the Iranian public interviewed on the BBC News website are saying. I agree with them. Are they not allowed it because we percieve their leaders as "unstable" or "evil"? The same could be said for Bush or Blair, or anyone - it just depends on the viewpoint.

That said, Iran are cutting back their nuclear program to comply with European demands. They don't want a war. Neither do we. But does Bush?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That said, Iran are cutting back their nuclear program to comply with European demands. They don't want a war. Neither do we. But does Bush?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good news. Last I heard the talks weren't going so well. Even now that Iran is cooperating, I doubt US pressure will decrease. Glad to know you Europeans know what it means to communicate.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I think that the concept of keeping nuclear weapons out of the hand of fundamentalist religious fanantics with poor track records is probably a good thing. Hopefully Iran complies, and we don't have to deal with it.

"Why are the powerful countries allowed nuclear weapons and not us?"

That is because years ago treaties were signed that basically said that if you don't have nuclear weapons at this point, you're not allowed to have them. At the same time, countries like the U.S, Russia, etc, decided to reduce or stop making new nuclear arms.

As far as NK, I think it's in China's best interest to deal with the situation, and they know it. The last thing they want is for us to occupy NK, and they don't want that screwball having any kind of nuclear threat so close to them.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Where was this policy when India and Pakistan became nuclear powers?

If I was in Iran I'd be asking the same questions. Why are they not allowed to develop a nuclear arsenal? I would be a little nervous with no leverage and the Allies knocking at both my front and back door, claiming I'm part of an "Axis of Evil" This is the Crusades Part Deux. Christians have always had a wild hair up their asses about Islam and vice versa.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop I was thinking that too, which groups get Nuclear weapons/energy and who does not?

I guess Iran seems unstable to have them and the ruler in NK is a real real wacko, but then again many of you are laughing right now because you think Bush is crazy. shakes head and shrugs......

Sledgy I hear you, it is the Crusaders vs the Muslims 600 yrs later right? I think on real terms though you are all making it to simple to blame bible-thumpers for Bush backing, plenty of non-chruch-goers, beer drinkers, pro-gun enthusiasts back Bush 100%. I hear more sympathy towards Iraqi's in the "Christian cirles" than anywhere else.
    But I still say most people in my area are stupid idiots because they drive 20 to 25 mph faster than posted speed limits without safety belts.

I am more afraid of NK than Iran atm.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm more afraid of the US than DPRK or Iran.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not as worried about NK as Iran. Reason being, that culture does not exude a hatred for western ways and cultures that anyone without their head in the sand realizes is very strong in the Middle East. It's far more plausible to me to see someone in Iran sneaking a small nuclear device into the U.S and detonating it on U.S soil than someone from NK. There just is no precedent for this amongst Asian cultures, which are among the most civilized and honorable on the planet. Yes Kim Song Joo is a madman, and has the worst hair in the history of dictators, LOL, but does anyone honestly think he's going to fire a missile at the U.S? First off, he'd be lucky to have the technology to even develop a missile that could reach Alaska, much less the U.S West Coast. Secondly, if the missile wasn't plucked out of the sky before it landed, having his country turned into a pile of radioactive rubble is probably not something even a man that crazy is looking for. The bottom line is, he wants leverage to get sanctions removed from his country for restarting his nuclear program in the first place.

This is really China's problem, and the U.S. is leaving it up to them. I can't see us getting involved too much. I think Kerry wanted to, but that would have been a major mistake.

As far as Iran, invading them would be easy enough, given their lack of military strength and the fact that we are right next door already. I think the reason that Iran is negotiating, is because of that. If we weren't already in Iraq, Iran would be alot more defiant.

Regarding India and Pakistan, those countries already had the bomb before those treaties took place in the 80's.