Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3 recent works...C&C all welcome.

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys

Been forever since i last pimped anything so figured maybe i should smile.gif,but anyway I was wondering if you could give me some C&C on these 3 items of intrest.

Fn-FAL assault rifle I modeled/textured for my folio/demo reel.It has a diffrent feel to it than my normal work goes I think,much more of a rugged style,which is proberly a good thing.

here it is http://www.hedgeart.com/random/fn_falren1.jpg

The second is an NH90 helicopter again for my demo reel/folio....the polycount is 3400 which is higher than what I had orginally intended but still within the ranges of what it was for...1x 1024x1024 texture and 1x 128x128 texture,could proberly get away with 1x 512x512 texture.

http://www.hedgeart.com/random/NH90_ren3.jpg

and finally the story behind this is simply orginally I was gonna take its simple shape to try my hand at this normal mapping milarcky,but struggaled....and in the end was quite facinated by the carvings of the clock i just ended up modelled it very hi-poly anyway and got rather carried way...my computer now grinds.

http://www.hedgeart.com/random/hipolyclock.jpg

Thanks smile.gif

john.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good to see you posting smile.gif as for crits, here you go:
    well the fn-fal definitely looks like it needs the most work out of the bunch. what are the white highlights that run the length of the weapon? are those painted on? any of the detail on this weapon is seriously very difficult to read. there are enough very high quality weapon models being made these days that you would do well to follow their example, and also make sure that you've got good reference that you're sticking to.

the helicopter fairs a lot better, but there are still problems. overall the blue color looks washed out; if that's the color it should be then maybe it's the render. anyhow, perhaps the most immediately distracting detail is that the left window on the cockpit has a strong black edge to it, but neither of the upper or lower front windows have that black lining, an inconsistency that makes it very difficult to 'read' the windows. put a stronger defining edge on the other windows and they'll look more like windows.

i don't have much to say about the clock (have yet to do a normal map experiment myself smile.gif ) but it definitely is still a work in progress. you computer might chug but you're going to need to bring up the rest of the clock (or at least texture it) for it to be a complete looking piece. but it's a good start.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey gauss

thanks for taking the time to crit my stuff,much appreciated.

On the Fn-FAL I presume ya mean the hi-lights that go along the edge of the grip at the front?
    if your talkign about the main sections I was thinking along the lines of if ya ahve a flat surface the areas around the edges are gnerally darker than the central area....maybe I just wasn't sutle enough??

Anyway i have posted the texture so u can have a closer look smile.gif. http://www.hedgeart.com/random/fn-faltex512.jpg

As for the Nh90 I might just add a subtle green into that overall colour just so its not such a saturated blue and of course il lsort the window fault out also....its just bottom one taht has a rim the main windows are how I made them according to the refs.The thing I found really hard with the helicopter which im really happy with how it came out is the plastic/fibreglass kind of look...one of my better overall pieces I think.

The clock...I might well go ahead and texture it anyway,have a real mess around at last with specular maps, bump maps etc,see where it goes.

Again thanks for your time gauss

john
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    The chopper is pritty cool. nice work
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey bronco, as I told you over MSN I think the heli needs some grit to it. It's too clean and perfect looking. No helicopter is that shiney and perfect. Gotta throw in some scratches, dirt, etc.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Adam

Well ive got done it now better late than never,ill post up a piccy abit later. Right now im going on a texture hunt..got builders round our house..good time to get some nice hi-res texture photos smile.gif

Cheers guys

John