Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Del's Head

FatAssasin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
Something I'm working on for a client. This will eventually be the main character in a pre-rendered adventure game. Created in 3DS Max and rendered with Brazil. The hair is done with HairFX, but it's temporary right now. This isn't his final hairstyle. smile.gif

delHead03.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good man. My biggest crit is the ear, its way to fattty and lacks any sharp edges. Try to get it a bit more "earlike".

Also a bit of SSS on the nostrils and ears would go a long way.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    cool. i think the eyes are too small. the nose seems a little underdetailed, as well. im not sure what referece you're using tho. it might be a good idea to define the nose a little more.

i like the texutre quite a bit-- but i think it might help to add a bit more translucency. im not sure if you have any on there at all-- i can't realy tell. a good fake is just to add saturation to the terminator (shaded section) of the model. if you don't know about this and want more info, i'll go into detial, just ask..

it's nice!
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    further im suggesting to maybe put alittle work in the model in the face itself. it doesnt seem as it has enough character to me yet. looks rather generic and basic. i agree with poop on the ear it needs a bit more work but u have to know that im with u ... also got problems on that spot on my current models. the structure is rather easy tho once u understood it.

im thinkin that the folds on the forehead look rather on realistic and too smooth.

u could post some more angles if u can...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff fat assassin--like poop mentioned, the ear looks like it needs work, and maybe just some overall refining/tweaking items and features until it really sings. the part i like the most is probably the eyebrows, though maybe just a bit too bushy they look great. keep it up and show us any future shots smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you all caught me on the ear. It's part of an older model I did and just slapped onto this one. I was never happy with it myself. Note to self: Don't be lazy. And I agree that it needs some polishing. Back to work!

Here's a couple non-textured renders:
    delHead02.jpg
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update with new and improved ears. Still need to tweak a few other parts. Also changed the lighting setup. Hair is still temp.

delHead03c.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    If you're going to make his eyebrows that thick I would say you should go to the trouble of making them a alpha masked object. Right now they look splotchy and unrefined, especially toward the outer ends, and those ends go back a bit too far as well. My eyebrows, which are bloody oversized, end at the very outer edge of my eye line.

Other then that this guy is looking really good. The ears ended up fine, the hair is nice, and he's got good variation on the skintone.

Maybe think about bringing those eyes a bit closer together as well...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice texture work, but the eyelashes look like some horror story from a revlon commercial. Easy thing to fix but for rite now its just creeping me out. I like the fluffyness of the hair that you got from using planes.
    I have to ask, how does he look from the front and side?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    They eyes are a little too small. The head, when viewed straight on, is 5 "eyes' Wide, with the eyes falling directly into the "second" and Fourth spots. There should be the distance of one "eye" between them. The eyes might be a hair too high on the head as well asagain, directly from the front, the line throughthe center of the eyes is halfway between the top of the head, and the bottom of the chin. Otherwise, better than average texture work, and a nice sense of realism. This is your roomate? how does he feel about the model?

Scott
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Give us the front/side views!
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero: I agree about the eyelashes, I'll be working on them next. And I'm not using planes for the hair, it's HairFX.

Scott: My wife is my roomate, so no, this isn't my a model of my roomate. smile.gif I don't know where that came from, it's the main character for an adventure game.

I worked on the eyes and eyebrows a bit. Here's the front and side views:
    delsHead04.jpg

I'm still not 100% satisfied. He looks a bit feminine from the side. I'm trying to get a more rugged look going. Any suggestions?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    How old is he supposed to be? Maybe add more of a '5 o'clock' shadow. From the side, it looks like he's wearing blush or something. That's probably what is giving the female feel. Maybe thicken up the eyebrows some too
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    The femininity from the side view is because of the near vertical forehead. slope it back a bit. Eyes are a bit better. How old is he supposed to be, because he looks 25 - 16? but a bit stocky.

Scott
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is good stuff! I did a quick liquify to show how I think you could improve the proportions.
    However, after reviewing it, as always, I wonder if I went too far.
    Well, take it for what its worth.
    fat_liquify.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think somewhere halfway between the original shape, and Scoob's altered shape there, would be just about perfect.
    The way the centre of the bottom of the nose connects to the area above the upper lip is not anatomically correct, it should be a smoother curve, not a sharp edge like that.
    Textures look pretty good though. I agree with TGZ about the eyelashes, and what Scott said about the eyebrows.

Just a little more work and it will be excellent.

MoP
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paint over Scooby. I did get the feeling he was a bit flat-faced. I'll try going in the direction you point out, though not as extreme. smile.gif

Currently working on the eyebrows and lashes. I'm actually wondering if it's best to leave out the lashes all together. I know in illustrations and comic books, artists generally don't draw eyelashes for male characters, unless they want them to look more feminine.

Edit:
    Here's an update. I made a lot of small changes, and a few bigger ones.

delsHead05a.jpg

delsHead05b.jpg
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to let this go for a while, but I've had some time to work on it again and here's the update. Thanks to everyone who helped me out, I think this is pretty close to finished, let me know what you think.

delsHead06a.jpg
    delsHead06b.jpg

Is it just me, or does he look a bit like Patrick Swayze now? I think it's the hair. smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Bring in his jaw line just a bit, so it doesnt stick out as far about 1/4 in. Pull the ears out some, not much but like a 1/5 in. that should help the front view. As for him looking like patrick swayze, yeah....