Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portrait WIP Oldman

Replies

• SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    Gary Oldman, or a man advanced in years?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Well you got the volumes pretty well, but the color is still very wonky. He looks like he has a fine bronze dust settled over him. I think you need to paint more with actual colors, and do not rely on the smudge brush so much. Keep plugging away man.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good frostman. I see some improvements in your work, but still resembles dark character texturing. Like poop says, try adding more color. FInd some articles on color theory, and lighting.

My advice is try something completely opposite. Try painting, perhaps a landscape, in bright vivid colors. It'll help break you away from the trend you're on.

Have you used a program like OpenCanvas? Or even ArtRage? Cool apps you should look into for painting. ArtRage has a nice trace option that's educational. OpenCanvas allows for recording, and online sessions with others.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Sjet - ha! smile.gif I actually started it as a Connery portrait from the 007 string in gd, looks nothing like Sean though.

Yo Poop thx I am trying to learn more about color and some of the portrait painters at open canvas.com

Grind thanx mate I will check into those ideas. I was attempting to study the light fall on this guy as much as possible.