Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

101st Airborne low poly model

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
http://www.3dcafe.com/forums/ubb/Forum10/HTML/002086.html

working to improve my modeling and texturing,here is latest work ive made.

Replies

• lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cool.
    Compared to his shoulders his waist looks a tiny bit too narrow. And for the knees to bend I would add more polys in the front of the leg where the kneecap would be. His hands could be a little bit bigger or fatter.
    The skin looks good too. I would add some wrinkles in the cloth and add some detail to the top of the shirt (gap in front between the collar). Maybe some buttons and dogtags.
    His face looks a little bit too dirty compared to his clothes though smile.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback,actually thats camo paint on his face jumpers used in world war 2.

The hand i am gonna make bigger hands and re physiqu it,i like the dogtag idea but buttons werent part of that uniform,well they are but that center cloth part of the shirt covers them.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    As the resident WW2 "Expert" here, a few comments

anatomically he has superheroic proportions, in that his shoulders are very wide and his legs are very long. The trousers should be a little baggier. Also his helmet looks a tad large (?) his hands are a little bit to small. he also isn't burdened with enough crap. :-) Example

bob01.jpg I hope this helps out.

Scott
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Render3.jpg

fixed those proportion issues,ill rephysique him tonight.

also can anyone comment if they think i am hireable yet at a real game studio,im working now but its not in game development where id like to be.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    looks fairly good heres a few comments

-boots appear a bit too red; i do like the laces a lot though. try lowering the color saturation just a bit should do it

-the belt pack on most of the photo references lies equal with their belt you may wish to lower it

- the pockets on his jacket flaps below the beltline - they should be touching the beltline if you check the photo reference

-i think you need to re-do his face texture .. i assume its gun power or smoke covered - but if so then his upper body chest should be also at minimumn and its not - and the photo ref has 1 or 2 guys with some facepaint but its not like what you have here at all

So all that aside - its a fairly solid effort. As for is it professional enough to get you hired? Well submit some resumes and find out.

Heres an example of my current work:
    http://studio-erebus.com/studio/pcnw/nw-female-solo-2.jpg

And I am currently not employed full time in the game industry - I have 2 non-triple A titles under my belt and another non-triple A coming soon.

best of luck.

melkior (at)
    studio-erebus.com
    Nightwatch Modeling Team Lead
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    thanx,ive applied at places before and never get responses.

guess keep trying, ill make some of tose changes too.

I think whats killing me also is the lack of eperience which brings the whole chicken and the egg dilemma.

as for the bottom pockets it seems they touch the belt dueto the large ammo belts.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    proportions good. but thebelt is a little high, the cartridge belt should cover the jacket's belt. the belt should be a little "taller, by a hair.

Scott
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    The texture on the clothes looks good, but the face could use some more work. The way the camo paint stops around the eyes makes his eyes look kind of big and overly bright from a distance. Also, to make it more obvious that it's paint, you could maybe leave more parts of the face his natural skin tone (like around the neck line, for instance), so that there's something more to compare it to.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Render.jpg

someone also commented earlier about not enough equipment on him,when i get the model down ill model out some more stuff to put on him.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd say he looks pretty good. There's an obvious seam running down the front of his arms that could be fixed up to be less noticable. His boots look really muddy, which looks nice on a model like that. I much prefer his cleaner face to his dirty/black face. Could you post the texture flats so we could check it out?
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    The model looks ok, I don't much like the textures as they are very splodgy. Try adding some sharper, finer strokes to define the shapes and material better.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    why dont you post the texture flats so folks can give you some tips on that; i think it may improve your overall look quite a bit?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18