Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grenade Launcher WIP

Replies

• Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    That is really cool smile.gif I would add some burning tracks (or something like that) on the metal near the grenades, to give a "already used" feeling.

In fact, I think the whole gun need a rusty/damage pass.

great job!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is another update. I'm almost done. I'll be adding dirt to it soon. I worked more on the shading and added most of the final details to the exterior of the gun. Let me know what you think.

Alex

gL14.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the little light you added. It makes it look very angry, or at least slightly put out.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh yeah, that was a happy accident. The general shape of the gun looks like the head of a pissed off rhino of sorts. That's what it reminds me of anyway. Thanks for the comment Steakhouse.

Alex
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Thats whats wrong with it, i have looked at this every time you made some change to it and couldnt figure it out. All your texturing is the same depth. All the details are so shalow it feels epmty. Your missing the high contrast that makes the details pop. You already have the details, you just need to make them all pop out or into the gun.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    This might sound like a stupid question, Thegodzero , but what is a good way of doing that? I have had trouble finding a good workflow to keep me from having this problem again and again. At the end of texturing I just paint in stonger shadows with a mutiply layer. But really that is just a work around. I have always had this problem even with traditional painting, I get to this point and can't get to the next step. Any tips would be welcome. Thanks.

Alex
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Stronger shadows and specular highlights will give it depth. Certainly looks like it could use some contrast.

Don't be afraid to take some bold strokes...
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Make the tightest shadows 100% black and the tightest highlights 100% white, it will give it more depth, and feel more like metal, whereas right now it seems the contrast makes it feel like it was made out of brick.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Alex keep it up...

Is it a metal you are going for?,I mean the redness of it reminds me of a plastic just add some reflections using an enviromental image of some sort,distort the images,make it a soft-light blend and then chnage opacity as desired,that would create abit more color in the surface and works rather well.

if of course it is metal,you really need to scratch the beech up..add some underlayers of paint also,which would also help break the red up..I think thats the main prob...

Rage:- Id have to disagree I think with your highlights being 100% white...It would work for like where the paint has been scratched or is "pure" metal but apart from that Im not sure there would be that much highlight as the surface treatment and red paint would dull down the highlighted areas somewhat.

good luck with it though alex.

john
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sage, looking at the engine its going into id say make a bump map for it. That way your nice lighting will show on this gun of yours. That and a specularity map. If you dont want to go that path, then go the path of the under light and the over light. With very dark shadows and full highlights like bronco said only not balck and white, use the complementary colors for the darks and i guess white if you want for brites.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    killgL14.jpg

i would totally up the contrast and add some variation in the red color to break up the forms and make it more interesting. i usde gray marks and the smudge tool on a color layer.
    unless you were against it, i think giving the edges some dings and nitches would make it look less like a 3d model. the old trick still looks good imo. smile.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    i might add that u could pick certain shapes that u have painted there and tone up or down in brightness to make it even more... variated .... but just on on spot ... i see some interesting shappes on the side where the magazine sits ... maybe there. also ... dirty up the blank grey metal...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is another update. Thanks for the tips. I played with the contrast a bit and added more details to the inside of the gun where the clip goes. Let me know what you think.

Alex

gL15.jpg
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better, little by little. Good job. I think you could go a little further on the highlights. I did a quick paintover with some subtle things that could give it some more depth, if it helps any. You'll have to excuse the messyness, but you should get the idea from it.

paintover.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Almost done. I added some imperfection to the gun and played with the highlights some more. Thank you guys for the feedback and the paint overs, it was very helpful. Let me know what you think.

Alex

gL16.jpg
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    sweet! when will nexuiz be released? Are you guys still using that skin i did hundred years ago? (im guessing not :P)

//edit: after a little research i see that there`S a closed beta thing. I wanna test! *runs off to apply*
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    nexuiz will hopefully be released sometime in the first half of april.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I'm pretty much done with the gun at this point. Here is what the interior of the cartridge holder looks like. Let me know what you think.

Alex

gL17.jpg
    gL18.jpg
    gL19.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I think this looks awsome.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice, a bit muddy, but then I have no idea how big your texture-resolution is. But is it really necesary to use any texture at all for the insides? Have you checked if you'll ever see that area ingame?
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    yes, this gun looks awesome!:
  • Volkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Volkov polycounter lvl 18
    I like the amount of work that went into it overall, looks cool. What res is the unwrap btw?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    fantastic! well done!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thank you all for the help and compliments. The texture res is 512x512 Volkov. I think that's what you meant by "What res is the unwrap btw?". Here is the texture layout.

gl_skin.jpg