Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Todays Quick model, (my housemate)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
Did this today , trying to get things real quick , its no where near perfect , but nice to have some good res photos to work from ..

finphil5.jpg

the reference ...

ref1.jpg

I definately need to get better at hair ..

the model was finnshed in an hour , the texture took another 3-4 hours , then i spent a couple of hours fiddling with the hair ...

what to do tomorow ... smile.gif

Replies

• JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool, but I'm not a big fan of photosourcing. I don't like it at all actualy smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well , wotever floats ya boat .. just wanted to try photos , any parts i could improve on?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think for what you are trying to do (quick models), photos work perfectly. Especially if you are practicing modeling and not textures wink.gif

Anyway, looks pretty good to my low-skilled eye. The only thing I noticed is he has a scowl(sp?) in the photos, but you didn't model one on his face. I think it's making the skin look a little off because of that. There's also some stretching on the upper part of his ear. It may actually be a little too big also.
    If I wanted to get nit picky, his nose is also a little longer near the bottom than your model's nose.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God your right about the nose ... i cant belive i didnt see that .. the scoul i did model in originaly , then flattened it out a little coz it looked odd ... i guess wot im trying to do is quick complete models , so im less attached to me work ... its somthing they teach u in drawing .. (especialy life drawing) so im trying to keep the same attitude to my digital work ...
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    dude why is your roomate so pissed?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm curious as to why his ears are so distorted on the uv map... and where you've hacked up the source images is fairly evident on the sides of the cheeks. still, not bad for a quick model smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He always looks like that smile.gif

yes there is many a place i could improve , this is my first attempt at doing a photo sourced model , and speed was the idea , i used a spherical map rather than cylindrical like most do, this helps spread the face out , but the ears are massive for some reason , and the nose tiny .. is there a better way? if i used cylindrical , the sides of the nose have virtually no uv space ... what do i do ? relax uvs ?
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    I like it! I've never used photo sourcing before myself quite neat, relax would work bud