Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Test

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
Art test I did for Castaway Entertainment. I didn't get the job but I have to say that the people I dealt with there are hands down the nicest people I have ever dealt with when applying for a position at a game company. They even took the time to give me a personal critique on my submission.

Front_-_Three-quarter.jpg

Wire02.jpg

I actually intend to go back and vertex paint in the path to get a higer resolution on the terrain and I want to re-do the gargoyle as well.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wait wait.. you didn't get the job? This is a damn fine piece of work here. Perhaps it was off from what they asked for? I think it looks pretty fricken cool. The wire shot you posted offers enough to even learn off of.

They give you a reason as to why you didn't get it? And what was their critique?
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work.
    those circles of grass look a bit weird bit otherwise its sweet.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i've told you before, i think it looks great, i'd like to see a whole level done like this
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    i've told you before, i think it looks great, i'd like to see a whole level done like this

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one extremely similar to this in Fable. Looks good, duder. smile.gif
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Atmospheric stuff..I second the request for the crits you got, though: I'm real curious about what they told you.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    it totally r0x0rz my b0x0rz. can't imagine what they would want that you didn't do
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, y'all.

The test was:

[ QUOTE ]

-A small piece of ruined architecture in some environment that shows some organic objects
    -Low to mid range poly count - it is hard to give a precise number but something in the range of 2500 - 3500 polys for the main structure, and the overall coming in around 5000 – 7000 polys

[/ QUOTE ]

Their critique was
    [ QUOTE ]
    In regards to the Background Test, it certainly had elements we liked. You achieved a nice creepy atmosphere. The lighting helped create that effect. You used pretty clean geometry and the stained glass window worked in some color elements. I would suggest finding other reasons or ways to work in color. You also have sharp edges at the ground lines where headstones and crypt meet the ground, if you can hide those with grass or built up dirt it would make them seem more like par of the scene. Right now they seem to rest on top of the scenery. Also the grass billboards were a good idea but they should not grow straight from the surface. They act just a bit too much like surface normals. You did make a nice path texture and you texture usage is largely very good

[/ QUOTE ]

(I hope it's ok that I shared this info here ooo.gif )

They also said that their decision was not based solely on the backgrouund test that they also took other things into consideration. So my inexperience with Maya could have come into play here.

Anyhow, they were very nice to deal with and I feel that it was very good of them to give me a critique on my submission rather than just sending me a form rejection letter. Based on the feedback I've recieved from them and the feedback I've recieved from those around me (present company included) I feel pretty good about it. This is probably the best I've ever felt about not getting a job smile.gif

oh, I also meant to post the image that was my inspiration of the piece but I don't have it here with me at work. I'll try and remember to post it from home later.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    That's some very nice work Astro. I wouldn't beat yourself for not getting the gig.

Based on the wire it looks like you have good control and understanding of Maya. I'm assuming inexperience in a professional capacity?

At the studio I used to work at we bounced between both Maya and Max. Definitely frustrating at times but I got the added benefit of getting good at both. Really helps when looking for a job having to take tests knowing you can jump right into it regardless of which program they want you to use.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, I wasn't exactly clear. Castaway is a Maya studio, however I used 3ds Max to create that scene. They didn't seem terribly concerened about my lack of experience using Maya when I interviewed with them, but I would think that an applicant that was more skilled in Maya and had an art test on par with what I did, would have a slight advantage.

In any case I do intend to spend some time brushing up on my Maya skills. Definitely can't hurt to be more proficient in that package.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm glad they didn't kick you in the balls over this submission and were really helpful towards you. It shows they know a good artist when they see one as I'm sure they wouldn't of wasted their time critiquing an absolute crappy submission.