Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lord of the Rings stuff (spoilers?)

SouL
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SouL polycounter lvl 18
berserkers.jpg

The torch to the right is not mine. I would have replaced it with a sword... but I couldn't find the original file that contained the pose.

king.jpg

Those are the only parts of the model I actually like.
There's a bit of a story behind this model and why I chose to only show what's above. But I really don't think it's something I should tell everyone about.

troll.jpg

I'm not sure who built the helmet... 'cause I didn't. It just ended up in the master file somehow. Hahaha

The troll and theoden both have their hi-resolution textures on. The berserker has his in-game textures.

I did a bunch of other things, but I think it'll ruin the game if I post them.

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Great work, really tight control of strengths on troll skin, helps make it look very dry and sandpaper brittle which is a nice change from shiny oily flesh tones which are so commonly relied upon.

Love the king's face, you've captured his determined grimace.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Great work Soul. Any chance of seeing the flats?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    God... yet another amazing set of characters.

/me saves to his inspiration folder.
  • RoachMXF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoachMXF polycounter lvl 18
    thats awesome I love how close that resembles Theodin
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "There's a bit of a story behind this model and why I chose to only show what's above. But I really don't think it's something I should tell everyone about."

Well how about bloody finishing it yourself sometime then instead of poncing about doing nothing at work all day??!!! smile.gif

Love it mate. Great stuff. My only niggling complaint is that it all feels a tiny bit 'too' dry and lacking any ( even subtle ) hi-lights. ( it might just all feel that way 'cos you've done your fetish thang of turning off any kind of filtering ) But I assume that was probably an AD call. I dont think its to its detrement. Personal preference I guess. Great likeness on the King. Glad you didnt stick with the blue face ;-p

"Great work Soul. Any chance of seeing the flats? "

Er, you'd know not to do that right SouL? ;-)
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    So what were the hi-resolution textures used for then? Were they swapped in for cutscenes, stills, etc?

Looks very nice there, too. Looks just like the actor.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    dude that is fucking awesome... no other way to describe it. I love it.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks smile.gif

Hey! I caught you walking across the street with that chick today. Clearly I'm not the only one with free time on their hands... smile.gif
    Hahahaha
    Man... I almost forgot about that blue face texture. It made him look he'd been left out in the cold for too long.

Posting the flats is a no-no! It's EA's property and not mine. I don't think I'm even allowed to reveal what the technical stats are for the assets.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Ah didn't know about the flats Soul. Sorry for asking. Thanks for showing what you did. Definitely inspirational material.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    My god truely great work! The likeness is surreal! How am I ever gonna get a job lol!

Do these characters get any kind of shaders or effects applied to their meshes?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, great stuff Soul. You are just piling on the works lately. Might need to repost them all in one giant thread. I think some of us may have missed a few (there's just too many).
  • El_PIG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    So awesome! Damn!!!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty darn impressive stuff, you've certainly improved with your texturing by the bucket load since not so long ago.
    It looks to me that the whole non-filtered style has made a very dry appearence to the textures and some features do appear overly sharp.

Great stuff wink.gif
  • Jeff Gran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, awesome work. That is definitely Theoden. It looks exactly like him. The troll's texture is great too, like rorshach says it looks dry and rough, just like it should.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wow. theoden is spot-on. great, great work.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Well I'll just jump on a fanboy bandwagon, yeah the stuff is pretty great looking. I'm really loving the Uruk-hai Berzerker, looking nice and gritty. Though Theodons face is a masterpeice, even though I don't remember the wrinkles under his eyes being that big...
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Those look great, very inspiring.

Uruk Hai looks good, I really like how you captured the brutality, but I think the texture looks a bit muddy and it’s kind of hard to tell what’s going on. Not sure if this is due to it being an in game texture and the lack of filtering but I think it needs a focal point to capture the eye. At the moment mine keep sliding off.
    I really love Theoden’s face it’s amazing. However I feel his armor especially the gold parts are a bit bland, it looks more like yellow cloth stitched on.
    The troll looks sweet, loving that gritty feel, those toe nails rock!
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Flantastic Job soul. You're really good at getting the people looking like their supposed to. King Theoden is right on.
    And that trolls face without helmet is pretty darn tootin.

smile.gif
  • bmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmer polycounter lvl 18
    Im surprise that EA give you permition to show all those model...
    I mean if they dont take care, they gonna lose you prety soon, cuz somebody will make you an offer that you wont be able to refuse smile.gif hehe!

Im realy impress by the incress of quality in you work over the last years.

Keep going dude those are juste amazing

-bmer
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I love these guys, very well executed works.

A few questions, the hands of the first guy are those planes for fingers i see?
    The same goes for the big guy at the bottom, are those planes for his armor plates?
    Lastly whats the basic polycounts of the guys?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Cool shit man, I picked up LOTR the third age today in our company store with the EA discount, no time to play it right now but I can't wait for some turn based Sarrowmon action, I wasn't down with the active battle system in the last final fantasy. Yo man, what is the deal with posting your stuff on the boards I asked my manager if I could post some stuff from the first DefJam game and I had to sign all these forms and submit them to lawyers and I was not allowed to show wire frames and quite a lot of other rules, I'd like to post some stuff from my current game once it ships but I'm not sure if it's legal or not, any advice?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Don't let them know? smile.gif

I honestly don't know how any of that legal bs works. I simply try to post what everyone else will see... either in print or in the game itself.
    As far as what I've posted... the Berserker and Troll stuff are poses you'd see in the strategy guide. Theoden is a bit of an exception in that he chopped off the rest of the body.
    I have been told that as a general rule, texture maps and wireframes aren't allowed to be posted. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that you're showing something outside of what was meant to be shown in-game? I have no idea...

But as long as the game is out in the hands of consumers... all the NDA restrictions should be lifted.

Which EA are you at?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff Soul! It's very nice to see some of your work that isn't the normal pretty boy characters that you seem to do so often. Keep running with the grittier pieces, as they look fantastic.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Great models, but why have you turned off texture filtering?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Soul, EA Canada I work for the "games" team here, not EA Sports although we are in the same studio.