Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ENVIRONMENT: Sludge (Sewer Prison)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HellMark polycounter lvl 18
Hey all,

I've been a long time reader and love seeing all the great stuff posted on these boards. I thought it was time to post to say hi and show some art I've been working on recently. I created the textures in Photoshop, used Maya to build the level and then imported and lit it in UT2K4. I'm pretty happy with the progress thus far but feel it's lacking density to it. Everyone has always given great feedback here so I'm hoping to get any feedback I can. The level is not really designed to be DM or anything. It's mainly built as a portolio piece as I'm looking for work sine my lovely employer canned 99% of the staff right after launch. confused.gif Here are a few WIP shots:

sludge_alt_chamber.jpg

sludge_main_chamber.jpg

sludge_hallway_storage_alt2.jpg

Thanks all.

Mark "HellMark" Damico
3D Artist
www.markdamico.com

Replies

• Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of the Sewers/Temple Sewers from Act 2 of Diablo 2, looking cool so far. It could use some skeleton, dropped gear, and floating plank static meshes too smile.gif
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good so far. Has a nice atmosphere.
    The stripes and patterns on the wall look a little too decorative and upbeat for a "sewer prison" to me ... they make it look more like a cultural temple or something. I reckon it needs some objects or slightly different textures in to make it look more like a prison.
    Good work though!
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    It needs walkways from one side to the other...prison guards and other people walking the prisoners in aren't going to want to wade in sludge to get their prisoner to a cell...
  • KMan
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed with Illusions about it looking like a prison. I also don't see any holding areas to stick prosoners in either. Looks pretty cool regardless.

Those grates in the ceilings could use some lighting effects, as if some light was passing from above to reach down there. Would give some functionality to it as all the smoke from the torches would have to go somewhere.
  • HellMark
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the input everyone. There are a few sections of the level I haven't shown yet such as hallways leading to prison rooms. I was hoping to get feedback on these specific areas first. I'll be sure to include screenshots of the other areas in my next update which I'm currently working on.

I definitely think the trim is going bye bye cause it does look too decorative. I've heard that comment a few times from friends I've shown this to.

Kman, I like your idea for the ceiling grate though the depth is faked so showing too much light might give it away. Going to play with that a bit. I like the idea of functionality to the level. I'd like to have a balance between function and fantasy while not getting too ultra realistic with this particular level.

I also liked the idea of gear and floating plank Illusions. I think exploring those areas can help give the density I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the input fellas.