Home Technical Talk

Normal Mapped Radial Anisotropy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
I think I've got it to work...but does anyone know where I can temporarily host a .avi or a .mov for downloading so I can get some feedback or input on it? Still images just don't quite capture it...

I'm wondering how useful this stupid thing is anyway...it seems to be a novelty texture right now... smile.gif ...anyway a tutorial on how to make it will follow if anyone feels this is useful...

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I can host it for you. If it's under 2 megs, email it to me at james@jhaywood.com.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the offer FatAssasin, I had an idea while driving to school today though to turn it into an animated .gif file, so when I got home from work I found out I could make animated .gif's in Adobe ImageReady (woohoo finally a use for this program), and when I was done it was under Photobucket's file size limit, so...I have it hosted at my photobucket now:

radialani_v1.gif

Version 1 of Normal Mapped radial Anisotropy...I'll probably be working on this in my time between work, school, the elemental challenge, and a social life. V2 will also be on the way sometime in the future, along with a tutorial on how to make this when I get the method perfected, right now to me its ok, but subpar, as the lighting on it does not reflect where the lights actually are in the environment...

suggestions and critiques of how it looks compared to the real world phenomenon are highly appreciated, as I see it normal mapping has the potential to go beyond the apparent Highpoly character detail on a low polygon mesh...we just need to find them...

For comparison, this is what I mean by radial anisotropy:

atm_tester_parts_knob.jpg