Home Technical Talk

Polycount Awards?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I know awhile back Harl use to do the QBranch awards. Was thinking it'd be cool/fun to do a Polycount award, and do it annually. "Model of the Year", "Most Improved", "Best Character", etc would be some of the awards. The community would vote and I guess the winner could get the award they won as their title, or something (special avatar? I dunno.)

Anyway, just an idea. poly112.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Awards could be a fun idea. There's a downside to awards, it can be a community ass kissing fest. Seems like a lot of communities hit that point where they say "Hey, we're a community! lets have awards, now we can smooze all over each other!" Becomes a bit meaningless after a while.
    Nevertheless, I'd be all for it if it only happened maybe once a year.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, once a year would be enough. "And the winner of Best Character for 2004 is..." sounds right.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I really like the idea. Might be interesting to incorporate a contest into this somehow.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Coolest avatar and sig would be nice too guys. smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah definitly - although right now I don't think we're able to post with images in our signatures.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, You'll find that pretty many Polycounters like the work being pimped here, based on how good it actually is.. O_O
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe there could be awards given by mods to people who have helped the community.
    But those what Per128 calls win-by-vote contests get really out of hand and some people propably go as far as to create multiple accounts to vote for themselves.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, finally got my PC back to myself so I can sign up on dah new boards smile.gif

OK, just a warning if anyone wants to undertake this. You will need a *butload of time to run it. Really, an astronomical amount if you do it by email. It's hard work.

There may be other ways to arange it, like some sort of Automatic Poll, but I never got around to working that out before I got to damn tired of doing it to do it any more. If I had more time I'd probably happily do it again, but like I said, it takes a butload, and I don't have enough.

Other than that, I think it's a great idea, as long as I don't have to compile the votes wink.gif
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    With something like the Quake 3 awards that used to be given, I can see it working.. because there is a level playing field and direct comparrisons for everyones work to be judged by. (ie the in game work)
    A more general award/pat on the back thing would imo cause arguments and spark off the flames about clique's etc.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    you zanny brit, theres 2 t's in Buttload!

besides i would just win everything and you all would have to go home and cry
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    probably be a better bet to have people submit a model they like, and have a handful of people decide which gets what award.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd be up for tallying the votes - I think Harl's vote counting was so high because he did his awards through more communities than just Polycount (or am I wrong?). I think if we keep it PC only the votes won't be terribly high.

So yah, I don't mind tallying them. I wanted to do it through catagories - much like you'd see on an award show or something. And since its getting closer to the end of the year it could be done as, "The 2004 Polycount Awards" or something.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    my inital thought on this is that i have no idea where i would get the time to do this at the moment.

I'm like harl in that i dont have a ton of time. and i echo his knowledge in that this sort of thing takes up alot of time. right now, we're dealing with the new and old boards situation. plus setting up the new hosting situation. and then at the same time the new tech for the recoding of the site. it may not look it, but we have a few things going on already. i just dont know how i would be able to do this properly and in a timely way. and i appreciate your offer for help, but if the polycount name is going to be stamped on the awards, i'd feel pretty strongly about having myself being involved properly.

but i'm not saying no... what i would need to see is a plan. a set of rules and catagories and time frames and what not of how it would work and what would be expected and in what order...etc etc.. a plan. with that, we can look at this logically and decide if this is a good idea or time for this or not.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    although the qbranch awards were cool, i think something official like the 'polycount awards' is the same exact thing as rating posts. Its a cool feature to let you know who and what is badass, but spend some time around these boards and im sure that you can figure that out.

I dont think its really a *bad* idea, i just dont think that it would do much to benefit the community. I think other board 'activities' or events would benefit the community, such as exercises, and more regular and ongoing SDK threads like the days of old. This requirers everyone though, while the competiton for awards is more of a personal thing.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wtf. Don't dredge up old threads unless you have something substantial to add. Witticism is not it.
This discussion has been closed.