Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crazy Toy Maker's Attic [UE4]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
tarting a new project to hopefully try and finish over the next couple months. Just got a blockout so far, had a few troubles trying to get the proportions right on this and I'm not sure I've entirely succeeded yet, if you see anything really obviously wrong please point it out. I can't seem to get the right side beam to fit like the concept so its probably just going to be left like it is. 

I used this concept piece: Shawn Lee - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LP2mP

Skeleton, skull, globe and anvil aren't mine, just some models I downloaded to speed up blocking. I still need to work out the gear system on the right above the window, that should be blocked out soon. 

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update: 

Any crit would be highly appreciated :)
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Good start so far, I made an image to show some of the suggested changes.

Firstly I think you should move the blackboard up slightly. I also think the stand that the anvil is sitting on should be talled and thinner. The part of the metal girders that stick out should stick out slightly less, the globe should be smaller and there should be a longer stand portion leading up to the globe. The books on the desk are also currently a little bit too large and I feel the metal locker things should be thinner and with that new extra room you will have you could scale the shelves slightly to make them a bit wider.
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    Building off what RobeOmega said a lot of these objects can be googled for height information, just to ensure the correct sizes and proportions. Just a quick at the scene anvils are generally put at a specific height, as well as a few size variations depending on the work done. It always helps to but a human model in for scale throughout the scene (which I think you did with the skeleton), same with steal beams, and average desk heights. 
  • AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlirezaMorgan polycounter lvl 6
    The Concept Looks awesome man and you've been doing an awesome job blocking it
    looking forward to see what you'll do with this piece
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, I did use some real world sizes for scale, just a bit tricky matching the concept to real objects, think I've got it pretty close now. 
    Its been a while since I've done any full games assets so I started off with a simple one to ease back in. 

model

I did all these renders then realised I forgot to add the bolts to the interior arms. Finished ones are below. 

Newest renders:
    Still needs some tweaking, but pretty much done, any crit is welcomed :) 

I managed to get photo wood alphas working nicely for once, so I think I'll be using them more often. The wood is a really nice set of images I found on cgtextures, with an ndo generated normal and roughness done in substance. 
    The concept art has 2 bolts holding the wood pieces on but I thought it looked cooler with only 1, with more it made the prop a bit cluttered with bolts. 
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    Now that's a good looking seat
  • candice_fonville
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    candice_fonville polycounter lvl 5
    @Doxturtle Love how this is turning out! Seems like a great self-contained space to get some sweet lighting and nice storytelling. My only small critique depending on how efficient you want to be is that details like the bolts on the stool could probably just be baked in the normal map since they will be so far away from the camera (At least in the engine). Also, the camera in the concept looks like it is angled a bit further down to show more of the top face of the desk. 

Can wait to see more progress, thanks! 
    Candice F.