Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2018 Problem with preferences to display Normal map correct way!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MnemenT polycounter lvl 6
Hello! I have a good preferences in 3ds max 2015. And have good result in viewport (pic 1). But with the SAME settings in 3ds Max 2019; 2018; 2017 I see only red mesh (pic 2). I use Windows 7x64; i5 3570K; GeForce GTX 660; Updated video Driver (398.11);
Please help me to find the mistake. Why NM doesn't displayed?
2015 & 2017 Preferences
:

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Have you got 'shade selected objects' enabled? This will shade the selected objects in a semi-transparent red. Max now has a 'per-view' dialogue. This is where the option is located. It's at the bottom of the Default Shading dropdown.
  • MnemenT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you got 'shade selected objects' enabled? This will shade the selected objects in a semi-transparent red. Max now has a 'per-view' dialogue. This is where the option is located. It's at the bottom of the Default Shading dropdown.
    Thank you for reply, but you talk about "Nitrous Driver". I want to use "Legacy Direct3D" driver, like in 2015 to see NM using DirectX Shading, like it will appear in another applications.
    I understood that I need to use special "DirectX Shader" Material. But I don't know how to configure it, to get the result (shading) like in Marmoset for example, and see my NM with default simple (grey, glossy) material, like in 3ds max 2015
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I missed that you were using DX9, but Nitrous is DirectX. Normal maps display fine. Use a physical material.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Not to be an ass, but have you tried hitting F3 (Wireframe override)?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren said:
    That was way too Occam's razor for me. ;)
  • MnemenT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren said:
    It would be funny, to get a solution just by wireframe view. But Wireframe looks this way:
    (after hitting F3). To figure out what's the problem, I had installed 2 more different versions of 3ds max (2018; 2019). And It was after tried F3))
    Sorry, I missed that you were using DX9, but Nitrous is DirectX. Normal maps display fine. Use a physical material.
    I'm learning NM issues. I have been said to work using "Legacy Direct3D" driver to see NM mistakes (seams) like they woud be seen in Substance Painter, and after texturing in game engine. I have a lot of questions how to work flowless with NM, using 3ds max, Substance Painter and xNormal. I know about different Tangent Basises. But now 3ds max have a lot of preferences such as Normal Bump Mode (3ds max; Maya; DirectX) and ShaderFX as a part of "DirectX Shader" Material. I'm almost sure it's possible to configure the viewport of 3ds Max to match the Substance Painter viewport. I hope It let me to see NM seams and gradient in 3ds max. So I can to fix mistakes as soon as I've seen it in 3ds Max. It will save time, if you don't need to save mesh as fbx, reopen it in Substance painter, find shading problem places, correct UV in  3ds Max, export AGAIN to Substance Painter, to make sure NM is displayed right way. Are you sure Nitrous driver of 3ds Max display NM the same way as Substance Painter viewport? I mean if i see seams in 3ds max, I will see it in Substance painter. And if there is no displayed seams in 3ds Max with Nitrous driver, Substance painter will not show any seams of NM too?