Home Technical Talk

rigging in maya coming from max

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
atreyuroboto polycounter lvl 8
I bought a rig from turbo squid , hoping it would be like biped(3dsmax), its pretty close but ...

is there a tutorial you could point me to that explains how to get the boxes on the hands to control the wrist? or where the wrist controller is? if they are familiar with this rig setup?

My goal is to get my 3d models moving but I am an complete idiot in getting my head around the maya rigging system.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many styles of rigs in Maya, though many of them rely on the same set of constraints that maya offers. I'm guessing from this image that the boxes are IK and they want you using the joints for FK. So the joints would most likely be your wrist rotation while dragging the boxes around for rough placement. In case you're not familiar, check the channel box while selecting those controls- it's common to include rig functionality there.

It's hard to say from here what edits you could safely make. if you're interested in learning rigging, check out the Cult of Rig, probably the most comprehensive one out there. There's a number of basic ones that are more straight to the point all over youtube as well.

Alternatively, have you tried the built-in HumanIK system? It works great, with an easy setup that doesn't require much technical knowledge. The downside is that it's not very customizable, but it does all the normal stuff just fine so that might not be a problem.