Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning to Create Characters to the Dishonored Art Style- WIP

Douthwaite_Simon
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Douthwaite_Simon polycounter lvl 2
Hi Polycount
I'm a Computer Games Design student, just finished my second year and going into my third and final year after the summer.
In the meantime, I'm learning to create characters to the art style of Dishonored 2. Here's my current WIP so far in Zbrush, before I add the hair. I've been using the image here as a reference to learn from: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xxo3R

Any and all feedback and critiques are appreciated as it will help me learn for my Final Project. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• NinjaSocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    Looks like you're giving it lot of thought :) the first things that jump out at me are the lines on the side of the face, I think you should only keep the one closest to his mouth and you need to adjust it to follow the direction of the chin rather than just straight down. The lips feel like they should be slightly bigger and outward and under the bottom lip you can see that the reference has a bulged look.. Maybe you should load the reference inside zbrush via the texture palette and reduce the opacity of your model. This way you could align your model to the reference and make sure that the major forms and facial planes match to the reference better. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    • You've missed a lot of the big forms, and with something like Dishonored's art work they're still obeying foundational anatomy of the human face.
    • Corners of the mouth should be pushed into the face, not at the same horizontal plane of the mouth
    • The ridges of the philtrum beneath the nose need to be defined.
    • The curvature of the brow is reading all as one plane instead of a transition between a concave to convex form from inside out.
    • The way you define the masseter muscle is too broad.  It only exists in a certain region of the face, and then you get the potential for gauntness based on the absence of that muscle.
    • The  muscles riught beneath the mouth need more curvature and definition.
    • The outer wings of the eyes are not the almond shape most eyes are.  Take care with the literal silhouette of the eyes.  You have them upturned flaring out like an anime asian character.
    • As per the reference, the zygomatic arch needs more definition and the bones surrounding the ocular socket.
    Overall, I don't think you're ready for hair OR pores.  I recommend sticking to working the head on a planar basis, like the Asaro Planar Head, and making sure you have your major to medium forms correct before pushing in towards smaller details.  Even if this is just homework, taking the time to do that will make this a portfolio piece instead of something people can easily see as done for a grade.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man. I can feel where you're heading, but you've jumped way too high in subdivisions too quickly. 

Check out fisher's timelapses. You can see it starts to feel like it fits in the world while 10k~ polys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJpRyOPBUYE
  • Douthwaite_Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Douthwaite_Simon polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've restarted the head, working on the feedback and areas you pointed out. I haven't added any details in yet as I'm trying to just get the shapes and form right first.
    Am I on the right lines, or am I still way off with the forms?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks better.

Mouth needs to curve into the head more.