Home Career & Education

Road to 3D FX Artist

Good day fellow Artists ! 

I'm Jon, a graduate of Bachelor of arts in Digital Filmmaking and also a graduate of Professional Diploma in 3D Animation Production. I'm planning to be a 3D FX Artist one day and I really don't know where to start and definitely need guidance from artists.

From my Diploma course they didn't teach us anything about 3D FX in Maya like nParticles , Fluids etc. We were only taught how to 

MODEL - TEXTURE - RIG - ANIMATE - RENDER. 

Most of the knowledge I know is from self-studying and reading books on Autodesk Maya. I'm aiming to go Film Industry as an FX Artist 

Some people told me to study 3DS MAX and learn Thinking Particles then migrate to Houdini, the problem with that path is I have to start all over again but if it is the best way to become a great 3D FX Artist then it's okay. Because they said 3DS Max is better than Maya when it comes to FX but Maya is a better Modeling software (Yep it depends on the artist' skill) 

Also one artist told me to stick to Maya...

Do I need to "master" Modeling /Texturing/unwrapping/ Rigging/Animating/Rendering before I start learning 3D FX ? Because it's a bit confusing to me really ... one Artist told me just go jump straight to 3D FX in Max but learn the very basic of the previous skill set required I mentioned earlier. But one job hiring that I saw online is that you have to be well versed in the field of (Model - Render) 

Do I also need to know scripting ? 

What software do I need to learn to be 3D FX Artist in the Film Industry ? 

What I know as of right now 

- Maya
- Mudbox
- Photoshop
- After Effects 
- Premier 

Software that I'm currently studying right now 

- Substance Painter 
- Substance Designer
- Zbrush 
- Nuke

Right now I have to work for me to help & provide my family and since I didn't have any experience in 3DFX, I'm currently applying for 3D Artist / Generalist position here in our country for me to earn & earn experience in the 3D Industry. I'm planning to be a 3D FX artist maybe after 2 or 3 years as a 3D Generalist Maybe by that time I've mastered the fundamentals & spent enough time on self-studying on 3D FX and have a Workstation capable on running high end 3D FX. 

If self studying isn't enough ... That I should take on some online classes on CGMA or to classes from Mr.Allan Mckay then I should save some money ... 

There's so much question that I really need answers & I'm really lost ...

I hope you understand...

Thank you very much 

Replies