Home Career & Education

just wanted to know your opinion

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
Helloo people!!! Well, I started this topic because I wanted to know your opinion about my situation.

I am from spain and I want to become a 3D artist. I have been making videogames since I was a teenager and since them I have learnt a lot of skills. First I started as a designer, then I learned  coding and from there I started enjoying tech art. I also leart  riggind and animation thanks to making my own games alone.

Some years ago I started making a non videogame degree at a university here in Spain (mostly because making videogames was just a hobby at that time). And during that time I found What I really wanted to do: 3D art (3d assets for video games more specifically).

The problem was that my mother wanted me to do a master degree. After some talks with her, she lent me one year. From there I started making 3D: First watching arrimus videos and then making tests and training everyday. At January 2018 I decided to create my portfolio (https://www.artstation.com/marcoantoniomeirelescarvalho). I started to love this job but well... A year has passed and my mother started saying some things. Life started to get difficult and, even though she told me everytime I asked that everything was right, it was not. She did not liked What I was doing. And this started to become obvious because of things she was saying from time to time. I was just getting tired, burned and sad.

Suddenly, someone offered me a job... a web designer job. After thinking about it I decided to accept it. I thought to myself "at least she will shut up, I will earn some money and I will still making 3d models at night". Well, the problem is that I went from 12 hours modeling to 2-3 hours everyday. I compare my works each week and I know that I have improved since I started this job but it is not the same.

Sorry for the long post. I know that there is people with a worse situation than mine but I just wanted to know your opinion anyway. One day I will become a 3D artist but I don't know when or how. It is getting difficult for me and I don't know how is this going to end.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Definitely stressful to udnerstand that 12 hours doesn't equal 3 - 4 hours of modeling.

It's good you're pushing to use that time still though.

That being said, looking at your stuff right now, you're honestly in a good grey zone.  It'll be frustrating because there's no clear line about "Am I good enough to get that first game dev job" but you're definitely in the space where I wouldn't question your artistic abilities to get the art done, at least with weapons.  I was in that same space 2014 -2015, where I had games made and game art done, but no one aggressively biting for me to join full-time.  You're not a newb for sure, that's good, but now we're in a weird zone where progress will seem minimal despite the goal not having been reached yet.

I'd encourage you to push into making topically different assets; show off your breadth.

Have you thought about dedicating those available 3-4 hours to a paid game project that'll take you on as a part-time contractor?
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd encourage you to push into making topically different assets; show off your breadth.

Have you thought about dedicating those available 3-4 hours to a paid game project that'll take you on as a part-time contractor?
    Yeap. I have always done that. Creatures, enviroments, rocks, vegetation.... The only thing I don't like to do are things made out of flesh, like characters I wouldn't mind making armors or even cloth, but skin and things like that...). I have also thought about working on a part-time job game project. The problem is that it would be a distance job and my tools are not....official (I don´t have much money).I don´t want to give trouble to anyone so my objective was getting a job inside a studio (well that is something we all want...). Some people offered me a job and, after making a test for them, they wanted a second interview.I answered that anytime they could.... and no answer anymore. 3 weeks passed and nothing. Another one asked for my CV but he didn't say anything since then... :(
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6

Yeap. I have always done that. Creatures, enviroments, rocks, vegetation.... The only thing I don't like to do are things made out of flesh, like characters I wouldn't mind making armors or even cloth, but skin and things like that...). I have also thought about working on a part-time job game project. The problem is that it would be a distance job and my tools are not....official (I don´t have much money).I don´t want to give trouble to anyone so my objective was getting a job inside a studio (well that is something we all want...). Some people offered me a job and, after making a test for them, they wanted a second interview.I answered that anytime they could.... and no answer anymore. 3 weeks passed and nothing. Another one asked for my CV but he didn't say anything since then... :(
    I read that some companies give art test to everyone even if they are not interested, i don't know if it is true because when i applied to some companies around europe some weeks ago for env. artist positions, all the AAA companies replied me back in a time span that goes from 2 days to 2 weeks saying that they chose another candidate with more experience or one that had a style that fit the current production and stuff like that, i didn't receive any art test.

Anyway you should learn to optimize your time when doing cg or learning new stuff, i work a full time job in a factory and after my job i study to enter the university in september and i also keep doing CG currently making assets for the marketplace so...you are not the only one out there unfortunately.

Ah, for the software thing...don't go around saying that you are a member of the Jack Sparrow's crew ( it is bad for your reputation )...if you know what i mean 

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:
    I read that some companies give art test to everyone even if they are not interested, i don't know if it is true because when i applied to some companies around europe some weeks ago for env. artist positions, all the AAA companies replied me back in a time span that goes from 2 days to 2 weeks saying that they chose another candidate with more experience or one that had a style that fit the current production and stuff like that, i didn't receive any art test.

The thing is that I actually did a test for them and they even wanted a second interview. The problem is that they did not say anything more since 3 weeks ago.

Andreicus said:
    Ah, for the software thing...don't go around saying that you are a member of the Jack Sparrow's crew ( it is bad for your reputation )...if you know what i mean 

Yeah I know. The problem is that I am not a student (I am a student but not inside a 3d institution)  and I don´t have money so... if I want to learn I don't have an option.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Well I was able to obtain an edu licence for a 3ds Max copy (2016) via ADSK and I'm currently studying (off and on) for the next 18mths a CG unrelated course of study relevant to my bill paying job at the moment so as far as I know the criteria is for the user to be an enrolled student, that's about it!

Plus likewise as alluded too above much better working towards a potential career path "kosher", it's a small industry after all and word will get around. Now one other thing, introduce complexity alongside content already uploaded to your folio, you've mentioned thoughts of making armour so I'm thinking perhaps further develop that theme with either a armoured fantasy dragon or knight riding the dragon set in an enviro/scene/diorama...etc, etc.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Stay strong man, there are thousands of people going through the same thing. Stick with the 3-4 hours you can manage. Your persistence will pay off. You should sign up for Dinusty's portfolio review, it might help you get your work over the finish line.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crawl said:
    Stay strong man, there are thousands of people going through the same thing. Stick with the 3-4 hours you can manage. Your persistence will pay off. You should sign up for Dinusty's portfolio review, it might help you get your work over the finish line.
    Thanks Crawl!!!! I know What I have to do to improve but I will look into "Dinusty's portfolio review" anyway. Once I have more projects to show I will probably ask his opinion.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!
    Some time ago (when all this started) I decided to start doing warmups everyday. The main objective was not only do some warmup before modeling a real project, but also train my creativity and general skills. Yesterday I compared my first and my latest warmups. I am happy with my improvements but it would be great to know your opinion as well.