Home Career & Education

Need Advice on Finishing School

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
zachagreg ngon master
I have no idea if there have been any recent posts about this and I apologize if there have been. 

So I am in need of some advice at this point because I don't want to rush into decisions and I want to have a clear head when making this decision. The run down is this. I am a senior needing two classes to graduate from university. I am completing my degree of Game Development which I already have read a lot of people's various opinions on in Polycount. So I need these two classes over the summer, however, I also recently got hired at a company for a full-time artist position which I will be starting in early June, the same time these classes start. This is where the issue comes up.

I have already subbed one class for an online course however, one of the courses has no online capability. I have spoken with the university about the possibility of allowing me to take it as either an online, to allow for video conferencing during the class, to use the universities virtual classroom software, all of which have been answered with a "no that's not possible". The university is incredibly strict on attendance due to it's odd class structure and its financial and legal entity as a "non-profit". But I don't want to focus on the other aspects of the university.

So I am in this situation now where basically I can ride out the summer taking one class and working full-time, which I am completely fine with. This doesn't solve the situation with the last class. I don't want to walk into a new position and tell them I need to take two days off each week can you work with me on that. I feel like that is just about the least professional thing to do and is a giant red flag for the employer. The university is treating this as if this is an internship and not a full time position. This leads me to where I need advice, at this point I have no love for the university, they've shown to be incredibly behind the times in terms of the game industry and as I'm sure a lot of you know their standards are incredibly low. 

I believe I will stick it out over the 3 months of summer just to see if new options arise. However my options right now are to stay for the summer and hope the position is open in 3 months to finish my degree or I take the position and if the school can't work with me in some degree I drop it. There is of course grey area in this and I'm not expecting a black or white answer I just need some input from you all. Thank you for listening to me ramble.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    If it's a fulltime position with a games company, then really a no brainer going for it because there's always an option to complete your degree at some point down the track. Well that's my understanding since your Uni is treating this as an internship?
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Did you go to school to get a degree or did you go to school to get a career?
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @crawl I went to school to get a career in all honesty and I feel as though thats why people should go. 
    @sacboi Thats my thoughts as well I just still want to get as many opinions you know? Just trying to round out my view before diving in and yea my uni is acting as if it's an internship I will be kicked back after the summer, but that's not the case at all I'm being placed on a multi-year development team.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Do you have schedule for the last class ?  Is it a full day or just a few hours ? Are studio and university close to each other ?
    Have you ask studio HR or whomever hired you for possible alternatives ? Is part time possible or hour based or work from home ? Do you care for degree at all ?
    Studio guys might even like that you want to complete your education but that will depend on what kind of people they are

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Schedule for the last class would be Mondays and Wednesdays at 2pm-430pm, no alternatives on that for the summer. This would take me away from work for a total of 6 and a half hours because travel time is 2hrs each way as I'm moving for work, closer to 7-8 if we account for traffic during rush hour coming back across states. I haven't asked HR for alternatives honestly because I don't feel its their responsibility to make up for my universities lack of flexibility, which also brings up why I would need to ask for 2 days off each week. Correct me if I'm wrong but even asking for 2 days off a week for 3 months when starting a new job casts doubt for a new employer IMO.

I can say I know I don't need the degree I don't care about the school title or anything of that nature as from the information I've gathered here and other places it rarely matters. The only reason I want it is to get a return on my investment at this point both financially and time.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Only thing I can think of is to leave this course and hope for the best next year , at which point you probably be too busy with work and live to care for degree anyway .What about not attending the course but just taking the last exam/test/project or what ever form of testing it is ?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Job > degree, at least for game dev.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yup, take the job. you will get actual valuable experience. If you plan on working abroad, then a degree will come in handy to get a work visa, but otherwise they dont really mean anything in this industry as long as your art is good. Go for the work experience, it will also help you see if you actually enjoy working in a studio and actually doing art 8 hours a day. better to find out if you love/hate that now rather than push it further down the road just to get a piece of paper. best of luck!