Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Harpy WIP (critiques needed: please help)

eenseyn
null
Offline / Send Message
eenseyn null
Hey, this is my first post here. I'm working on a semi-realistic/slightly stylized model of a harpy. Any and all critques regarding anatomy and topology are needed and appreciated. My workflow (that I'm planning on) is to model all the parts of the base mesh, then export to a sculpting software for the details, extracting and applying maps, then rendering. 

I'm adding images of what I've managed to do so far. Any help/advice is appreciated. 

Edit: Modelled the poly hair. I'm 90 percent sure I'll have to remodel it because of how the root looks from top view, but I'm posting it here for suggestions. It should give an idea of the kind of hair style I'm going for, and any pointers on how I should go about it are appreciated.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Splay her fingers out.  Makes rigging her easier.
  • eenseyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eenseyn null
    @Brian "Panda" Choi

Ah yes, I'll do that. I suppose keeping them straight rather than bent is ok though? 
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @eenseyn It's better to bent them slightly so that you can sculpt a relaxed pose instead of an extreme, makes for a more natural result.
    Her overall proportions are looking ok, she has longer than normal legs but harpies have that I think(?).
    Other than that it seems like you are working without reference for at least some of areas(esp. face,hair)? Depends how rough you want your basemesh to be.
  • eenseyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eenseyn null
    @AgelosAp I'll give them a bit of a bend then. Yes, her legs are a little longer.  Some of it is due to Harpy anatomy, but it also might have a bit to do with how I modelled her. I wasn't really able to find any real life front and side view images that matched really well with the 2d concept art I'm using (which is in perspective view and has a dynamic pose), so I had to estimate most of the proportions and shapes by observation and feel. It's the same with the face and hair, but the hair I'll be making again. 

I want the basemesh to be more or less close to the finished product, at least a far as all the human parts go. With that in mind, am I doing OK? Should I be checking out a lot more real life references? Is the face looking OK?
  • eenseyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eenseyn null
    Made some progress. Splayed out and bent the fingers a bit, tweaked the torso to an extent, and modelled all the armour and clothing pieces. Not planning to rig the model, so I'll manually drag the wings into place during posing. Sculpting and texturing left. 

Comments and criticism greatly needed and appreciated.
  • eenseyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eenseyn null
    viewport screencapture for a look without lighting
  • eenseyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eenseyn null
    Started work on detailing the body.