Home Adobe Substance

Weird reflections

Silen
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Silen polycounter lvl 3
Hello,
I've just made a sword model and unwrapped UVs as normal, the model's perfectly fine in 3ds Max and the UVs also seem fine, the problem is that when I import the mesh into Substance Painter the reflections are "flipped", as in, the blade reflects one side while everything else reflects on the other side. Here are some screenshots so you understand:

This is my UV map in 3ds Max:

How could I fix this? Thanks.

Replies

• Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like you either have flipped normals on one side or you're trying to have a single face for both sides.
  • Silen
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    I don't think that's a single face, I can show you the wireframe.

Edit: Normals don't seem to be flipped, else these selected faces would show up in a darker red, from what I know. It looks the same on both sides.

Wireframe view on the side:

• Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    I don't use 3DS max, so I have no idea what I'm looking at. Try rotating the skybox in substance painter.
  • Silen
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    It's the same when I rotate the skybox sadly, the reflections are still "flipped", I don't even know how to say it. But basically if you don't use 3ds max, when normals are flipped the selected face should show in a much darker red than the screenshot above, so normals should be alright, but I'm not sure.

I never had this problem before and I have a deadline, I've tried many things and yet I can't figure out what it is, which is irritating. :S
  • Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    Try posting your FBX, if you're allowed to do that. I've only ever seen this on flipped normals, so I'm not sure what to tell you here,
  • Silen
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3

It's in .obj format and with quad faces.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    there's nothing mechanically wrong with the model

because the sword is lying on it's side,  the bottom surface is reflecting the ground - which is darker than the sky

• Silen
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    poopipe said:
    there's nothing mechanically wrong with the model

because the sword is lying on it's side,  the bottom surface is reflecting the ground - which is darker than the sky

No no, that's the problem. The bottom surface of the blade reflects the sky, while the bottom of the hilt reflects the ground and viceversa, the top of the blade reflects the ground and the top of the hilt reflects the sky. And I don't get why.

I've worked with other types of blades in Substance Painter before and it always worked properly, I can tell this is some weird effect. Also the fuller of the blade does exactly the contrary, with the top reflecting the sky and the bottom the ground (as the whole blade should do).
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    I dropped your obj into a new painter file, ran bakes and it looked like it worked out fine - I might double check that

Personally,  I'd freeze transforms and export using fbx to see if that sorts it. 

• Silen
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    The problem is that I need it as an .obj and triangulated because of the game engine. :S
  • Silen
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    I've done a reset xform on the blade and solved the issue. Probably I've done some scaling I shouldn't have during the creation process, or something like that. Thank you all for the help.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    you can do both those things with fbx 

I did another quick test when I got home i got the same results as you - just didn't look at the handle properly.

the cause was some borked normals on the blade that weren't immediately apparent from looking at the mesh in the viewport - a turn to poly modifier and fresh smoothing groups would also probably fix the problem