Home Career & Education

Have no idea where to go with my skills.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
jamecz polycounter lvl 3
Ok. I got a pretty good reaction to my work at school. I'm a freshman. I felt good. Here's some of my 3D models in Arnold and Maya.

and a traditional painting

I originally went in with an intent to be a concept artist but after exploring all the other realms of things like gamedev, motion graphics, environment, character, and prop art, I just have no idea where I want to go in the industry. I definitely know that in the end I want to do games and work in games, but how do I find what I like? I feel like I like everything but at the same time have an imposter syndrome where I believe I cant be good if I'm doing everything.

I'm also not sure what to work on with all my time in the summer. My school offers free Gnomon classes but there's just so much to choose from. Do I make a portfolio piece or just work on experiments? Any suggestions? Part of me just wants to try and translate my 2D style into 3D stuff.

I'm interested in hand painted textures and environments at the moment, I like a lot of the lowpoly minimalist stuff I see on sketchfab, but part of me feels that doing lowpoly stuff isn't that beneficial to my skills? and that I should be practicing hard surface and detailed work? I've modeled a van since school got out but I got bored of that real quick once the model was done.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Easy! go with what your gut is telling you, which nine times outta ten usually a good indicator as to where one's focus might be effectively applied.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Keep exploring, there's no need to box yourself in so early in your schooling. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Make a game.  Or help make one.

You learn a lot by shipping a game om a production environment.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    I have been in a similar situation, you have plenty of time, haven't you ? So pick a specialization like 3D Environment art, start following some tutorials or do it for a couple of weeks, maybe make a little project like a very small room with some props that you must model, texture, optimize for game production ( uv and polycount ) and render it, at the end of this 2 weeks ask to yourself "did i enjoy the process ?"

1) Yes---> Then you probably like it but put it aside for the moment and repeat the process with another specialization ( ex. drawing )
    2) No---> Ok, you don't like it so take another specialization, experiment for another 2 weeks and see how it goes

Also start working on the portfolio only when you know what you really want to do or you will end up with a generalist portfolio with 3 drawings, 2 environments, 1 character and nobody wants that.

I started doing 3D art 4 years ago and it took me 6 years to figure out what my passions are so take it easy but not too easy or you will probably end up sitting in front of the tv playing with the ps4, lol.