Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Steampunk Inventors Workshop Diorama

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sinister Exaggerator polycounter lvl 10
Hello, everyone, It's been a very long time since I posted anything on here (not gonna name the excuses) since my last project the abandoned flooded shopping mall was far too ambitious for me to achieve having spent months on it making very little progress I have decided to leave it for now and work on a much smaller project so maybe I'll actually finish it  this time :D

I'm working on a small steampunk styled firelit comfy chair and a book diorama. I'll post more about it in future but for now, I have a few props to show that I'd love to get some feedback on.

Chesterfield Armchair Highpoly

Oil Lamp Asset

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    looking nice for now. However, there are some problems. Those Armchair ´s legs are a bit thin (they look like going to break if someone sits there). Furthermore, the lamp's normals look strange (if you use marmoset try to flip normals). And another thing for the lamp is that the amount of polygons is not evenly distributed. This affects the silhouette (if a polygon does not affect the silhouette you should not include it in the low poly mesh but in the normals):

• Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Nice start but it feels like your assets could all use extra love. The armchair is in severe need of details, and somobody already mentioned the lamp. Don't be afraid to get bit messy in zbrush, look up references and then sculpt off them
    Image result for winchester armchair
    Like here, check how strong these folds are, every piece of leather is under stres, also pillow is pushed out rather than flat.

Keep it up though, it's not bad for beginning of project :)
  • Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so a bit of an update I'm going to be focusing on the chair. I've tried to implement some changes based on the feedback you have provided which has been a great help, Thank you. As Marco mentioned the legs were far too skinny so I've changed the design on the legs so hopefully, they look structurally stable now. However, they are still just in a block out phase I will detail them up when the rest of the chair is done. 

While I was using another reference before which has square cushion without the squeezed in look. I prefer the reference pic Aydhe posted and have edited the cushion to appear more squeezed in as well as thinned out the size a bit. 

I have also begun to add some more crease and crack detail around the buttons to give that leather under stress look. Tried making the crease with the damstandard brush yet  I couldn't get it look very crisp and clear. I then tried out a crease brush I found linked on an old post on here http://www.selwy.com/2009/zbrush-clothes-tutorial/. However, if anyone has any more techniques or knows of some good brushes to use for the leather creasing I'd appreciate it  :).
  • Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a long while since I have posted on here but I've made significant progress on the armchair since I last posted. Since then I have made the low-poly model and baked the high-poly model with xnormal. Added alpha textured planes to add the small stud details in on top. The whole model comes in at about 7000 tris which may be a bit high not really sure for a portfolio prop. Then textured it in substance painter.
    Going to be looking at making the steampunk elements later. 

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    those are a lot of polygons. You probably 50% of them, especially if you are using some normals.
  • siver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siver greentooth
    I agree with MarcoAntonio. If you are aiming a game ready model the polycount should be lower and use more the normal map. Here is an example https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/008/231/392/large/joseph-hobbs-0-1.jpg?1511352714 
    Do you also have a blockout or overall idea what the diorama will look like?
  • Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, thanks for the feedback especially the pic gives me a tri count to aim for I see that the normal map can be used more with a lower poly mesh than I am doing. I'm going to fix it up a bit repost it later with the changes. As for the diorama I have a rough idea of a steampunk sort of living room/ study with the chair near a fireplace I was going to start blocking out the scene when the chair is done hoping to at least upload the chair to my portfolio in the meantime due to my lack of time to be able to work on the project as much as id like. 
  • Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the model after the comments on it being to high poly I have cut down the count a lot over the weekend cutting it down to 3654 tris total. I think it's now ready for me to start re doing the texture.

• Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on this project I'm done with the Armchair, for now, really happy with how it has turned out.  

I've moved onto a hopefully a more steampunk style workbench that I've been playing around designing my own concept for. Also thought it might be interesting to post what the concept of the diorama is. I've gone for this idea of an inventors workshop set in a small basement of a building which combines relaxed living space along with an advanced yet small inventors workshop setup.

Basement Workshop Rough Blockout

Workbench Rough Blockout

Rough Concept

• Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I've posted an update and I finally haves significant progress on this so I figured its time for another.

To begin with I have finished the base low-poly and high-poly model baked in Substance Designer in parts then combined together I feel this has produced a clean normal map I'm happy with. At this stage I've just about begun to texture it in Substance Painter. However I'd appreciate any crit on the model before texturing further. 

Also you may of noticed the front vice is missing I've decided to copy parts from the vice on the side as its ready to be textured to save time and uv space. 

• Sinister Exaggerator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again

Thought id keep the updates rolling a bit more frequent this time. I've textured the Workbench and created some of the small props that will clutter the workbench. I will also be going back and fixing the oil lantern which is way to highpoly (learning alot about polycounts on Polycount :astonished: )

Workbench WIP

Inkwell WIP

Desk Magnifying Glass