Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Artstation Wild West challenge - Totem beast

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ban3bbal000 polycounter lvl 3

Hey everyone,

For the first time, I applied for the artstation challenge in the real-time character category. This is the current progress of my creature based on Conor Burke's awesome concept. I'm trying to make the beast anatomically correct and functioning. I'd be glad if you could tell your opinion and critics about the current state of the project.

Replies

• ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished (?) the main muscle layout and added some big negative tearing for the limbs with boolean. Sadly my computer can't handle the make boolean process so I have to figure out that part. Also blocked out the pelt on the back. Next, I'm going to block out the pelt on the limbs and making alphas (booleans?) for the minor flesh wounds and rotting. I made differences compared to the concept to make the head more believable and functioning.

• ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After losing 4 days of work because of corrupted Zbrush saves I'm back in business baby! But there is good in every bad thing. I managed to fix some problematic areas on my model and reworked the torn flesh parts and I think it came out better. Tomorrow I'm going to block out the pelt on the other parts of the creature like the limbs and start to refine the fleshy areas to seem more natural. I found a ton of gory references:D
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    First of all, this is looking great. What I really want to say is good for you for not giving up after losing all those days of work. I'd personally have a really hard time accepting that. Keep it going!

PS you should drop a link in here to your submission page :)
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly starting to finish the block out and the secondary forms. After some muscle refinement I'm going to retopologize it (If I can :D Already nervous). I think I'm going to approach it the same way as the high poly sculpting (separate bone-muscle-skin layer) after comes to the third reads and the surface details. Any fixes and critiques are appreciated.

Thanks, @crawl . Yeah, I had to eat an extra dinner and take a walk to get back to work :D.  and here is my submission page :) : https://www.artstation.com/contests/wild-west/challenges/43/submissions/30171
  • Isunoj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9

Amazing work! I'm looking forward.

• ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the secondary forms on the guy. I added holes to the pelt and stringy flesh parts. Right now trying to create a reasonable topology before starting the surface detailing. I'm starting to think that I'm not thought through when I choose this concept. Retopologizing it, is like being in hell. :D
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I'm really digging the design and you seem like you're on the right track. Can't wait to see this one completed.
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @Jack M.  I hope I can finish it in time :)
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from retopo hell! I kinda finished retopoing the creature. I can't say this is my most beautiful retopo ever done, but I hope it's going to suit this project well. The final model is pretty heavy around 200k triangles including the 3 layers (bones, flesh, pelt). I tried to model out the small flesh connecting strings in geo. If I have enough time I'm planning to optimize it more. Next, I'm going to reproject the layers in Zbrush and start adding the small details. I hope I can flesh out the detailing in the weekend and start to UV and texture it in the next week, Any critics are welcome but please be kind this was the hardest retopo I ever done :) .
  • ban3bbal000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished the optimization. I managed to lower the tri count around 89K. I hope the remaining 10K is going to be enough for the fur cards and the feathers. Next are the reprojection and the small details.