Home Adobe Substance

[Painter] Baking Issue

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
kaosmos polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys,
I have some experience baking in Painter but I never saw this weird issue on big flat polygons. Check this:

Low poly mesh is ok. The same for the high poly.

I checked the normal map and I found these 4 different color values. 

I have no idea how to fix this. I tried everything. Nothing works. I also baked this model in max and xnormal. Baking with those programs I don´t get this. But I would like to use Painter. The result is much better except for this problem. 
Hope you can help me with this.
Cheers

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What happens if you add an edge loop in the middle of that polygon?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Happened to me before, it's your highpoly surface that didn't perfectly flat. Try what Jerc suggested, add some support loops but for your highpoly mesh.

You can check your highpoly by assign a high gloss material on Max (seems like you're using Max?) and switch the viewport display to Faceted, can you see the differences on that 4 areas as well?
  • kaosmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried, didn´t work. Looks even worst. It´s like for each quad creates 4 panels. As you can see the problem is not in the middle of the polygon. In Painter´s viewport looks ok:

But when I export the texture I get this (marmoset):

Here you can see the new values in Photoshop (red lines are where the values change / white lines are the edges): 

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hmm..you put the support loop on the highpoly and it makes it look even worst? that kinda strange..
    Can you show how the highpoly base looks like with wire (no turbosmooth)?
  • kaosmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the loop I added is in the low poly. This is the highpoly:

• kaosmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´m exporting the high poly mesh collapsed, not with turbosmooth applied. And is perfectly flat.
    I´m getting this issue in all the big flat polys not only in that one.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    There's no use to add loop to the lowpoly, it's just gonna add up to ur final tris budget.
    Can you show the highpoly without subdivided? I wanted to see your loop placement.

I'm thinking to add more loops on here, this is just guessing though cus I'm not sure how you place your control loops.

• kaosmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure.

As I said, if I add one more loop to the low poly the issue is duplicated. That means the high poly is not the problem. In fact I baked the same meshes in other programs and this only happens in Painter. 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If it looks fine in the Painter viewport then it's a matter of tangent basis mismatch of triangulation. Did you triangulate your mesh before exporting in to Painter and the other tools in which you are previewing it?
  • kaosmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I didn´t do that. Should I? I´m exporting from max in fbx format. In the exporting parameters dialog the triangulate option is unchecked. 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you don't triangulate, there is a good chance Painter will triangulate the mesh in a different way than your other apps. It's good practice to always triangulate before exporting to any kind of real-time application to ensure consistency.