Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Issue with not seeing painted mask (Dynamask Full Shaded Mode) in Photoshop

Hello everyone. The issue i'm experiencing is what I paint a mask using Dynamask, whatever I paint stays in Dynamask. I cannot see or edit the mask outside of it. If i create a custom mask in PS (without painting in Dynamask) it works fine. I can still go back and edit it no problem. I like using the Marquee tool to create clean crisp selections for masking purposes. Currently, - (since it's black and i can't see my painted mask ) i'm forced to use the paintbrush in Dynamask if i want to tweak anything. 

Here is a screen recording of what i'm talking about: 

What can i do to edit the Painted mask outside of Dynamask? Gracias!

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Short answer: You can't. DynaMask is how you adjust masks in DDO. You could paint details in PS using a new layer and then transfer that painted detail to DynaMask using the "Paint Mask in Photoshop" option, however. It's a little button directly above Accept Mask that looks like a paintbrush. Paste or paint whatever you desire in there. :)
  • WilliamHickerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much @Synaesthesia for the quick reply!! I'm working on a client project and these issues are urgent. By "transfer" do you mean simply copy paste the custom painted layer that i'm going to use as a mask in PS, then Paste it as a 'Custom Paint Layer' above "Add anything above this layer" ?

Also, Copy Mask to All Layers doesn't seem to be working.... so I have to manually Copy>Paste the mask into each Map (Gloss/Metalness/Normal/Roughness) = Pain in the ass. Is there something preventing Quixel from copying the mask automatically? Here is screen recording: 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You can't edit a mask in Photoshop itself. You need to tell DDO that you're editing the mask. If you don't, any mask changes you make in DynaMask - including copying masks to other layers - will not work. DDO must be aware of the mask changes for it to preserve them, which is why you need to use Paint Mask in Photoshop. My DDO tutorial covers it. Try giving it a read-through! I cover all aspects of DDO in there, including this technique, so you should be able to follow along easily. :)