Home General Discussion

GOD OF WAR (Art, Impressions, Thoughts)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7IX5RTPPA&t=48s

Must be a good time for this guy. He's the director of the game and here is he, reacting to the critical acclaim the game is currently receiving.

Looks like a cool dude and I'm more than happy for him. I still remember watching him tire himself out for the release of GOW 2 in 2007 (there was a CD dedicated to the making of of the game and that when I discovered him)...

Hopefully, the artist that worked on this title are happy with the favorable reviews too!

For those who have the game, what are your impressions?

If I could nitpick a few things personally, my only criticism is the general lighting. I think it sometimes look flat and grayish. I know they're going for a specific tone/grade but I think they could've added some warmness and color here and there.

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Blond... :) Anyways, this was a kind of a developer video I haven't seen yet by developrers, they can be surely proud. gj, I can clearly see evelation or tech and art. It is definitely a step forward from both of the points, and I can only hope , this attitude will be kept and will show in their future production.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    This game is so damn good. Has blown away my expectations in terms of art, fun and sheer scope, and thats coming froma  die hard God of War fan.

The rocks and environment work in this game is off the hook. I really dont know how they are pushing as much detail as they are. There have been a ton of little rediculous things that have made me stop and say "haha really!?" like some ropes having little alpha plane tiny hairs coming off them, barely noticed them but when I did i just laughed in delight. An don't even get me started on Kratos, probably the best character model I have seen in a game.

another awesome thing I noticed is the world feels large without being a massive open world filed with useless time waster activities. While it still seems designers love the number 3 (3 items to collect, 3 things to smash etc) there isn't much repetitive side quest syndrome most open world games suffer from.

I really love how diverse the world is in terms of art, You can go from bleak forests to dark caves and then to lush overgrown ruins in a 20 minute period in ways that feel organic and natural. It keeps the scenery fresh and when you do backtrack, its usually through an alternate route to keep things interesting. smart and refreshing level design. no running huge long distances to collect shit and then having to run back to the quest giver....more and more something I cant stand in games like the witcher and horizon, even if they are really good games.

The puzzles like opening the locked chests are unique enough to not get boring, and some of them are a bit of a brain teaser that you feel rewarded when you figure it out. The best thing is they usually only take about a minute or less to figure out and solve and you feel smart after doing so. its the micro to the overall macro that is echoed in most aspects of the gameplay.

I could go on and on, but I would rather just get back to playing the game ;) tl;dr - they took 5 years to make this game, and it shows. one of the most polished experiences I have played in a long time. pretty much a must buy if you own a ps4 and are into amazing game art.
  • Ashervisalis
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @PixelMasher Damn man you've really sold me on the game. I'm kind of hoping they come out with PS4 versions of the first few so I can play the series in order.
  • bounchfx
    It's the most beautiful game I've ever played. Incredible environments, great color palettes, the entire thing looks like a god damn CG movie. Gameplay is fun, tons of customization, progression, and upgrades. It borrows (in a good way) from more modern titles and incorporates the mechanics in a way that feels natural and purposeful.
    The Story is fairly interesting and is keeping me engaged, which is a big deal for me considering I ignore 99% of game stories as they are just either uninteresting with boring characters or overcomplicated masturbatory plots. Though to be honest, most of my attention is kept specifically because of how strong/interesting the characters are. The writing has also been quite fun (especially those two characters in particular) with great attention to animation and interactivity/callbacks. It really is just one of the best crafted games I've played, and as a huge fan of the first 3 GoW games I'm stoked to see where they go from here, I'm so glad they didn't butcher it. Only about halfway through but I imagine the second half is at least as strong as the first.

Oh and I must give a big +1 to the sidequests actually feeling meaningful and worth doing instead of the ubi-fun busywork that usually gets appended to games like this. 

honestly it's worth playing the the fucking graphics alone, just put it on easy mode and mash your way through. But the gameplay is challenging and fun, and has way more depth than I expected as far as having a huge variety of ways to approach combat, and the moveset you have available.

I'm gushing right now but really they did SO much right and between this and BOTW I hope it gives more companies the confidence to try and reinvent tired game sequels in a fresh new way.

Yeah I'm looking at you, Pokemon.

fuck
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    bounchfx said:
    I'm gushing right now but really they did SO much right and between this and BOTW I hope it gives more companies the confidence to try and reinvent tired game sequels in a fresh new way.

Yeah I'm looking at you, Pokemon.

fuck
    You don't think Pokemon go is a fresh new look at Pokemon? weird.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @sprunghunt
    it might not be new enough.  They could stand to have a different tone.
  • Nihilus
    Offline / Send Message
    Nihilus polycounter lvl 8
    Its slowly swaying me towards buying a PS4.... however from everything ive seen the combat system looks incredibly.... I think clunky/frustrating might be the word. It seems a lot of games are going for this tight camera, more "single enemy" focused combat....and then throwing several enemies at you. 

Personally to me it looks like itd benefire from a much wider angle camera and for it to be slightly more fluid.

That being said ive not actually played it yet so I may be totally wrong.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    This game definitely pushes the bar for triple A game quality, but I'm wondering if the  expectation that's now set for gamers far exceeds what game developers, us, know what is reasonable.

It's to say this:

Gamers and critics have been exclaiming the following:
    "Single players games are not dead.  Look they still sell!"

But this game took 5 years to make.

This is the only GoW possibly going to exist for  this generation of consoles.

This is the only game Sony Santa Monica have completed for this generation of consoles.

I have a suspicion gamers are overestimating how repeatable this success is.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9

Gamers and critics have been exclaiming the following:
    "Single players games are not dead.  Look they still sell!"

But this game took 5 years to make.
    This is the only GoW possibly going to exist for  this generation of consoles.
    This is the only game Sony Santa Monica have completed for this generation of consoles.
    I have a suspicion gamers are overestimating how repeatable this success is.

''
    ''But this game took 5 years to make.''
    5 years might means a lot of thing.
    You know in triple A productions, whether it is movies or games, the longest and most challenging part is to recreate everything from scratch when working on a new IP.

While this is still a ""GOW"" game,it's pretty much like a new IP since it's so so different from the past games.

It certainly didn't take 5 years to create all the assets/animations, visuals of the game.

5 years were certainly for:

-Building a new engine from scratch for the PS4
    -Re-inventing the game play, game mechanics, R and D on the game design.
    -Research and documentation on a new settings, exploring and discovering Norse mythology and lore
    -Writing characters, overall plot for the 3 games (it's confirmed to be a trilogy), general theme and story branching
    -Huge phase of pre-production for the art direction (color pattern, characters, enemy design, environment look, feel and tone
    -Production phase where they create all of the assets, animations...

Creating the first game of a ''new'' series is usually more challenging and more costly since everything has to be designed from scratch.
    Subsequent games and follows-up take less years since they generally re-use assets, have the engine already laid down and mastered, they already know the direction of the overall feel of game play and art...they really just iterate and ''update'' on what they already have ...
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Blond said:
    ... certainly didn't take 5 years to create all the assets/animations, visuals of the game....
    But it did take take 5 years of polish iteration and rework which still has a time and money cost to achieve the level of polish on display.
    Initial RnD from a tech standpoint to get everything up and running (usable but not feature complete) can happen very fast and the art teams probably started at roughly the same time as tech teams did.
    Maybe not 5 years in the want a sequel but if they intend it to have the same level of impact in terms of gameplay and visuals it would probably still be 3-4.

As for the game itself holy shit. The lighting is amazing, I stick Kratos in a dark corner turn the camera to look outward and the tone mapping doesnt get weird, there are no weird rim light issues... I have never seen a game do that before I think. Its a small thing but it really stuck out at me when I noticed it,
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    5 years of development on a game that is playable for years to come with well released DLC's that are of equal value and quality, then it is well worth the longer delays. I mean, seriously, how many people are still playing GTA and buying Shark cards?

• Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8

Blond said:
    5 years were certainly for:

-Building a new engine from scratch for the PS4
    -Re-inventing the game play, game mechanics, R and D on the game design.
    -Research and documentation on a new settings, exploring and discovering Norse mythology and lore
    -Writing characters, overall plot for the 3 games (it's confirmed to be a trilogy), general theme and story branching
    -Huge phase of pre-production for the art direction (color pattern, characters, enemy design, environment look, feel and tone
    -Production phase where they create all of the assets, animations...
    *Mic Drop*

On a serious note I'm glad ya'll like the game, specifically the level of detail us environment guys were able to put in. 

It was fun as hell to work on
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Top notch stuff, really, gameplay, art, story,etc. Well done Santa Monica!

If I had to pick something it would be for the sharpening of details, especially on characters that make all the high frequencies pop a bit too much for my taste.
    Also, is it just me, or does the skin lacks scattering and SSS?
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    joebount said:
    Top notch stuff, really, gameplay, art, story,etc. Well done Santa Monica!

If I had to pick something it would be for the sharpening of details, especially on characters that make all the high frequencies pop a bit too much for my taste.
    Also, is it just me, or does the skin lacks scattering and SSS?

It does lack some redness  here and there on the skin. Like I said, I like everything about the game except the lighting technology that was used. That's mos likely an engine limitation rather than an artistic choice. We were too spoiled with Uncharted 4 . We had colors bouncing and  popping everywhere in that game.

Despite the magnificent scenery and incredibly detailed character/asset models, they games looks painfully ''artifical'' and cold at times. 

GOW 3 also had a dark/chaotic setting but it did give more warmth. 
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    I think kratos not having sss makes sense, seeing as his skin is covered in the ash of his dead family and would be way more matte XD The thing for me that was done really well is how alive his eyes look, especially in closeups.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Well I'm just going to echo what has already been said, the game is incredible - I hate to sound like a fan "BOY" but I wish it could receive more than a 10/10 :hushed:

The character work and art in general is fantastic! Also saw that vid of Cory and it's awesome to see what the guy has achieved after he put his heart and soul into it. Well deserved congrats to all involved

(....and of course the legendary Raf Grassetti)

• lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    My only complaint is how tiny the text in the UI is. I don't want to get off the couch and walk closer to the TV every time there is a new tool tip. I effectively have no idea have no idea what I am looting most of the time and just try every button when they tell me to press a specific button.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix said:
    My only complaint is how tiny the text in the UI is. I don't want to get off the couch and walk closer to the TV every time there is a new tool tip. I effectively have no idea have no idea what I am looting most of the time and just try every button when they tell me to press a specific button.
    i think being able to adjust the text size was in one of the latest patches, there should be an option for it somewhere.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder how much the text size problem was affected by the range of resolutions the game needed to render at.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    oh also, just got the God of War art book, and it is straight fire. this flipthrough sold me on it as soon as i saw it. Also went for the digital version, as its cheaper and much easier to pull reference from if I wanna do a fan art scene. blap balp! beautiful work santa monica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKqKBq2JCY
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder how much the text size problem was affected by the range of resolutions the game needed to render at.
    I would agree, but only if the text was larger than needed.  It being small usually would cause more issues with down scaling that usually happens.  Sure, they are building the game to be rendered at '4k' but in reality that scaling should not effect the text size.  Interesting point though, makes me also wonder if it was tech related in some regard.   Super excited to pick up this game this weekend!! 
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    This game is beautiful, a real masterclass in action adventure game making, I love how the game looks I think they purposefully muted the colour palette a little in comparison to games like uncharted as this is meant to be a more gritty story with colder gloomier locations. Perhaps that is why people are noticing less colour/ sss in skin.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
  • ArtSplash
    The overall quality of the game is amazing. I would be tempted to say it's AAAA. The lighting does look a bit flat, but it does feel cold. In terms of gameplay, I like this new direction better. To now have the ability to attack, block, kick, the wide variety of runnic attacks, etc. All that is great.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    oh man this is really cool... the 3 hours making of.... 

https://www.twitch.tv/gnomon_school/videos/all
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    those blood flow and wrinkle maps are really cool...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OU3NpVVZ6w
  • Hellmouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Character, and especially enemy, designs strike me as overdetailed to the point of looking like a mess in motion in-game. For example, the valkyries, they're well animated and all, but it's really hard to read what you're looking at most of the time. I think the weirdest thing is the fact that their wings are made of individually modeled metal plates in lieu of having a more coherent design for the entire thing?
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    oglu said:
    those blood flow and wrinkle maps are really cool...

Really nice. You can really get a sense of the skin being stretched over muscles and fat. 

Hellmouth said:
    Character, and especially enemy, designs strike me as overdetailed to the point of looking like a mess in motion in-game. For example, the valkyries, they're well animated and all, but it's really hard to read what you're looking at most of the time. I think the weirdest thing is the fact that their wings are made of individually modeled metal plates in lieu of having a more coherent design for the entire thing?

I had the same impression sometimes. Similar to the Bayonetta series; where a lot of the foes and bosses are over detailed with shiny and detailed assets but you can't really visually figure out what you are fighting.
  • Robert_Lamp
    I know there are no perfect games, but damn it, the new GOW has approached this mark as close to me as possible. The last time such emotions in me evoked, perhaps, the third Witcher. When I played the battle with a stranger at the end of the first big plot task (who was playing - he will understand) - it was just pure delight, sitting with a smile to the ears, and the sensations were as if just from a roller coaster rolled.

I have a good PC, and for a long time I did not dare to buy PS4, although the list of games I wanted to play grew and grew (Bladborn, Ancharted, Last of us, KhZD, even the coming Death Stranding of Kojima). GOW  was the last straw for me, I bought a console and I do not regret anything. The game is amazing and deserves all the praise that it gathers from critics and players. 10/10 does not mean ideal, but it means that minor imperfections simply dissolve against the background of its merits

• Barbanegra
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbanegra polycounter lvl 7
    I loved the lighting and the atmosphere!
  • Ashervisalis
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I just started this game a few days ago and it's blowing me away. I took some time to watch a Gnomon video by one of the lead concept artists and one of the lead environment artists, and it's definitely worth checking out. They go over the general art process, workflow, and artistic decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ojZiMGllY

• Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Loved the game.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

New video from GDC
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

God of War | Raising Kratos | "Making Of" Documentary

Raising Kratos documents the five year, herculean effort to reinvent one of the greatest stories in gaming, God of War. Facing an unknown future, Santa Monica Studio took a massive risk, fundamentally changing their beloved franchise and re-establishing their rightful place in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_R-K_IoUc