Home General Discussion

Where do developers get reference for Environments set in History?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
Hello Polycounters,

I've been playing through the Assassin's Creed games for the first time the last few weeks; making my way through them chronologically (Playing Unity currently) and something that's been bothering me, is just how exactly do Ubisoft artists gather reference material for their Environments?

I understand a lot of it is likely taking images of buildings, from the periods the games are set in, that are still standing or using concept work but there are still areas sometimes that I think "I just can't figure out how they know this is what it looked like."

Maybe I'm being dumb or naive about it all, but I'm genuinely curious as to how they can get such accurate representations without (far as I can tell) much reference? Especially games set in periods before the 19th Century.

I'd love some insight into it, and invite anyone who's maybe worked on an historical title or artists from Ubisoft themselves to clear it up for me, as I've been wracking my brain for a few days now and googling it like mad without much success.

Replies