Home Marmoset

WebGL normal map issue

d.merticariu
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
d.merticariu polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

I'm working on a some clothing models that are supposed to be used with WebGl and we had some issues implementing the models into the engine. We've tried a lot of things but haven't ruled out much of what may be causing this. What we arrived at really is a compromise more than a fix - lowering the intensity of the normal map, but I hardly think that's a solution for this so I'm hoping that someone might have a better answer.
Here's a screen shot side by side of how the model looks in marmoset toolbag and how it looks in marmoset - left and how it looks in webgl - right. 

If you'd have any answer on this we'd be really grateful, we've been struggling with this for some time now. Both version have improved in the meantime but I'm porting a screenshot from where the problem was at it's worst. 
So, let me know what suggestions or question you may have.

Thanks again! 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What WebGL engine are you using? It looks like the normal map is loaded as a bump map or something like that in the WebGL shot.
  • d.merticariu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d.merticariu polycounter lvl 10
    Hello, thank you for the reply.
    We're using WebGL 3. Our programmer is only using the .mtl I export from 3ds max to import the maps, which isn't working quite properly as it seems. 
    Do you have any suggestions on how a normal map should be setup in WebGL for it to be working as a normal map? 

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, thank you for the reply.
    We're using WebGL 3. Our programmer is only using the .mtl I export from 3ds max to import the maps, which isn't working quite properly as it seems. 
    Do you have any suggestions on how a normal map should be setup in WebGL for it to be working as a normal map? 

As far as setting up a normal map goes, there isn't anything special you need to do for WebGL that you wouldn't do for any other engine or renderer. By that I mean make sure you're using the correct type (tangent vs object space), the correct handedness (y+ vs y- or the orientation of the green channel), and make sure your normal map shader works correctly. If you speak to your programmer he should be able to clear all of this up.